PDA

View Full Version : New Bleeding Edge Section

jdong
January 24th, 2005, 05:11 PM
At revision 9, I've added a "bleeding" section to all the backports repositories (alongside the usual main, universe, etc).

This is an area where I'll experiment with beta or bleeding technology. This may include:

Smart Package Manager
CVS Snapshots of Firefox, etc.
Wine snapshots
Not-so-stable enhancements, like enhanced features from the upstream release (i.e. upgrade-notifier, simple synaptic from Hoary).

The main difference between bleeding and -staging, is that staging stuff is going to go into the stable branch for sure, while the bleeding stuff is more experimentally natured.

So, common sense says that the stability won't be a big part of the bleeding branch, so don't add it to your sources.list unless you're really sure of what you're doing!

pulp
January 30th, 2005, 07:13 PM
At revision 9, I've added a "bleeding" section to all the backports repositories (alongside the usual main, universe, etc).

This is an area where I'll experiment with beta or bleeding technology. This may include:

Smart Package Manager
CVS Snapshots of Firefox, etc.
Wine snapshots
Not-so-stable enhancements, like enhanced features from the upstream release (i.e. upgrade-notifier, simple synaptic from Hoary).

The main difference between bleeding and -staging, is that staging stuff is going to go into the stable branch for sure, while the bleeding stuff is more experimentally natured.

So, common sense says that the stability won't be a big part of the bleeding branch, so don't add it to your sources.list unless you're really sure of what you're doing!
Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be useful, if there was

warty-backports
warty-backports-staging
warty-backports-bleeding

with the main, universe etc. sections for the first two of them (same for warty-extras)

instead of

warty-backports
warty-backports-staging

with "main" etc. AND "bleeding"?

I do think, that the "bleeding" section has nothing to do with stable and staging.

You're doing a great job with the backports. Thanks