PDA

View Full Version : Showing others the light of freedom

Jerry.S
August 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I have a lot of older dell's laying around (from a business I owned)and I have been thinking of donating one or two to someone in my church that would be in need of one. After I have been using ubuntu I am thinking of setting them up with ubuntu and OpenOffice.org. Not knowing to much about ubuntu would this be wise. The only thing that I can think of is that the person that receives one of the computers would be calling me to ask how to run it, or should I take it as an advantage to learn more about ubuntu for my self, helping someone else to learn it.

Is there some kind of website like LogMeIn? I use it now to log in to my moms computer tho help her out when she has problems. If there was a way to do it in Ubuntu please let me know.

nubimax
August 16th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I think it would be a good thing to put ubuntu on them it will give you more experience with ubuntu and I have found that open office to be very user friendly. when I go north I bring back Three to five older laptops for students here in the small village where I live. I have been thinking of doing the same thing here and putting ubuntu on them would give them a faster operating speed. and I need the experience.
M

tgalati4
August 16th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Whatever you do, keep one machine with the same distro on it. If you start with Jaunty, put Jaunty on all the machines. If you mix distros, you will be chasing problems with different distros on each one.

The machine you keep, you can learn it's in's and outs and be more helpful that way. It helps if the machines are configured nearly the same way. Try to put on at least 256 MB of RAM, but 512 or 1 GB is desirable.

I like Linux Mint because it uses Jaunty and has most things working out of the box. That saves you time from setting up each machine.

Older, business Dells run Ubuntu quite well. I have a Dell GX1 (500 MHz, PIII) that runs Linux Mint XFCE (lighter than standard Gnome install) and it's useful for most email/browsing, word-processing tasks.

sports fan Matt
August 16th, 2009, 03:44 AM
AFAIK, I do not know if there is a replacement for logmein. Anyone know?

Paqman
August 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Is there some kind of website like LogMeIn? I use it now to log in to my moms computer tho help her out when she has problems. If there was a way to do it in Ubuntu please let me know.

There's a .deb browser plugin available on the Logmein (https://secure.logmein.com/labs.asp) site that should sort you out. Looks like 32-bit only though.

ZankerH
August 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM
oh god, another FOSS crusader thread

Use what works from you, and stop rubbing it in everyone's nose. Nobody cares.

Jerry.S
August 16th, 2009, 05:21 AM

wha wha wha

DeadSuperHero
August 16th, 2009, 06:44 AM
oh god, another foss crusader thread

use what works from you, and stop rubbing it in everyone's nose. Nobody cares.

+1

Viva
August 16th, 2009, 06:49 AM

He is talking about donating computers that have ubuntu installed:rolleyes:

CharmyBee
August 16th, 2009, 06:53 AM

This is the best advice ever.
There is nothing wrong with being different. That is pretty much basic kindergarten social studies.

harry2006
August 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM
you must put ubuntu and donate those dell sys right away!!! btw, there is no replacement for logmein....m afraid...

CJ Master
August 16th, 2009, 07:25 AM

People complaining about "FOSS crusader's" are sometimes more annoying then them.

He wants to donate computers with Ubuntu on them to spread publicity. If whoever hes donating wants Windows, then let them ask him. It's not that big of a deal.

And no, I'm not a Zealot, I'm currently typing this on Windows. He's donating the computer(s), he can do whatever he wants with them.

chucky chuckaluck
August 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
donating a computer is nice. donating a computer for the purpose of indoctrination is not so nice, but as it's not a particularly effective method of indoctrination, it's a small issue.

tacantara
August 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
donating a computer is nice. donating a computer for the purpose of indoctrination is not so nice, but as it's not a particularly effective method of indoctrination, it's a small issue.

+1

It makes sense to me to put Ubuntu (or any Linux distro) on these donated laptops. I'm assuming that these laptops are older and would run more efficiently on Linux than Windows. Combine that with the cost factor, and the win goes to Linux. However, before the laptop is donated, be up front with the recipient regarding the various caveats that one should be aware of before trying Linux. If it's not their "cup of tea" then move on.

JMHO :)

K.Mandla
August 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'm on the fence, so to speak. I regularly give away machines with their licensed version of Windows on them, but I build them as split-boots so people have the option.

