PDA

View Full Version : What versions of Firefox are Ubuntu Forums members using?

aysiu
August 14th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I'm just curious, in light of Firefox 3.5's recent release and the whole Shiretoko labeling thing, what versions of Firefox the Community Cafe folks are using.

HappinessNow
August 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I'm just curious, in light of Firefox 3.5's recent release and the whole Shiretoko labeling thing, what versions of Firefox the Community Cafe folks are using.
Firefox/3.5.2

MaxIBoy
August 14th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I use the minefield builds. I've also been trying to compile my own from mercurial, but with no success yet.

SuperSonic4
August 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Firefox from [extra] although I used the firebrand script to give it offical logo

FuturePilot
August 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM
3.5 from the repositories. I don't see what the big deal is about the branding. I really don't care. It acts exactly the same as Firefox. Actually it is Firefox. Plus I can just let Ubuntu take care of the updates for me.

itreius
August 14th, 2009, 08:10 PM
firefox-3.5 package from the official repositories, aka Shiretoko. I edited the useragent string through about:config so it shows up as Firefox/3.5.2, and I used perfectska's GNOME-colors extra icon pack (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562) to add Firefox icons to it (just had to change the folder /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.12 to /usr/lib/firefox.3.5.2 before running the script).

venator260
August 14th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 using Minefield 3.6a2pre

RiceMonster
August 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Firefox from [extra] although I used the firebrand script to give it offical logo

I use firefox-branded from the AUR to get the branding.

Anxious Nut
August 14th, 2009, 08:18 PM
using 3.5 from the repositories, having no problems, though im starting to use flock-browser ... but also use firefox(since it's da papa)

I'm just curious
you know, curiosity killed a cat

Xbehave
August 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM
firefox3.5 from fedora repos, used 3.0 and then 3.1/3.5 from /opt (with links from /usr/bin/ though)

Given firefox's poor security record (relative to chrome/etc not IE), i hope people running firefox in /home really know what they are doing OR start doing something less dangerous soon!

khelben1979
August 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Mozilla Firefox 3.5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_firefox#Version_3.5).2.

sydbat
August 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Given firefox's poor security record (relative to chrome/etc not IE), i hope people running firefox in /home really know what they are doing OR start doing something less dangerous soon!Source?

Tibuda
August 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Given firefox's poor security record (relative to chrome/etc not IE), i hope people running firefox in /home really know what they are doing OR start doing something less dangerous soon!

How is that more dangerous than running from somewhere else? It runs with the same privileges.

EDIT: Voted 'I don't use Firefox regularly', Epiphany WebKit for me.

Firestem4
August 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Swiftweasel. PGO Compiled version of Firefox using a modified iceweasel branding/logo etc. (Lightweight and fast).

I was using Swiftfox for the same reason (PGO compiled) but it slowly started becomming unresponsive as i kept using it.

Xbehave
August 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Source?secunia on firefox 3.0.x
(http://secunia.com/advisories/product/19089/?task=statistics)
mozillas own page on 3.5.x (http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox35.html)

The idea of running a binary in such a way that it can modify itself thus leaving you permanently owned is shocking from a security point of view anyway.

edit:

How is that more dangerous than running from somewhere else? It runs with the same privileges.
Because if your firefox gets compromised the attacker can easily modify firefox to run various forms of malware/never patch itself/report all your browsing habits/passwords/bank details/etc

Tibuda
August 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
The idea of running a binary in such a way that it can modify itself thus leaving you permanently owned is shocking from a security point of view anyway.

Understood. Thanks!

Xbehave
August 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Swiftweasel. PGO Compiled version of Firefox using a modified iceweasel branding/logo etc. (Lightweight and fast).

I was using Swiftfox for the same reason (PGO compiled) but it slowly started becomming unresponsive as i kept using it.
I thought the only difference between swiftfox and swiftweasel was the branding :confused:, do you know if the swiftfox guys are helping with the mozilla bug stopping mozilla from using PGO on linux?

Understood. Thanks!
glad to help, tbh its not bad but i think its worth the effort to install firefox the "right way", even if it means using gtksu/kdesu when you want to update.

