PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu

Chame_Wizard
August 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM
LXDE is a very lightweight and minimal desktop environment using the openbox window manager, the pcmanfm file manager, and a very select list of default applications. It is compatible with basic freedesktop standards and all needed parts are already packaged in Ubuntu today
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/UbuntuLxdeDesktop

The LXDE desktop uses the Openbox window manager and is intended to be a low system requirement, low RAM environment for netbooks, mobile devices and older PCs. In this role it will compete with Xubuntu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu

Anyone using it(beta/RC)?I don't see any good screen shots yet.:lolflag:

At least the logo is nice.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c3/LubuntuLogo.png:guitar:

HappinessNow
August 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/UbuntuLxdeDesktop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu

Anyone using it?I don't see any screen shots yet.

At least the logo is nice.
Interesting. :P

Chame_Wizard
August 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah,it's indeed nice.:guitar:

cmay
August 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
i do not use it. but i keep an eye on it since what i use is lxde and open box build on a minimal ubuntu iso image. the smallest there is to download. i love this desktop and i love open box. i will off course use the lubuntu distribun when it comes out. if there is a beta that is stable i might try it . but i dont do so much betat testing anymore since i dont see that well anymore. i am inclined to just want things to work,
i cant wait for lubuntu to be released as stable. its going to be great on small notebooks and laptops and older computers if done right. i also use lxde and open box on debian on one of my set ups.-

Chame_Wizard
August 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Seems like you can't download it as live CD yet,only as alternative DE.:(

coldReactive
August 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM

And, searching lubuntu in Synaptic finds nothing.

Nburnes
August 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I've heard of Lubuntu but have never actually seen any screenshots. :(

Seems interesting enough, but I still would like to see it.

meeples
August 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM
is any one else reading it like i am?

lub(e)-untu?

or am i just dirty minded?

Sporkman
August 15th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Hows about LucyLiuBuntu?

Dullstar
August 15th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I guess people actually like LXDE, then, eh? I don't know about you guys, but I never really liked it.

.Maleficus.
August 15th, 2009, 02:27 AM

And, searching lubuntu in Synaptic finds nothing.
Lubuntu is not (IIRC) a Canonical project so like the Icebuntu spinoff that has recently been started, it will not be on the Ubuntu website and probably not in Ubuntu repos. This is how I remember it anyways, it might have changed since then.

Sporkman
August 15th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I just tried LXDE & generally like it, except it makes webpages on firefox look different - the font and spacing looks weird - why is that?

Btw Chame_wizard thanks for the logo - I replaced the standard LXDE main-menu logo with yours.

XubuRoxMySox
August 15th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I, too use LXDE on a minimal Ubuntu installation and it rawks. Superb speed and wonderful simplicity.

It's not eye candy and has no special visual wow factor. For me the wow factors are:

1.) Its mind-bending speed on my ancient, low-resource computer,

2.) Its elegant simplicity that allows a user who may know only Windows or Mac to just sit down and use it effortlessly,

3.) The built-in file manager (PCManFM) with its drag-and-drop ease and simple interface,

4.) Its quick and easy customizability (wallpapers, themes, font sizes, etc), and

5.) It's own support forum and access to the developers.

A lot of kids use this old computer and none have ever had any trouble finding their way around the applications. I get frequent compliments about its speed and ease. Which makes it a great tool for winning people over to Ubuntu.

An LXDE fanboy,
Robin
(who can hardly wait for Lubuntu to be released)

Glucklich
August 15th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Best news I ever read on this forums. Keep up the good work. Can't wait for October now...

Chame_Wizard
August 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I, too use LXDE on a minimal Ubuntu installation and it rawks. Superb speed and wonderful simplicity.

It's not eye candy and has no special visual wow factor. For me the wow factors are:

1.) Its mind-bending speed on my ancient, low-resource computer,

2.) Its elegant simplicity that allows a user who may know only Windows or Mac to just sit down and use it effortlessly,

3.) The built-in file manager (PCManFM) with its drag-and-drop ease and simple interface,

4.) Its quick and easy customizability (wallpapers, themes, font sizes, etc), and

5.) It's own support forum and access to the developers.

