PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How to write special calendar Gnome applet?

mousemuffins
August 16th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Hiya! I've been trying for about two weeks now and haven't figured it out on my own, and I'm a bit tired of wading through terminal manuals and folders. I'm fairly new to Linux but would like to learn more.
I use Linux Mint (the newest; 7 Gloria) and I want to write my own Gnome applet. (Like near the mintMenu?) I have a normal time/calendar applet, but I was trying to make a special one based on the Discordian calendar. (You see today's date in the Discordian calendar if you type ddate into a terminal. There are even some variables that can be tweaked.) And, well, in short, I've tried many different commands and read quite a bit of code, but I just don't know how to write this, or modify the existing calendar. (I'd like to see them both...)
Also I have the other community editions of Mint on other partitions; but writing an applet for those doesn't mean as much to me, and it's probably different anyway (I assume; Fluxbox, XFCE and eventually KDE).
I know a bit about programming so I'm not afraid to change things, but I don't know how to do this on my own. Any help would be appreciated. :)

~ Mouse