PDA

View Full Version : best netbook

XKCD64
August 15th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I was eyeing the System 76 Starling, but I wanted to know what you guys think is the best netbook for using ubuntu?

cmannnn
August 15th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I have an acer aspier one i put ubuntu not the netbook remix on it

nwadams
August 15th, 2009, 12:25 AM
i'm a huge fan of the eeepc series. The 1000he is a great model. long battery life. From what i can tell works good with ubuntu (i don't have one personally)

hockeyfighter09
August 15th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I've also heard good things about Dell and HP netbooks. Personally I like of the HP one better :P

john stiles
August 15th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Very happy with the eeepc 1000 with ubuntu netbook remix.

Daveski
August 15th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I have an eeepc 901 which I am about to put Ubuntu NR on. The Dell Mini 10v with Ubuntu is pretty good and the keyboard is much nicer than the eeepc (although slightly bigger)

lswartz
August 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM
My Dell Mini 9 far exceeds my original expectations. I would certainly buy it again today although I would get an 8 or 16 GB SSD vs a 4 GB. My son liked it so well he bought the Mini 10 - it has a larger keyboard. Either Mini would be an excellent choice.

Ubuntu is just suburb. I put 9.04 on an old laptop that took 4-5 minutes to boot & it is now booting to a wireless connection in 1 minute. I was going to save the HD & junk it. Maybe I didn't need the Mini 9 after-all :P

aysiu
August 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM
If you don't mind buying Windows preinstalled, the best netbook is probably the Asus Eee PC 1000HE. Large (for a netbook, anyway) screen, keyboard, hard drive capacity. And extremely long battery life... at a reasonable price.

The best-looking netbook is probably the HP Mini. I have one, and it is super-sleek-looking. Unfortunately, its battery life is ****-poor. It costs less than the 1000HE, though. Not sure what budget you have.

The Dell Mini might be worth looking into, though, if you want Ubuntu preinstalled. There is an HP Mini that has a version of Ubuntu preinstalled, but it's terrible (I got it).

And, of course, you can support the Linux cause further by buying a netbook from System76 or ZaReason.

C.A.G.
August 18th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I love my Dell Mini 9. The 8 gig sdd is a little tight but the price was unbeatable. Buy an sdhc card. Its worth it. The netbook looks cool too.:)

Bigtime_Scrub
August 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I got a Acer Aspire One with a 8G SSD thats pretty speedy. It came with Linpus Light but I put Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it. Linpus was very speedy, Ubuntu is slightly slower but it is fast enough and all the packages are more up to date. Everything works well, the only downside I would say is the battery life is not that great, but thats the trade off because this Aspire One is tiny and has a really bright screen.

tehchibipanda
August 18th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I myself got the Acer Aspire One. It came with XP, which I took off and put the Netbook remix of Ubuntu on. Now it's a mini powerhouse. I like how I can switch modes to have it look like my normal laptop, or the netbook layout.

HermanAB
August 18th, 2009, 04:36 AM
A netbook with a spinning hard disk is so 20th century, it just isn't a real netbook. Zareason makes a netbook with a SSD:
http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16216&cat=0&page=1

An SSD machine is a helluvalot faster than a HDD machine.

aysiu
August 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM
A netbook with a spinning hard disk is so 20th century, it just isn't a real netbook. Zareason makes a netbook with a SSD:
http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16216&cat=0&page=1

An SSD machine is a helluvalot faster than a HDD machine.
The ZaReason is actually a spinning HD by default. You have to pay to upgrade to an SSD.