A lot of kids use this old computer and none have ever had any trouble finding their way around the applications. I get frequent compliments about its speed and ease. Which makes it a great tool for winning people over to Ubuntu.

An LXDE fanboy,
Robin
(who can hardly wait for Lubuntu to be released)

http://i.fok.nl/s/kwijl.gif
Good to know.http://i.fok.nl/s/koffie.gif

chris4585
August 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Lubuntu is not (IIRC) a Canonical project so like the Icebuntu spinoff that has recently been started, it will not be on the Ubuntu website and probably not in Ubuntu repos. This is how I remember it anyways, it might have changed since then.

Icebuntu is not a recent project, it was started a while ago, and development slowed down, and was picked back up. On topic, Lubuntu as a livecd would be a godsend for people on slower hardware compared to Xubuntu, which isn't actually meant for slower computers anymore.

Chame_Wizard
August 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
According to wikipedia,Lubuntu will be released with 9.10 Karma Koala.:guitar:

lisati
August 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM
is any one else reading it like i am?

lub(e)-untu?

or am i just dirty minded?

Not at all. Doing a "lube job" (changing the oil etc) for a car is perfectly respectable.

Edit (to this post more than idle chit-chat): I'll be interested in checking it out if Lubuntu is released in "Live CD" format.

jaxxstorm
August 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I personally prefer Icebuntu (http://www.icebuntu.com) - I prefer IceWM's speed and look.

Chame_Wizard
August 15th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Nah,no go for me(stay with Kubuntu,adding Lubuntu or Debian with LXDE).:lolflag:

NormanFLinux
September 8th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Its in the repositories as LXDE. You can install it alongside GNOME and KDE. The Lubuntu distribution is intended to be a pure LXDE operating system. You can begin minimal and add what you really need without the bloat. The PCLOS gold release is actually quite polished and runs very fast on a netbook with a Via C-7 chipset. No artifacts showing during bootup.

NormanFLinux
September 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
It has a Windows feel to it and parts of it use GNOME. Its an operating system that follows the KISS principle. Its not Linux for geeks. You just boot up and you can't tell it isn't Windows... LXDE shows an operating system can have a GUI that's beautiful, light, fast and user-friendly. If you come from Windows, there is minimal adjustment to feel right at home in it.

NormanFLinux
September 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM
You can adjust the font size. Increasing them on a netbook makes it more readable. The taskbar has pinnable widgets. Cool. This is closest Linux gets to Windows 7.

jaxxstorm
September 8th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I've been keeping track of the development of of Lubuntu on the mailing list, and I'm worried about the way it is going.

For a start off, they refuse to consider replacing the heavier gnome components with lighter alternatives. Network-manager is going to be default, simply because "Thats ubuntu's way of doing things" which is a silly reason, especially considering network-manager pulls 100mb of unnecessary dependencies with it. Stuff like GDM and network-manager are the things that Lubuntu should be removing, otherwise you just end up with another derivative like Xubuntu - supposedly lightweight, but in reality just a lightweight Desktop environment that has been bloated by GNOME.

When I started making Icebuntu/Spri, they were 3 months down the line creating Lubuntu. I'm getting ready to release a final release based on Jaunty, and Lubuntu is skipping jaunty altogether to head for karmic. i can't really understand why. They have lots of devs, a huge packaging team, and I'm just one person doing the same work by myself.

