PDA

View Full Version : Debian and Ubuntu

zorkerz
February 1st, 2006, 12:17 AM
I had no idea where to post this, so here it is in the hopes that the Ubuntu community especially the developers will take notice. As we all know Ubuntu is a fork of Debian. I would like to state my firm belief and see if others agree that Ubuntu and Debian should remain highly compatable with eachother. It seams to me that staying close to Debian unlike many of the RedHat forks would be in the best interests of everyone. Not only would it save developers from writing similar code for both distros but ubuntu and debian can continue to benifit from the large package repositories. It might also make it easier for Ubuntu to make the leap to more than 3 computer architectures if desired in the future. Not to mention companies provideing support for Ubuntu like Canonical could in theory also provide support for Debian at some point. It seams to be an intelligent move in my mind for all Debian distro's to stay compatibly with Debian allowing for a greater network of shareing. What do you think?

saubz
February 1st, 2006, 12:19 AM
I tend to agree. Pooling resources is generally always a good idea. But at the same time, Ubuntu should keep its image and identity unique, as it is now.

matthew
February 1st, 2006, 01:17 AM
This topic has been beaten to death. Here's a link to Mark's wiki page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarkShuttleworth) where he states the whats, whys and wherefores of the Debian-Ubuntu relationship.

poofyhairguy
February 1st, 2006, 01:19 AM
It seams to be an intelligent move in my mind for all Debian distro's to stay compatibly with Debian allowing for a greater network of shareing. What do you think?

Ubuntu will stay within certain level of compatibility because it has to fork from Sid again and again and again. For as long as it lives. But it will never have perfect binary compatibility with Debian unstable or stable because otherwise Ubuntu could not make its own decisions on major thing s(like which Xorg or kernel version to use).

Read this post of mine to discover more:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=637223&postcount=17

And read why Mark does not shoot for perfect binary compatibility:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarkShuttleworth

xequence
February 1st, 2006, 01:58 AM
Ubuntu already has a bigger repository then debian.

jsgotangco
February 1st, 2006, 02:23 AM
It's all about the source (code) luke!

zorkerz
February 1st, 2006, 05:13 AM
glad to see its been discussed already

Seinfeld
February 3rd, 2006, 02:19 AM
Hi

Is it OK to add Debian official reposotries (e.g. debian testing) to the ubuntu sources.list ?

I have been using Debian (Mepis being a DCC) for some time and now have switched to Ubuntu and very happy with it. However, there are some packages there that are available right away (e.g. Azureus and some more). Is it OK just to add the Debian repository. ??

To be honest, when I tried that; my available packages (on synaptic) greatly expanded by about 2000 more. I am not sure if what I have done is OK or might have caused any conflict or deletion... Did it ?? What exactly happens for similar packages in that case??

Also, did I loose any Ubuntu packages, being replaced by a new package from Debian as result, in other words did I do something that's not recommended ?

I also noticed thatthe "update Manager" does not show automatic upgrades automatically, was that relevant ??

As you see I am a little confused :confused: , so your detaoled explanation is highly appreciated :)

Thanks a million