PDA

View Full Version : teach them young

#11u-max
August 15th, 2009, 03:26 AM
when my mom gets all of her business stuff off of my little brother's computer, i'm going to install an ubuntu distro on it. which flavor should i use? he's only 7 years old and seems to be enthusiastic about switching to *buntu. what do you all think?

Nburnes
August 15th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Why not just go with regular good ole ubuntu?

#11u-max
August 15th, 2009, 03:32 AM
i was also thinking edubuntu....... thoughts?

Dobbie03
August 15th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I have Kubuntu on my other pc, my eldest son who is six knows his way around already. I have helped him but he gets the idea.

sandyd
August 15th, 2009, 03:39 AM
install ubuntu, then install kubuntu-desktop, and the other GUIs. Then let him choose :D

#11u-max
August 15th, 2009, 03:41 AM
install ubuntu, then install kubuntu-desktop, and the other GUIs. Then let him choose :D
i knew i should've had that in the poll! oh well..... :D D'OH!

Stevie78
August 15th, 2009, 03:42 AM
i was also thinking edubuntu....... thoughts?

You didnt give us edubuntu as an option in the poll.... :)

But I would also say regular Ubuntu (I have zero experience with Xubuntu and Icebuntu so dont know about them)

Nburnes
August 15th, 2009, 03:44 AM

That sounds better than my idea.

georgegerm
August 15th, 2009, 03:44 AM
when it comes to things like teaching children may i suggest whatever version you choose (i would use ubu)try to keep the child focused on that distro MOST of the time. let the child develop trust, and awareness towards it. of course this does not mean one cannot show the rugrats that there are options..... as a matter of fact i believe one should !!
but let them master one thing at a time... it works for all things in life concerning the kids..
needless to mention what distro the laptop can handle is also an issue here lol!!
;)

Tipped OuT
August 15th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I suggest Ubuntu. Gnome is a great desktop envirment. Very easy and unique. I think if you let him use KDE, he might not learn much since it's a similar set up to a Windows DE.

:)

stwschool
August 15th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Well I've had great success with tiny kids and inexperienced adults with ubuntu (gnome) but have found that kubuntu can throw them a bit, and Xubuntu the same. However, as others have said, put them all on and let him try them all and just see which one he ends up booting into most often. I'd even argue it's good to let him use lots of different UIs as he'll never get stuck when he comes accross new stuff (that's the main reason I've got my kids using a whole bunch of different tools and different operating systems).

#11u-max
August 15th, 2009, 03:52 AM
You didnt give us edubuntu as an option in the poll.... :)

But I would also say regular Ubuntu (I have zero experience with Xubuntu and Icebuntu so dont know about them)
i had to put the icebuntu in there. it was a shameless plug :D

more details about the instalee [computer]:

it'a about a year old
it's an acer aspire4520 identical to the one i have ubuntu installed on
it has a 120 gb HD
it has an nVidia GEforce graphics card, i know that i can get it working right in *buntu
it has an AMD64 processor
it will be used mostly for flash games and web browsing [don't worry, i know how to get the flash working!]

more about the end user [my lil brother]

he likes to play with the wobbly windows on my computer so, i have to be able to install compiz on his computer
he leaves his computer on 24/7 if that matters. [it doesn't hurt my identical computer, so that shouldn't be a concern!]
he LOVES pac-man so, i would like to be able to theme his computer fairly easily.
he is young, so some sort of parental controls would be nice, but not manditory.

Tipped OuT
August 15th, 2009, 03:55 AM
i had to put the icebuntu in there. it was a shameless plug :D

more details about the instalee [computer]:

it'a about a year old
it's an acer aspire4520 identical to the one i have ubuntu installed on
it has a 120 gb HD
it has an nVidia GEforce graphics card, i know that i can get it working right in *buntu
it has an AMD64 processor
it will be used mostly for flash games and web browsing [don't worry, i know how to get the flash working!]

more about the end user [my lil brother]

he likes to play with the wobbly windows on my computer so, i have to be able to install compiz on his computer
he leaves his computer on 24/7 if that matters. [it doesn't hurt my identical computer, so that shouldn't be a concern!]
he LOVES pac-man so, i would like to be able to theme his computer fairly easily.
he is young, so some sort of parental controls would be nice, but not manditory.