My personal aim is to keep Spri lighter than Lubuntu, and if they keep going the way they're going, I don't think it'll be too difficult.

earthpigg
September 9th, 2009, 12:37 AM
they may simply be using GDM and other GNOME stuff for the same reason i do in my project... when you add additional WMs and/or DEs, GDM updates its list of options automatically. gnome and lxde both strive to be very freedesktop.org compliant, so gnome/lxde components can be switched around and used with others all over the place - unmodified - with astounding success. the default gnome/ubuntu menu editor (alacarte) also works with lxde, for example.

anyways,

Lubuntu could be great or, as jaxxstorm pointed out, it could end up simply xubuntu redoux.

looking here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Applications) makes me a bit skeptical. following the established pattern -- the established pattern that makes xubuntu to heavy/bloated for some... that same individual may be to intimidated by a pure command-line install, and thus move away from Ubuntu as a whole because they don't see any official derivatives that suit their needs/desires.

what would be really great (and what would make me retire the Ubuntu-with-LXDE-remix project in my sig) would be if they followed crunchbang's lead and released a "Lite" version without random applications that i (or you, etc) may or not prefer. who here does not already know what their favorite music player, word processor, presentation creator, DVD burner, media player, etc, is?

some don't, no doubt. some (most?) just know that 'the Ubuntu default' is their favorite for task X.... that is the theory behind my "additional packages (http://sites.google.com/site/masonux/home/ease-of-use)" page.... note the very first thing listed there is how to install Ubuntu's default "Add/Remove Applications" in Masonux. (hopefully, that page may end up being useful for future Lubuntu users... if the project doesn't needlessly fork LXDE, which i don't think it will)

Lubuntu will end up filling a niche and attracting more Ubuntu users and more GNU/Linux users in general, which is a good thing no doubt. the official seal of Ubuntaproval will do a lot to help LXDE.

...i'm sure some current and potential future Masonux users will migrate to Lubuntu, but thats ok.

shameless promotion time (following jaxxstorm's lead... :lolflag:

Masonux comes with all the awesomeness of LXDE, ubuntu's networking applet, ubuntu's dual-boot-friendly graphical installer, firefox, and pidgin and.... well, not much else. install your preferred applications on your own using synaptic or add/remove :D

its also available now.

uses 1gb of hd space and 60mb of ram at boot.

directions to install on systems with less than 256mb of ram at the site, too, though its not as easy.

|
|
\/

K.Mandla
September 9th, 2009, 01:42 AM
A couple of screenshots.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/09/05/lubuntu-looks-promising/

I was going to try to install it by bringing installing Ubiquity in the live environment and seeing if it would cram itself on to the hard drive, but I got distracted. I hate that when it happens. ...

RabbitWho
September 9th, 2009, 01:56 AM
is the logo based on lugia from pokemon?

Glucklich
November 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM
So, what happened to this project? Aiming for the next release or a late 9.10?

mivo
November 3rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
So, what happened to this project? Aiming for the next release or a late 9.10?

I'm wondering about this, too. I was hoping for a simultaneous release with 9.10. I have an old laptop sitting around that I would like to try it on (vs. a custom Arch installation which would take me more time). What's the official word on a possible Lubuntu release date?

XubuRoxMySox
November 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
At first they were hoping for Lubuntu to be released with Karmic, but it is not to be. The earliest anyone should expect is Lucid Lubuntu, in April of 2010. The advantage is that it will be a long-term-support release (as well as giving them time to deal with all the bugs, which are too numerous to count).

-Robin

NormanFLinux
November 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Exactly. There was too little time to get it ready for Karmic. So they have to wait til the next release to get a stable version out. Its biggest shortcomings are the lack of an installer and wireless support. Those should fixed by the time Lucid appears.