Dobbie03
August 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
version 3.5.3pre (what ever the pre means)

I am confused, I dual boot both Ubuntu 9.04 and Crunchbang 9.04, Ubuntu installed Firefox 3.5 no worries, Crunchbang has installed Shiretoko and it won't run the same add-ons the Firefox does. Weird, anyone know how to get rid of this Shiretoko crap and replace it with official Firefox?

I know Shiretoko is meant to ne official but it doesn't run the same, it feels different.

FuturePilot
August 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
secunia on firefox 3.0.x
mozillas own page on 3.5.x (http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox35.html)

edit:

Because if your firefox gets compromised the attacker can easily modify firefox to run various forms of malware/never patch itself/report all your browsing habits/passwords/bank details/etc

All of those could be done whether or not you run Firefox from your /home or not. The only way to be really safe is to sandbox Firefox with something like AppArmor

Tibuda
August 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I know Shiretoko is meant to ne official but it doesn't run the same, it feels different.

No. If you are using Jaunty, 3.0 is official, not Shiretoko.

aysiu
August 14th, 2009, 09:54 PM
All of those could be done whether or not you run Firefox from your /home or not. The only way to be really safe is to sandbox Firefox with something like AppArmor
AppArmor sounds great, but right now it seems a bit too complicated for point-and-click folks like me.

I just use NoScript.

Viva
August 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Shiretoko, but I haven't updated it on a few noobs' systems I've installed ubuntu on.

t0p
August 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I'm using 3.52 - the one you get from getfirefox.com (http://ubuntuforums.org/http//:getfirefox.com). The one that runs from my home directory. Contrary to popular belief, there is no problem viz automated updates. Firefox checks Mozilla for updates every day.

j.bell730
August 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Firefox 3.5 installed for me -- branding and all -- along with Karmic.

t0p
August 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I'm using 3.52 - the one you get from getfirefox.com (http://ubuntuforums.org/http//:getfirefox.com). The one that runs from my home directory. Contrary to popular belief, there is no problem viz automated updates. Firefox checks Mozilla for updates every day.

Can you please give me some examples of firefox's "poor security record"? I was under the impression that firefox has a robust security model.

Also, can you enlighten me as to what is the danger of running firefox from my home directory?

running_rabbit07
August 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I am using the 3.5 release on Karmic. (Not suggested)

doorknob60
August 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Whoa a lot of options there, and none of them apply to Arch Users :-P Anyways I'm using Firefox 3.5.2 with profile guided optimization and some other optimizations enabled (firefox-pgo package in AUR). It also has the official branding enabled (not Shiretoko, I don't know why that bugs people so much though, jeez it's the same thing...)

gnomeuser
August 14th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I use Chromium, it has completely replaced Firefox and Gecko based browsers for me.

Xbehave
August 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
That's simply not true, if you put firefox in /opt and own it by root, an attacker would have to comprise you while you are running as root to modify it (at that points its game over anyway). The chance of being exploited while viewing about:blank,the update notification page or running update firefox now, to be a lot less than that of everyday browsing.

AppArmor is nice and simple by comparison to selinux/etc but is not needed for something as simple as protecting your binaries!

Can you please give me some examples of firefox's "poor security record"?
I have already provided various sources for the claim that firefox is not 100% safe and you should not do stupid things with it (e.g run it as root or run it in a way it can update itself). That is not to say it has a bad security record it's just worse than your average linux program.

I was under the impression that firefox has a robust security model.you were mistaken, if anything is holding firefox back its the lack of a robust security model for the threats of today! It's security model is far worse than chrome/IE7+, the quality of code makes up for this in parts, but generally firefox's security model is very good in 2009.

Also, can you enlighten me as to what is the danger of running firefox from my home directory?
As ive stated before, the danger of running any binary in somewhere it can modify itself is that if it is owned once, it can be modified to allow the attacker all the info firefox gets and to not protect itself when future updates fix the problem.

