PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Floppy?

iwant2
August 15th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I just installed unbuntu on a Compaq descktop. How do I get it to read a floppy?

jm2
August 15th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Put your floppy in the drive.

If you are using the graphic display, At the top Applications, Places, System. Look at Places, if your floppy drive isn't listed, then go under computer, and see if it's there.
If you find it, just click on it, and it should show you what the contents of the floppy is.

If it isn't found above, then Goto Applications, Accessories, Terminal.
At the $ type

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
then press the enter key

(What this is saying is computer load the contents of /dev/fd0 (your floppy drive) into /mnt/floppy (area on the linux computer).)

You might need to set the type of the floppy if the above doesn't work.
See man mount

You can also search the forum for floppy drive.

I hope this will point you in the right direction

iwant2
August 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Typed

then I pressed the enter key

Got
No such file or directory

Where does one see man mount?:confused:

iwant2
August 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Put your floppy in the drive.

If you are using the graphic display, At the top Applications, Places, System. Look at Places, if your floppy drive isn't listed, then go under computer, and see if it's there.
If you find it, just click on it, and it should show you what the contents of the floppy is.

If it isn't found above, then Goto Applications, Accessories, Terminal.
At the $ type

then press the enter key

(What this is saying is computer load the contents of /dev/fd0 (your floppy drive) into /mnt/floppy (area on the linux computer).)

You might need to set the type of the floppy if the above doesn't work.
See man mount

You can also search the forum for floppy drive.

I hope this will point you in the right direction

I give up. What might some types of floppy drives be and is the command something like this:
mount /dev/fd0/mount/floppy/typeshere?

All I really want to do is to run a file from a floppy. Why is that so difficult?

iwant2
August 16th, 2009, 03:43 AM
With the amount of time I have spent unsuccessfully on the floppy & internet connection for
Ubuntu, I would have had a more profitable use my time by simply purchasing Windows XP instead.

I could actually be using my other computer instead of trying to make it work.](*,)

lisati
August 16th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Typed
"mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
then press the enter key"

Got
"No such file or directory"

Where does one see man mount?:confused:

Don't type the quotes, and don't type in the "then press the enter key" bit.

Put your floppy in the drive and then type the following in on the command line:

iwant2
August 16th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Typed

then I pressed the enter key

Got
mount: only root can do that

Marlonsm
August 16th, 2009, 04:20 AM
When you need root, just put a "sudo" in front of the command:

sudo mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
it'll ask you the password, so type it and press Enter.

With the amount of time I have spent unsuccessfully on the floppy & internet connection for
Ubuntu, I would have had a more profitable use my time by simply purchasing Windows XP instead.

I could actually be using my other computer instead of trying to make it work.](*,)

Sometimes it is easier to do certain things in Windows, and sometimes it's easier in Ubuntu. I've once gone back to Windows for a few weeks, just then I realized how much better it was in Ubuntu for me.
But maybe that's not your case, there is not such a thing like the ultimate OS that is the best for everybody, so some will be better in Windows, some in Ubuntu/Linux, some in OSX...

iwant2
August 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
When you need root, just put a "sudo" in front of the command:

sudo mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppyit'll ask you the password, so type it and press Enter.

Did that.
Got:
mount: mount point /mnt/floppy does not exist

:rolleyes:

iwant2
August 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM
My floppy will be able to read files in a few days. I'll also be able to hook up a midi hassle- free.

I just won XP off of ebay! :)

cmapesjr
August 17th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Glad you got it sorted out. :)

bwallum
November 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Glad you got it sorted out. :)

Not too sure this thread ended at all well. I've got a similar headache with the floppy drives on three machines, two AMD64 and a i386.

How exactly do you get a floppy drive to work in Karmic please?