PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need to erase and reinstall Jaunty on hd0 /dev/sda1

luangwa
August 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM
When I first installed Jaunty I created two partitions One for Jaunty and the other for Home. Due to many trials and tribulations that I won't go into, I want to erase Jaunty from the first partition without changing the structure and then reinstall Jaunty. I have Gparted on a CD but I'm not sure how to safely proceed to leave the Home partition with all my data alone.

sblunix
August 14th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Boot Up With Live CD, Install, Go Through Steps Until It Asks About Partitions, Select "Manually Configure Partitions" Then go ahead and Telll it to format the "/" mount drive and install there, while keeping the /home/ drive the same. :)

luangwa
August 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your fast response. I will do as you suggested after I backup my files.

stlsaint
August 14th, 2009, 09:07 PM
+1 for sblunix

presence1960
August 15th, 2009, 03:17 AM
When doing the manual install be sure to highlight your /home partition click edit then set parameters. Do not tick the format box or you will lose everything on that /home partition! very important you set mount point as /home or it will not auto mount when you boot Ubuntu.