Starlight
August 14th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I edited the useragent string through about:config so it shows up as Firefox/3.5.2

Cool! I've just done that, and it works :) I didn't know that the user agent could be changed without a special add-on.

I'm using Shiretoko 3.5.2 from the repositories.

SuperSonic4
August 14th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Whoa a lot of options there, and none of them apply to Arch Users :-P Anyways I'm using Firefox 3.5.2 with profile guided optimization and some other optimizations enabled (firefox-pgo package in AUR). It also has the official branding enabled (not Shiretoko, I don't know why that bugs people so much though, jeez it's the same thing...)

[22:39:52] sonic /mnt/Music $ pacman -Ss firefox
extra/firefox 3.5.2-1 [1.00 MB]
Standalone web browser from mozilla.org
extra/firefox-i18n 3.5.2-1 [9.18 MB]
Language packs for Firefox
extra/totem-plugin 2.26.3-1 [0.13 MB]
Totem mozilla/firefox plugin
community/arch-firefox-search 0.7-5 [0.00 MB]
Firefox Arch search engines (AUR, Pkgs, BBS, Wiki, etc.)
community/firefox-spell-pt-br 3.0.8-1 [1.25 MB]
Portuguese (Brazil) dictionary for Firefox
community/firefox-spell-ru 0.4.2-3 [0.50 MB]
Russian spellchecker dictionary for Firefox
community/mozplugger 1.12.1-1 [0.04 MB]
A Mozilla & Firefox multimedia plugin.
archlinuxfr/firebrand 3.5-1 [0.34 MB]
A script to brand Firefox without recompiling.
archlinuxfr/firefox-fr 3.5.1-1 [0.12 MB]
French pack for Firefox
[22:39:57] sonic /mnt/Music $

[extra] is a repository ;)

lovinglinux
August 14th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'm using 3.5.1 compiled from source with processor optimization flags and PGO. I have Swiftweasel 3.5.2 as main browser on a notebook, mainly because I was lazy to compile FF 3.5 for another processor. Sometimes I also use 3.0.13 official Ubuntu version for extension development.

I've tried to compile 3.5.2 but it gives me an error every time, so I will wait for 3.5.3 final release. I also tested Namoroka 3.6a1 compiled from source without PGO, but I was afraid to use an alpha version and some extensions were messed up, while forcing them by disabling version check.

I have also tested Ubuntuzilla, Shiretoko 3.5 from universe, 3.5.whatever from ubuntu-mozilla-daily, Firefox 3.5.0 from Mozilla using Psychocats method, Swiftfox 3.5.rc1, <put version here> <put source here>... :)

DougieFresh4U
August 14th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I use the '3.6pre' version. Trying to get the '3.7 pre' version to install but it keeps crashing

steveneddy
August 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Launchpad ppa

ratcheer
August 15th, 2009, 03:32 AM
3.5.2 downloaded from Mozilla and extracted to a subdirectory of Desktop.

Tim

Artemis3
August 15th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I'm running Shiretoko 3.5 from a launchpad repo which i added before Ubuntu had it. The same repo has 3.6...: https://launchpad.net/~fta/+archive/ppa

Launchpad repos are like a gold mine, i have added at least 10, so my favorite apps remain updated.

Arup
August 15th, 2009, 04:07 AM
3.52 Shiretoko from repo with branding fix so its the default FF instead of FF 3.12

gOLdenHaWK3D
August 16th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Just use what ever is there in the repos! :P

NCLI
August 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
secunia on firefox 3.0.x
1. Mozilla's page on 3.5 shows FIXED vulnerabilities, so they aren't relevant anymore.
2. This image comes from Secunia, the site you linked to, showing that all known vulnerabilities have been fixed by Mozilla for Firefox 3.0.X
http://secunia.com/advisories/graph/?type=sol&period=all&prod=19089

Frak
August 16th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Firefox 3.5 for PowerPC Mac OS X

Bachstelze
August 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Firefox 3.5 on Windows and Mac OS. I'm not using a Linux desktop anymore (but I have a Debian server with VNC for when I need to run GUI stuff, it runs Epiphany as a web browser though).

