PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How to do a clean install of Xubuntu under these conditions

lushan
August 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I currently have a dual boot Windows XP / Ubuntu. I would like to do a clean installation of Xubuntu into Ubuntu's partition, wiping Ubuntu at the same time. Is there any easy way of doing this?

I do not want to do aptitude Xfce and login a different session. I also cannot repair Windows XP boot loader because the Recovery Console asks for a password.

Thanks in advance.

Partyboi2
August 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Hi, you should be able to choose the "manual" partitioning option during the install and select your current root partition and reset the mount point to / as well as tick the box to format. This should install Ubuntu to the Xubuntu partition.

lushan
August 16th, 2009, 07:25 AM
So I double click the /dev/sda5 (currently ext4 Ubuntu), choose a drop down option for "Use as", check the "Format the partition" box and change the "Mount point" to /?

What does "Mount Point" mean?

I also have a /dev/sda6 marked as type swap. What is that?

Thanks.

Partyboi2
August 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
So I double click the /dev/sda5 (currently ext4 Ubuntu), choose a drop down option for "Use as", check the "Format the partition" box and change the "Mount point" to /?
Yes that is correct. A mount point is where the file system will be mounted.

I also have a /dev/sda6 marked as type swap. What is that?
The swap-partition is something like the page files under Windows.
You can read more about swap from here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

lushan
August 16th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks.

I would like to adjust my swap. But I ended up with the old one marked as linux-swap and a newly allocation swap. Is there a way to merge them into a new swap area?

lushan
August 16th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I deleted both swap areas and try to make a new one. I hope this was not a wrong move. Which type of partition should I use for a swap? primary? logical? Beginning? End?

Partyboi2
August 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM
You would use a "Swap Partition" for the swap, you can either have it as a primary or logical partition.