PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help - Don't know how to turn wireless on

davidmorgen
August 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I just installed Ubunto 9.04. My wireless does not seem to be turned on. I typed a command in the terminal server: iwconfig, and it says no wireless extensions. I also typed lspci and network 0, which shows up as wireless interface, is disabled. It does not describe the card under wireless but above, under network controller, it says Broadcom, and BCM4306 Wirless LAN controller.

What do I need to do? Install a driver? If so, I don't even know how to do that.

Please help!

THANKS!:popcorn:

raymondh
August 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
1. Check if the wifi switch is on ... if you do have a wifi switch. In some laptops, it'll be in front of the machine or at it's side. In an HP, you double tap the wifi icon (upper right) until it turns blue. it may also be a FN key like my MSI.
2. Go to system > administration > hardware drivers and install drivers.

davidmorgen
August 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Raymond, thanks for your reply. I do have a WIFI button, which, when I pressed it before I installed UBUNTU, would turn blue and it would enable WIFI. Now, when I press it, the light above the button does not turn blue. Any ideas?

raymondh
August 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM
David,

Ok...more "let's make sure" as I research/google your card

See the wifi icon on your top right? Make sure (rt. click) that both boxes (wireless/networking) are enabled. Also, (lf. click), do you see your network?

have you gone through this links from the network/wireless sub-forum?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1176117
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=370108

You may want to post there hoping that the wifi gurus have an instant fix. I'll follow your thread and post in should I find something.... if you decide to move your post there.

davidmorgen
August 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks Raymond. The networking and wireless boxes are checked. If I left click on the wireless icon, Wired Network and Wireless networks are greyed out. Could this just be a missing driver issue, and that I need to install the correct driver? Am sort of clueless here. I will check the wireless subforum, thanks.

Mark Phelps
August 16th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Raymond, thanks for your reply. I do have a WIFI button, which, when I pressed it before I installed UBUNTU, would turn blue and it would enable WIFI. Now, when I press it, the light above the button does not turn blue. Any ideas?

That's probably going to continue to remain a problem. I have two laptops, a Compaq and an HP, and both exhibit the same problem. IN MS Windows, a blue light comes on somewhere on the laptop to indicate that wireless has been enabled. In Ubuntu, the enabling switches still work, but there is no blue light.

raymondh
August 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks Raymond. The networking and wireless boxes are checked. If I left click on the wireless icon, Wired Network and Wireless networks are greyed out. Could this just be a missing driver issue, and that I need to install the correct driver? Am sort of clueless here. I will check the wireless subforum, thanks.

David,

Are you able to connect via ethernet (cable). If yes, do so and try to update your drivers.

Some members have resorted to ndiswrapper (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper) ... using the windows-based driver.

Update first .... then browse the manufacturer's website (of your card) to see if they have a linux driver for download ..... and then try ndiswrapper.

Good luck.