ubudog
August 15th, 2009, 04:00 AM
What's the difference?

Keyper7
August 15th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Short version:

Compiz = window manager
Compiz Fusion = set of Compiz plugins

Compiz exists without Compiz Fusion, but the opposite is not true.

Long version:

Compiz Fusion is the remerge into Compiz of what was formerly known as Beryl. Beryl was a fork of Compiz that contained several changes that were not being accepted into the main branch. Several successful plugins were developed for it and some of their functionality was ported to Compiz in the form of the Compiz Extras plugin set. Eventually, it was decided that the best course of action would be to remerge the two projects. The stable Compiz was kept as the window manager and all extra functionalities from Beryl were ported as Compiz plugins and merged into Compiz Extras. That "Compiz Extras + Beryl Plugins" merge became known as Compiz Fusion.

t3swing
August 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM
in the homepage of compiz
http://www.compiz.org/
you can see
It is important to note that Compiz and Compiz Fusion are not the same thing (see: Compiz Fusion Vs Compiz).

ubudog
August 15th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Short version:

Compiz = window manager
Compiz Fusion = set of Compiz plugins

Compiz exists without Compiz Fusion, but the opposite is not true.

Long version:

Compiz Fusion is the remerge into Compiz of what was formerly known as Beryl. Beryl was a fork of Compiz that contained several changes that were not being accepted into the main branch. Several successful plugins were developed for it and some of their functionality was ported to Compiz in the form of the Compiz Extras plugin set. Eventually, it was decided that the best course of action would be to remerge the two projects. The stable Compiz was kept as the window manager and all extra functionalities from Beryl were ported as Compiz plugins and merged into Compiz Extras. That "Compiz Extras + Beryl Plugins" merge became known as Compiz Fusion.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

FeTTo
August 15th, 2009, 06:46 PM
none of this works with jaunty fyi

ubudog
August 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM
none of this works with jaunty fyi

Compiz works with Jaunty. I have it running now.

MythAaron
August 15th, 2009, 07:18 PM
And both projects are pretty much dead. It seems the re-merge was the worst thing to happen to the Opencompositing effort.

harry2006
August 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
i'm using both right now....

ubudog
August 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Well, thanks for your help everyone. :P

FeTTo
August 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
im referring to compiz fusion...and what ive been looking for with making multiple desktop backgrounds for each virtual desktop..fusion doesnt work, and wallpapoz is a worthless program.

ubudog
August 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
im referring to compiz fusion...and what ive been looking for with making multiple desktop backgrounds for each virtual desktop..fusion doesnt work, and wallpapoz is a worthless program.

Oh, I see.

FeTTo
August 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Oh, I see.
yeah should of specified...from what ive been reading..fusion was the thing to fix this problem and give me a diff background on each desktop..no such luck

ubudog
August 15th, 2009, 08:22 PM
yeah should of specified...from what ive been reading..fusion was the thing to fix this problem and give me a diff background on each desktop..no such luck

Ok. Thanks! :P