Ah, then you should try Kubuntu, and install KDE 4.3 for him. Then just replace Kwin, with Compiz. Now he's in heaven.

I have 10 simple steps on how to use Compiz in Kubuntu (no terminal, all through GUI).

#11u-max
August 15th, 2009, 04:01 AM
when i get to install it, i'll try to have it all working within a week, or less if i get spare time. i'm still up in the air about edubuntu.......

CJ Master
August 15th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Ah, then you should try Kubuntu, and install KDE 4.3 for him. Then just replace Kwin, with Compiz. Now he's in heaven.

I have 10 simple steps on how to use Compiz in Kubuntu (no terminal, all through GUI).

No need. Kwin already has wobbly windows. :)

He'd probably be better off with Ubuntu even though I'm a KDE fan. KDE is meant for customization, and he should be fine with regular old Gnome. ;)

chucky chuckaluck
August 15th, 2009, 04:07 AM
use gentoo. unless he grows up compiling from the start, how will he ever learn?

Tipped OuT
August 15th, 2009, 04:09 AM
No need. Kwin already has wobbly windows. :)

He'd probably be better off with Ubuntu even though I'm a KDE fan. KDE is meant for customization, and he should be fine with regular old Gnome. ;)

Ah, but Kwin is very slow. When I replaced it with Compiz, KDE 4.3 was as fast as Gnome.

Also, Compiz does wobbly windows better then Kwin.

This is just my opinion of course. :)

PS: I just suggested him to use KDE, because it has more eye candy, which his brother may like.

#11u-max
August 15th, 2009, 04:09 AM
chuck, lol......

it's too late now, he has already learned how to use *shudders* vista.

Tipped OuT
August 15th, 2009, 04:14 AM
chuck, lol......

Which is another why KDE 4.3 will be perfect for him. XD

lykwydchykyn
August 15th, 2009, 04:16 AM
My seven year old just recently set up his computer with Xubuntu. It's a few years older than what you're setting up, so I gave him something slightly less resource-hungry. He likes the mouse mascot too.

The great thing is, it totally doesn't matter which one you install. You can just change desktop environments later if it's problematic.

#11u-max
August 15th, 2009, 04:16 AM
that's true.....

ahndoruuu
August 15th, 2009, 04:31 AM
whyever on earth anyone thinks kde is even remotely similar to Windows will forever be beyond my grasp.

Start him off on KDE, I say.
I used Gnome for about 6 months before I decided to try the competition. Went to KDE, never looked back.

HappinessNow
August 15th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Other: Macpup Opera or PC-BSD!! :P

MikeTheC
August 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Ubuntu FTW!!!

HappinessNow
August 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Vista!?!?...Kill em before it grows! :roll::lol:

XubuRoxMySox
August 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM
It's a hand-me-down computer so it may be light on resources.

You want simplicity and speed, use regular Ubuntu and install the super-simple LXDE desktop environment.

Icons can be dragged from usr/share/application to the desktop or put in the panel on the bottom.

Wallpapers can be added to usr/share/lxde/wallpapers and fonts adjusted for a more customized appearance for a 7-yr-old.

The most simplistic implementation of Ubuntu/LXDE is a distro called xPUD (http://penkia.blogspot.com/2009/06/xpud-09-better-desktop-for-your.html). Boots in 10 seconds, too (knowing how impatient 7-yr-olds are, that might matter too, lol).

-Robin

koleoptero
August 15th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I'd install ubuntu and set up a nice clean but flashy theme for him.

Last time I installed kubuntu-desktop KDE had a hard time starting from GDM and gnome from KDM, and both from WDM :P So I'd advise you to NOT complicate things at first.

georgegerm
August 16th, 2009, 10:01 PM
chuck, lol......

lol OMG
it is never to late to show him the way of his errors.....
when he sees ya shaking things around on ubu or any linux distro he will return...
if not call an exorsist lol !!!

Bachstelze
August 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
This thread has served its purpose, and already started to degenerate into Windows bashing.

Closed.

KiwiNZ
August 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I agree with the closing of this , however ( see Resolution Center) I have reopened this thread following appeal.

Please answer the OP's original questions and complete the poll if you wish. Please do not turn this into a Windows , Mac , Kubuntu Ubuntu bashing fest .

