PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I get fully Transparent Windows

Cortux
August 16th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Hello Everyone

I am unable to get my Windows fully Transparent in Ubuntu 9.04, I have installed Emerald which allows me to get the windows borders transparent.

Please advise.

coldReactive
August 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
You need ccsm (search in Add/remove)

open CompizConfig Settings Manager from System > Preferences after you install it.

See the attachment for what plugin and window types to look out for. You can also use the grab ( + icon ) method to grab other windows.

THIS WILL ALSO MAKE TEXT TRANSPARENT.

Cortux
August 16th, 2009, 01:26 AM
You need ccsm (search in Add/remove)

open CompizConfig Settings Manager from System > Preferences after you install it.

See the attachment for what plugin and window types to look out for. You can also use the grab ( + icon ) method to grab other windows.

THIS WILL ALSO MAKE TEXT TRANSPARENT.

Is there a way to set it permenantly, so that when you startup, its preconfigured without having to use ALT + button 4.

Also this seems to dim the whole window including the header.

Thanks

Cortux
August 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Bump

Anyone ??. Im sure someone has a solution.

SunnyRabbiera
August 16th, 2009, 05:41 AM
well is it that important?
If its just for effect then I say stick with your current setup, its not mission critical to make widows transparent.

Cortux
August 16th, 2009, 06:04 AM
well is it that important?
If its just for effect then I say stick with your current setup, its not mission critical to make widows transparent.

No, you right, its not that important. But I would really like to have it done cause its so cool, I love the way you can customise ubuntu.

Im sure someone knows how to do it.

MelDJ
August 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
i used emerald a long time ago. i think you can reduce the opacity of the window to zero in emerald and it will be transparent

rohn52
September 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
--- to maintain settings after re - boot

1. CCSM (CompizConfig Settings Manager)
2. Accessibility tab
3. Enable - Opacity, Brightness and saturation
4. click on - Opacity, Brightness and saturation
5. window specifics - +NEW - type 'any'
6. set value to 75-90.....

& VOILA!!

although as pointed earlier this does make the text and other features like pictures, videos, etc translucent too.. i am looking for ways to make these - specially text fully opaque...
my aim is too have completely transparent wiindows with these options completely opaque.....

solution pls!!

Cortux
September 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM
--- to maintain settings after re - boot

1. CCSM (CompizConfig Settings Manager)
2. Accessibility tab
3. Enable - Opacity, Brightness and saturation
4. click on - Opacity, Brightness and saturation
5. window specifics - +NEW - type 'any'
6. set value to 75-90.....

& VOILA!!

although as pointed earlier this does make the text and other features like pictures, videos, etc translucent too.. i am looking for ways to make these - specially text fully opaque...
my aim is too have completely transparent wiindows with these options completely opaque.....

solution pls!!

Thanks so much dude, at least its a step forward, keep me in the loop should you get it right.

keplerspeed
September 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Rohn52, thats one way to do it! See my tut, you can also set your menus to be transparent too!
Opacify your desktop - tutorial (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1197529)

3rdalbum
September 7th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I think KDE's Kwin can set up specific windows to be transparent from the get-go. But you need to be running KDE.