PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installing ununtu on a Compac Proliant 3135 series server

abansb
August 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
First off I want to thank everyone for a great forum and people here are willing to take their time and help people with their systems

O.k I have a Compaq Proliant series 3135 server just sitting in the corner doing nothing I am wanting to install ubuntu on it and put it to use I have a few questions

1.) Is there anyway that I can install ubuntu on it ?

2.) If it is possible what version of Ubuntu will work (server) ?

3.) Will I have any problems with the hardware I know it has 4 SCSI Harddrives 2 CPU's

4.) Will it be worth trying to install Ubuntu server on this machine?

edit: 5.) I forgot to add I seen some where that there is away to control the server from my desktop through the web without a monitor, keyboard or mouse hooked up after install will this also be possible to do ?

Also it has Windows 2000 server install I want to remove this all together

If any one can point me in the right direction or help on setting Ubunbtu up on this machine would be greatly appropriated

I have seen a site on a Compaq proliant 1600 series server but not for sure it would be the same here is the link to the site

http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/servers/debian-on-a-compaq-proliant-1600.jspx

Thanks in advance

Sorry for the typo in the title I tried to change it but could not

If no one can help that is fine I will try and search for how to install or try to install with the link above to see if it will work or not

abansb
August 15th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I have searched and searched and have found nothing I don't guess it is possible to install ubuntu on this machine :(

abansb
August 16th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I have downloaded the ubuntu 7.04 server with the smart array I also download the smart start 5.5

I have setup the smart array controller but when I go to install ubuntu 7.04 I get a Kernel panic

I have been trying to install ubuntu on this machine for 2 days I am not having any luck what so ever if anyone could please help me out a little would be appreciated

Thanks
Tom

abansb
August 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
What ticks me off I get a kernel panic in ubuntu 7.04 server and windows xp will install I used it to see if it was the system but Windows XP will install with no problem and I don't want to run XP on this machine

What would cause a kernel panic how can I resolve this I guess I am just posting this for nothing b/c of no replies or help with this

I am not saying no one wants to help I am saying it is probably a lost cause and will never get it to work

I was wanting to use the server as a file server for my network