PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] iMac G3 - can't log in, username/pass not found

eric123abacus
August 15th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hi all,
First post here. Relatively experienced with linux, dual-booting on my intel macbook and all.

Trying to install Xubuntu 9.04 PPC Alternate on my old iMac G3. Installation goes fine and i set up a username and password but when I boot up to the login screen and try entering them it says username/pass is incorrect.

Capslock is off, the keys are producing the right letters in the textbox. I tried logging in on a terminal too and that produces the same result. I've even tried re-installing 3 different times with 3 different usernames and passwords and none work. Installation takes like 5 hours so I'd prefer not to have to do it again.

Can anyone help me get logged in here? My bootloader is Yaboot if you need to know. This computer is for my little brother so anyone helping me would be helping to introduce a teenager to the joys of linux.

Thanks so much for the help!!!!!!

sjpn
August 26th, 2009, 04:04 PM
same here. I just installed xubuntu 9.04 alternate ppc in my wife's imac g3 and i get the same exact problem. This is probably the 4th time installing with the same results. I haven't found anything in the forum yet. Anyone have suggestions?
Sorry I don't have a solution. I just thought I'd reply to let you know that you're not alone.

urosg3
August 26th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Can anyone help me get logged in here? My bootloader is Yaboot if you need to know. This computer is for my little brother so anyone helping me would be helping to introduce a teenager to the joys of linux.

Thanks so much for the help!!!!!!

Do you have external keyboard?

dzon65
August 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Had the same problem.Turned out dual boot installed in qwerty,not azerty.So,used username and password with letters that are the same in qwerty and azerty.Did the job for me.Afterwards you can adjust it in system,preferences.

sjpn
August 26th, 2009, 10:43 PM
i tried the install again with username peter password peter. according to this link
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-331-qwerty-azerty-keyboards
those keys are the same in both keyboards. I even selected the "USA - Macintosh" keyboard layout.
I still get "Incorrect Login"
The iMac is a pretty machine. I remember when it first came out and a tech was installing them in a school, he told the kids to wait and that they can't touch it. then one of the kids asked "can i hug it?"
pretty machine, but I just don't have the time for this anymore.

dzon65
August 27th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Sorry to hear that wasn't the answer you needed.Are you installing with a disc or through wubi?For me this login-problem happened with wubi.

Vlammetje
October 26th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Got the exact same problem, unable to log in. The whole qwerty/azerty doesn't seem to be the problem, as the a in my username is recognised just fine. My password is the same on both layouts anyway.

Can anybody please point me in the right direction to get this sorted?

Vlammetje
November 4th, 2009, 12:56 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1126463 try the suggestions in this topic