PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first service call! WOOT!!!

swoll1980
August 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
My first customer just dropped their tower off. I'm so excited I don't no what to do with my self. This is the first time in my life I'm getting paid for something I love to do. :P

gn2
August 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Enjoy it while it lasts, you'll soon get sick of it.

running_rabbit07
August 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Congrats!

Sick of easy money, never.

Sick of dealing with customers would be my problem.

swoll1980
August 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Enjoy it while it lasts, you'll soon get sick of it.

I've been fixing my families computers for the last couple years for free, so I'm just happy to get some money for it.

cariboo
August 15th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I just started my own computer repair business, I know how you feel about your first paying customer.

KiwiNZ
August 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Excellent , have fun.

gn2
August 15th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I've been fixing my families computers for the last couple years for free, so I'm just happy to get some money for it.

Don't get me wrong, I wish you every success as a pro PC fixer, what I found was that I very quickly got bored of fixing other people's problems which were nearly always pebcak errors.

lisati
August 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, I wish you every success as a pro PC fixer, what I found was that I very quickly got bored of fixing other people's problems which were nearly always pebcak errors.

And I've encountered a handful of ID-Ten-T errors as well, some committed by myself.

Good luck!

bobbob1016
August 15th, 2009, 10:09 PM

I do the same, mainly for the elderly (in my grandmother's retirement community). I've dealt with people who wanted really strange things, and had weird issues.

Make sure you setup your policies from the start. As in "Call me only between (I say 9am to 9pm)". When you get your first "crazy" customer, make sure you write their info down, and why they are on the crazy list.

Edit: Fixed the wording.

swoll1980
August 16th, 2009, 01:06 AM
When you get your first "crazy" customer, make sure you write their info down, and why they are on the crazy list.

I make sure to remember that. :)

Jimleko211
August 16th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Do remember that the customer isn't ALWAYS right. If he/she is making crazy demands, like a major discount (or is just being a major pain in the *ss), you don't have to fix his/her computer.

bobbob1016
August 16th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Another piece of advice from personal experience, if you get a call to fix something for a company, make *sure* you check everything.

If it is *anything* network related, do it only on days they aren't open. I recently reset a modem for someone for port-forwarding, since the modem was blocking things. For some reason, the IP address of one server was given a static IP through the modem, not through the OS or through the router. I couldn't do fix it since the original guy they had there knew the IP address, and what ports to forward.

They are using him again, because from their point of view, he fixed everything, not that he "booby-trapped" it for the next guy.

MikeTheC
August 16th, 2009, 03:25 AM
When you get your first "crazy" customer, make sure you write their info down, and why they are on the crazy list.

And don't forget torture. It can be very effective in determining the true cause of the system failure.

http://images.quizilla.com/H/hobsonphile/1067016052_zseasonone.jpg

"I confess. I'm the one who deleted all the files in the Windows directory."

MasterNetra
August 16th, 2009, 03:35 AM
My first customer just dropped their tower off. I'm so excited I don't no what to do with my self. This is the first time in my life I'm getting paid for something I love to do. :P

Congratz! I wish I could get payed to daydream...that be awesome. :lolflag:

Frak
August 16th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Did computer repair for 4 years while I was in college. Now I'm a web developer.

I hate the jobs about the same amount. Doing computer repair, nobody would admit to having, ehem, less than "moral" documents on their drive before I would let the young interns fix it (FREAKING CHECK BOX RIGHT ON THE PAPER PEOPLE). In web design, everybody gets mad at me for not getting stuff done on time when I'm CLEARLY not the one who can't make up their mind about where they want the login button to go.

Client: "Oh, you clearly know best!"
Me: "Ok, how about here"
Client: "NO, NO, NO, ALL WRONG!"

EDIT:
And you'll love fixing things for companies that *think* they know more than you do. I was doing charitable work for the local Red Cross, and the director thought he knew more than me and insisted that he just needed the IP address to connect his laptop to the local wireless router. I politely said "No" and went about my way and got a "Maybe we should only let people who really know what they're doing work on this..."

End of my charitable work for the day. Shame I didn't get a tax writeoff out of it.

swoll1980
August 16th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Yeah that's the best when they try telling you what to do. If they knew what they were doing they wouldn't need us.

stwschool
August 16th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Ah that brings back memories.. an old company I used to do web dev for.. our designer was pretty good, but the client was actually in the office every day standing over his shoulder telling him what to do. Seriously. Why buy a dog and bark yourself? Plus we had countless chancers who thought a website was a license to print money. People who knew nothing about computers or the internet would decide that selling laptops online would make them rich.. Like no-one else was doing that already.

Post Monkeh
August 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM
part of me would love to fix computers for a living, but another part of me reailises i'd have to be pretty successful at it to make more than i do now, and i'd also need to have the patience of a saint, given how much a lot of people think they know about everything. good luck!

khelben1979
August 16th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Sounds good!

kevdog
August 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
So was the first service call a success?

JillSwift
August 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM
How much excavation of dirt and cat hair was required to get to the mainboard?