If nothing else it reinforces how poor the Windows side of the fence looks with no software installed, but everything works great in Ubuntu. :twisted:

But let's be honest, if you're giving it away you can do whatever you want with it. If the other person doesn't like it, they can buy a copy of Windows and install it for themselves. No skin off anybody's teeth.

stwschool
August 16th, 2009, 09:56 AM
For the indoctrination debate.. a computer is a tool to do a job. If Ubuntu is the best tool for the job, use it. If Windows is the best tool, use it. In a public environment where requirements are web surfing and office apps, frankly ubuntu wins hands down for cost and lack of required maintenance, which offset the learning curve issues. For other situations, you might need windows.

Swagman
August 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
People shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

If the recipricants decide they prefer windows then they can pay for a version of it.

That is all.

XubuRoxMySox
August 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I think it's awesome to donate computers with Ubuntu on them! Great idea, and very nice of you to do that for your church.

Since most people are familiar only with Windows or Mac, though, I think that if it were me, I'd make a remaster of Ubuntu with a super-simple graphical desktop like LXDE (http://lxde.org) on it so that newbies can just sit down and use the computer right away, with a minimal learning curve.

I have an old Dell at the dance studio that is shared by a lot of kids during the day between classes. It's an Ubuntu machine with the LXDE desktop. I renamed the icons to simplify it even more ("Browse the Web" instead of Firefox, "Music player" instead of Rhythmbox, Word Processor" instead of OpenOffice Writer, etc).

No one even knows it's Linux unless I tell them. They are amazed to hear it, because it's so fast and so simple. There's still a "geek mystique" around Linux that scares people away, but this effectively removes that obstacle.

More than a few "converts" have been won over to Ubuntu simply by providing a remix with that super-simple desktop.

There's even a "Christian edition" of Ubuntu that might have a lot of appeal to church folk.

It's a very cool thing you're doing! Don't be discouraged by a few snide comments from people who are reacting to something else that has nothing to do with you and what you're trying to do for your church.

You're awesome for doing it.

-Robin

bryonak
August 16th, 2009, 02:26 PM
For remote administration, you might want to set up a x11vnc server on the target machine, then log in with the Vinagre VNC client (Applications -> Internet -> Remote Desktop Viewer). Make sure you read the manual for performance/bandwidth optimisation.
Or you could use the vnc4server if you don't want your mother to watch you move her mouse and do the updates, because it starts in a new graphical session she would be unaware of.
If you're comfortable with the terminal and want to minimise bandwidth usage, you can also easily set up a ssh server (sudo aptitude install openssh-server) and log in (ssh target_username@target_ip).
Additionaly, you can then use X-over-ssh forwarding to start single remote applications on your desktop as if they were local. Don't forget the -C flag for compression.

If it's a Windows machine, activate Remote Desktop in Windows' System Properties (and don't forget to set firewall rules), which will let you log in via RDP. On Ubuntu simply open Applications -> Internet -> Terminal Server Client and enter the necessary data. rdesktop is another recommended RDP client (though a bit more... "advanced").

All the tools are already there, really...
To be honest, I never understood why one would use such software like LogMeIn when free VNC and RDP applications are abundant on every platform ;)

As for those anti-crusader-crusaders... it has been mentioned, he's giving the computers away.
It's not like they can't install whatever they want on it.

When Microsoft gives away free Windows licenses on computers for third world children, personally I think that's perfectly fine... I may not agree with the rest of that corporation's behaviour, but in this case the receivers do benefit and that's a Good Thing.

I'd object if they were forced to use that software by getting punished if they tried to use something else. Then again, that's a completely different discussion...

Jerry.S
August 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I'm on the fence, so to speak. I regularly give away machines with their licensed version of Windows on them, but I build them as split-boots so people have the option.

If nothing else it reinforces how poor the Windows side of the fence looks with no software installed, but everything works great in Ubuntu. :twisted:

That is a good idea. I think i will go that way.

running_rabbit07
August 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
One thing you can do to help these people out is put a copy of the Ubuntu Pocket Guide (http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html) on their desktop along with an office document with directions to the Ubuntu forums and some their links to get help.

The dual boot is a good option, too.

There is also Ubuntu CE (http://ubuntuce.com/) that may interest you and the people you may be donating to.

running_rabbit07
August 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM

If you can't take the time to read the OP, then don't post.

juancarlospaco
August 16th, 2009, 09:53 PM
SSH does everything you want, just read the docs, no offence.
good luck...
:)