mamamia88
August 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM
chrome

meborc
August 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
3.7 minefield, too bad it is not in the poll ;)

TheNessus
August 16th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Swiftfox, but my main browser is Opera 10

wojox
August 16th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Swiftfox 3.5.2

grizzler
August 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Mozilla's Firefox 3.5.2, installed manually in /opt, mainly because I couldn't find a translated version anywhere else. Could have used Ubuntuzilla I suppose...

imlinux
August 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM
3.7 minefield, too bad it is not in the poll ;)

edit:can you please post the link from where did you download it ,i am unable to find

oh sorry to bother i found it (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/)

spoons
August 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Namoroka 3.6 Alpha 1 :)

aktiwers
August 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Firefox 3.5.2 and Firefox 3.6a from PPA

JillSwift
August 16th, 2009, 08:41 PM
3.5.2 self compiled to try and squeeze a little more performance out of it.

A process that was a far greater pain in the neck than I'd expected it to be. Worth it, though. It's pretty perky compared to the pre-compiled tarball.

Warpnow
August 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Installed version is 3.0.13 but I hardly ever use firefox. Just had to apt-get it so I could browse to the opera download.

MasterNetra
August 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Using 3.5.2 for windows, sense I'm trying out Windows 7. Can't bash it until you try it first. ^.^

sports fan Matt
August 16th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I hardly fire up firefox either..trying opera these days

koleoptero
August 16th, 2009, 11:46 PM

"Just curious" HA! I am sure there's something conspiratorial going on here. :-k

samjh
August 17th, 2009, 12:29 AM
1. Mozilla's page on 3.5 shows FIXED vulnerabilities, so they aren't relevant anymore.
2. This image comes from Secunia, the site you linked to, showing that all known vulnerabilities have been fixed by Mozilla for Firefox 3.0.X
http://secunia.com/advisories/graph/?type=sol&period=all&prod=19089

Yeah, that's what I saw too.

I took a look at IE 7, IE 8, and Opera. They have surprisingly few vulnerabilities on Secunia. It makes Firefox look very buggy.

Bölvağur
August 17th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Ubuntu 9.04 using Minefield 3.6a2pre
that's what I got

wojox
October 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Just compiled Minefield/3.7a1pre

coldReactive
October 11th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Other version: Windows Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3 due to me being on Windows.

Redundant Username
October 11th, 2009, 09:25 PM
When was it released? I've been running the extracted executable in my home folder to get 3.5.

NCLI
October 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah, that's what I saw too.

I took a look at IE 7, IE 8, and Opera. They have surprisingly few vulnerabilities on Secunia. It makes Firefox look very buggy.
Chrome has only received one Secunia advisory, and Opera none. Rather than being a sign of being safer, I think it's more likely to be because of how relatively unknown they are compared to Firefox & IE., and how few businesses(Secunias main customers)are using them.

Now, Firefox and IE. Firefox has received 4 advisories for 3.5, 3 of those have been fixed according to Secunia. IE 8 has received also received 4 advisories, and 2 of those have been fixed. All in all, I'd say they're pretty equal, but since Firefox is updated faster and more often, I think we'll see Firefox pull ahead of IE in security soon enough.

Off-topic but... :D
http://xs344.xs.to/xs344/09410/vista_vs_xp_vs_ubuntu_8.04_vs_ubuntu_9.04356.png.x s.jpg (http://xs344.xs.to/xs344/09410/vista_vs_xp_vs_ubuntu_8.04_vs_ubuntu_9.04356.png)

Regenweald
October 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I started using Ubuntu last year, and only enjoyed FF's ridiculous startup time and ok rendering. Since starting with chromium I have had no reason to try FF again, even though i hear it's new performance is great. I stick to webkit from now on.

On a side note, FF 3.5 caused serious HD thrashing in XP for me, it's since been fixed but my confidence is mozilla is very low. Opera is my XP browser on the occasions that require me to boot XP.

speedwell68
October 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Firefox 3.5.3

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I'm using 3.5.1 compiled from source with processor optimization flags and PGO. I have Swiftweasel 3.5.2 as main browser on a notebook, mainly because I was lazy to compile FF 3.5 for another processor. Sometimes I also use 3.0.13 official Ubuntu version for extension development.