Thank you

#11u-max
August 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM
KiwiNZ, Thank you for re-opening this thread! :)

The Toxic Mite
August 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM
You should install Ubuntu BUT do the following:

Get rid of the top panel, and enlarge the bottom one a bit

Then add the Main Menu (Not the menu bar) to the bottom panel. Then install all the educational stuff.

DeadSuperHero
August 17th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I would personally install Mac OS for a young child, and enable the "Kid-Friendly" mode.

As for Linux variants, I'm not so sure. Some of the claims on these forums state that kids do just fine with KDE and Gnome, but I myself can't seem to make up my mind. When it comes to FOSS, interfaces aren't quite as intuitive as the competition sometimes. The gap has certainly shrunken, but that's just my opinion. I've been using various nixes for about 4 years now, and I can't quite remember what most people define as "easy computing".

But I digress, give him a try for KDE if you really think it'll work out.

KiwiNZ
August 17th, 2009, 01:00 AM
KDE or Gnome. I tend to think that KDE makes the migration a tad easier and it puts things in front of the new user more readily

sports fan Matt
August 17th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I have a question that hasnt been asked (at least I dont think so yet). How much RAM is in the pc (It sounds like a hand me down, so was thinking it may not have a whole ton of RAM). If it does, id suggest Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

#11u-max
August 17th, 2009, 01:07 AM
well, i'm using an identical computer to his and it has enough ram to run whatever i can throw at it.

#11u-max
August 17th, 2009, 01:09 AM
You should install Ubuntu BUT do the following:

Get rid of the top panel, and enlarge the bottom one a bit

Then add the Main Menu (Not the menu bar) to the bottom panel. Then install all the educational stuff.
that's exactly how mine is setup minus the educational stuff. that definitely helped me migrate.

mudguts
August 17th, 2009, 02:18 AM
My 2yr old has an Asus eee PC 701 running Xandros. For him, it's the LARGE icons that make it easy for him.
He can get to his Thomas the Train games and Go Diego Go stuff so he's happy.

Can access the .avi files of 'Cars', 'Bolt' etc. etc.

When he reaches the right age, I'll toss him an older laptop or two and see what he's happy with.

Kids are easy to please I find.

magmon
August 17th, 2009, 02:21 AM
My 2yr old has an Asus eee PC 701 running Xandros. For him, it's the LARGE icons that make it easy for him.
He can get to his Thomas the Train games and Go Diego Go stuff so he's happy.

Can access the .avi files of 'Cars', 'Bolt' etc. etc.

When he reaches the right age, I'll toss him an older laptop or two and see what he's happy with.

Kids are easy to please I find.

Not only kids, lol. Ive been scrounging old computers and fixing em up recently, it's quite fun. However, I have had problems organizing my videos and music xD.

mamamia88
August 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
mint 7

Dullstar
August 17th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Since the thread's been reopened... I'm going to recommend regular Ubuntu. GNOME is a good desktop environment, because it is extremely customisable right out of the box (whereas, at least, when I installed KDE, it only came with one theme and the only obvious theme customisation tool appeared to be the background). Plus, I learned my way around GNOME in a day or two.

jimi_hendrix
August 17th, 2009, 03:21 AM
even though i am using KDE (i need a change in look), i find more customization in gnome...so he can go get artistic.

TheNosh
August 17th, 2009, 03:51 AM
chuck, lol......

then go with gnome, no top panel, and gnomenu if you want him it to feel farmiliar.

alternatively, if he wants to really learn something new give him either e17 or one of the box WMs (fluxbox, openbox, blackbox, etc)

raymondh
August 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM
My nine-year old went from gOS to crunchbang. I know, I know, it's not among the choices but .... both are still ubuntu-flavored :)

TheNosh
August 17th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I know, I know, it's not among the choices

i believe that's why we have "other"

#11u-max
August 18th, 2009, 12:50 AM
thanks for all of the responses, i think i will do screenshots of ubuntu and kubuntu and let him choose one, and let him go from there.

bapoumba
August 18th, 2009, 06:47 AM
A little late here: instal a ubuntu version you are comfortable with.
My kids all started with the basic gnome version I could trouble shoot and help them with when they had questions.
The eldest one has now tested a lot of distributions and ubuntu versions. He's back to gnome on his desktop and xubuntu on a shared old laptop, because this is the ones I can help better with. I told him he could install whatever he wants, but I could not support everything. He was quite alone, started all over several times and learned from his experiences. Now he uses liveCDs when he wants to look at other distributions.