earthpigg
November 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
guys, lubuntu-desktop is in the repos. :D

from a standard ubuntu-desktop install, for those that dont want to bother:

chris@ubuntu-vm:~$ sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
[sudo] password for chris:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
network-manager network-manager-gnome
The following NEW packages will be installed:
abiword abiword-common abiword-help abiword-plugin-grammar
abiword-plugin-mathview aqualung arj cheese curl galculator gnash
gnash-common gnumeric gnumeric-common gnumeric-doc gpicview leafpad
libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libaiksaurus-1.2-data libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a
libaudio2 libavcodec52 libavformat52 libavutil49 libboost-date-time1.38.0
libboost-thread1.38.0 libburn4 libcddb2 libcelt0 libcompfaceg1 libexo-0.3-0
libfaac0 libffado1 libfreebob0 libgdome2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a
libgnomecups1.0-1 libgnomeprint2.2-0 libgnomeprint2.2-data
libgnomeprintui2.2-0 libgnomeprintui2.2-common libgoffice-0-8
libgoffice-0-8-common libgsm1 libgtkmathview0c2a libifp4 libisofs6 libjack0
libjpeg-progs liblink-grammar4 liblrdf0 liblua5.1-0 liblzo2-2 libmad0
libmenu-cache0 libmodplug0c2 libmp3lame0 libmpcdec3 libobparser21
libobrender21 liboggz1 libonig2 libopenal1 libots0 libpostproc51
libqt4-network libqt4-xml libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libreadline5 librpm0
librpmbuild0 librpmio0 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libsvga1 libswscale0 libt1-5
libthunar-vfs-1-2 libuniconf4.6 libwv-1.2-3 libwvstreams4.6-base
libwvstreams4.6-extras libx264-67 libxfce4util4 libxfcegui4-4 libxfconf-0-2
libxml++2.6-2 libxvidcore4 link-grammar-dictionaries-en lubuntu-desktop
lxappearance lxde-common lxde-core lxde-icon-theme lxde-settings-daemon
lxinput lxmenu-data lxpanel lxrandr lxsession lxsession-edit lxshortcut
lxterminal manpages-dev metamail mplayer mplayer-nogui mplayer-skins mtpaint
obconf openbox openbox-themes p7zip-full pcmanfm pidgin pidgin-data
pidgin-libnotify powernowd pyneighborhood python-urwid rpm sharutils smbfs
smplayer smplayer-themes smplayer-translations sylpheed sylpheed-i18n tcl
thunar-data transmission transmission-cli ttf-liberation wicd wvdial
xarchiver xchat xchat-common xfburn xfconf xscreensaver
xserver-xorg-input-evtouch
0 upgraded, 142 newly installed, 2 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 84.3MB of archives.
After this operation, 277MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

coldReactive
November 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
guys, lubuntu-desktop is in the repos. :D

We want an actual CD/DVD we can use. Otherwise, can you tell me how to remove EVERYTHING that's included in ubuntu's cd, and then install lubuntu-desktop?

Oh and, what if we don't have a network connection?

RiceMonster
November 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
We want an actual CD/DVD we can use. Otherwise, can you tell me how to remove EVERYTHING that's included in ubuntu's cd, and then install lubuntu-desktop?

Install mini.iso then add lubuntu-desktop

coldReactive
November 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Install mini.iso then add lubuntu-desktop

And if we don't have a network connection?

earthpigg
November 3rd, 2009, 04:22 PM

do i get partial credit if i can tell you how to do a command line install? :D

you are correct though, im sure the eventual goal is a LiveCD. i think i saw the version number in synaptic as 0.71. if we make the incorrect assumption that Canonical reckons version numbers conventionally, which they do not but we can pretend, then i believe that would put it in beta at this point.

earthpigg
November 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
results of installing lubuntu-desktop, btw, if anyone would like to know:

NetworkManager is indeed gone, the depend list installed, and the result is a perfectly plane-jain LXDE desktop.

it looks like this: http://images.google.com/images?q=lxde desktop

package info (http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/lubuntu-desktop).

Simian Man
November 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
If anyone's interested, Fedora 12 will feature an LXDE spin. The release candidate will be out tomorrow with the final release due in two weeks :).

coldReactive
November 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
If anyone's interested, Fedora 12 will feature an LXDE spin. The release candidate will be out tomorrow with the final release due in two weeks :).

Lubuntu was supposed to be released with 9.10, so we'll see how Fedora does.