Now I'm using the vanilla version shipped with Karmic. Still working great and Karmic is awesome ;)

oxf
October 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
OK forgive me for being dense but please could someone explain.

What exactly is Shiretoko? Is this essentially like a beta version of FF3.5?

It's in Synaptic as FF3.5 and if I add it it shows up as Shiretoko and not FF. Why is this?

Finally someone talked about changing things so that it does show as FF. SPECIFICALLY how to I do this? Do I change certain lines in about:config? or is there more to it?

And what exactly is meant by "branding", "dummy packages" etc?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions!

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
What exactly is Shiretoko? Is this essentially like a beta version of FF3.5?

Not necessarily beta. It's a development version, that can be alpha, beta or even the final release.

Today, Shiretoko is the final release of Firefox 3.5.

It's in Synaptic as FF3.5 and if I add it it shows up as Shiretoko and not FF. Why is this?

It has a different name and logo to avoid confusion, since it is installed side-by-side with the default version. In Karmic Koala, Firefox 3.5 is already the default. The development one, which is 3.6, is called Namoroka.

Finally someone talked about changing things so that it does show as FF. SPECIFICALLY how to I do this? Do I change certain lines in about:config? or is there more to it?

Don't bother. Ubuntu Karmic Koala will be released this month and will be shipped with Firefox 3.5.

If you want to always have the most recent version of Firefox, with name and logo, then I recommend Ubuntuzilla. See Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).

And what exactly is meant by "branding", "dummy packages" etc?

Firefox is released as open source, so you can compile yourself and distribute it, but you can't use their brand (logo and name). That's the case of Swiftfox, Siftweasel, Iceweasel, Wizo and other browsers based on Firefox. They essentially have the same core code, but cannot have the branding. Mozilla enforces trademark policies to protect the image of their brand.

So if you want to compile Firefox and get the real name and logo, you need to enable branding in the compilation configuration. But then you cannot distribute it.

Ubuntu developers take a different approach. They distribute the branding as a separate package. If you remove it, you will end up with an unbranded browser.

Dummy packages are usually (as far as I know) packages that simply points to another package. For example, when the developers change the name of a package, for whatever reasons, they keep a dummy package pointing to the new one to avoid dependency issues. Let's say application A depends on B, but B has been renamed to BCool in the new Ubuntu release. So they keep a dummy B package that depends on BCool. So when someone installs a package that depends on B, then BCool will also be installed, even if it's not in the dependency list of the application installed by the user.

anonymous_user
October 14th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Swiftfox 3.5.3 using their installer (extracts to /opt).

SomeGuyDude
October 14th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Arch's AUR has a PGO-enabled version. I'm using that.

DougieFresh4U
October 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I have been playing around with 3.7a1pre

RATM_Owns
October 14th, 2009, 09:20 PM
3.6a1

niccholaspage
October 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I'm using Karmic with Firefox 3.5 from repos, Plus I have 3.7 nightly build in my home folder for testing :P.

oxf
October 14th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Not necessarily beta. It's a development version, that can be alpha, beta or even the final release.

ntu developers take a different approach. They distribute the branding as a separate package. If you remove it, you will end up with an unbranded browser.

Dummy packages are usually (as far as I know) packages that simply points to another package. For example, when the developers change the name of a package, for whatever reasons, they keep a dummy package pointing to the new one to avoid dependency issues. Let's say application A depends on B, but B has been renamed to BCool in the new Ubuntu release. So they keep a dummy B package that depends on BCool. So when someone installs a package that depends on B, then BCool will also be installed, even if it's not in the dependency list of the application installed by the user.

taavi
October 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I have been playing around with 3.7a1pre

Hahaha, totally ugly : D or comic sans is sex now?

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090920 Firefox/3.5.3 (Swiftfox)

hellion0
October 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM
3.5.3 on Hardy via UbuntuZilla.