PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OS unbootabl;e after last updates installed

mummerx
August 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I recall the last updates I installed (on my Jaunty system) contained libxml (libxml2?) and (possibly) javajre. At the sametime I was also installing Notecase Pro from a DEB sentto me by the author.

When I tried to start the app (from the "Office" menu), all I got was a circular hourglass icon for a few seconds. Same result on a second try.

I then tried to open a terminal session (from "Accessories"). This also gave me an hourglass.

I then rebooted the system. Big mistake. After the initial splash screen (with the sliding bar), all I got was a black screen and another hourglass. This one is permanent - it stays there forever, oruntil I switch off the PC.

The only other oddity I can report is that the index of the file tracker wen corrupt a few days earlier, for no apparant reason.

Please note, I do not believe that Notecase Pro is the culprit; more likely to be that update.

While any hints as to what has gone wrong would be interesting, I am far more interested in what I do now.

Do I wipe the isk and reinstall, or can I repair Ubuntu (if so, with what)?

My available resources are an old Knoppix DVD, and a Linux Format cover disk with a bootable copy of Jaunty on it.

Please help.
-- Douglas Brown

mummerx
August 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I should have added:
* I was running Ubuntu Jaunty (9.0.4),
* the PC hardware seems fine, in that I can run this Knoppix live DVD ok,
* I can see my hard disk's contents,
* I have a 2nd HDD to which I can copy a backup.

It's a family PC, so I will get on with backing up our /home folders to the 2nd HDD while I wait for some advice.

Pathetically grateful thanks in advance.
-- Douglas

mummerx
August 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM
In case anyone is interested, I have made excellent progress with this enquiry over at the Linux Format forums:
Click here to view thread (http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10621&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)