PDA

View Full Version : wifi phone with ekiga

zorkerz
August 14th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hi all

I am simply looking for a phone that has wifi and ekiga. I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices for a cell phone plan in the US and have decided I can get by with a wifi phone if I can find one that uses open source software. Im looking for something that is small can connect to wifi networks and uses ekiga.

Essentially a cell phone that fits in my pocket but has wifi.

I have done more internet searching for this than anything before in my life over the last few months and have come up entirely dry. There has to be some smallish device that I can install ekiga on with wifi.

I put this in community cafe because it is not particularly ubuntu specific though idealy I could find a device with ubuntu MID. If there is a more appropriate section on ubuntuforums to discuss this please let me know. Ekiga does not appear to have its own forums or I would have started there. Instead I defaulted here because I find ubuntuforums to be the most helpful forum on the web.

cptrohn
August 15th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I've never seen one that has Ekiga installed, but there are quite a few that use Skype.... I use one basically for a home phone.

zorkerz
August 15th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Yes I know you can get skype phones. I am really trying to avoid this. I would like to use open source software.