PDA

View Full Version : Netbeans Vs. Eclipse

mhh91
August 14th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I'm a java developer,I personally use netbeans for my programming purposes,Am I missing anything?

specially that a lot of people like eclipse over netbeans :confused:

DEADFACE
August 14th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I've found that eclipse is great for backend coding. Netbeans is good for general coding and for building a GUI. It's been a while since I used either but I loaded eclipse last night to try and get back into java programming. All I need now is a project. :confused:

mhh91
August 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
well,I don't do much except studying for the SCJP and building primitive GUI's these days,so I guess I'll stick with netbeans for now.......

Mirge
August 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I guess I'm the only person who had a horrible experience with Netbeans. I installed it, it crashed several times after startup, seemingly random.. not sure what was triggering it.

When I got it to run for a few minutes (5 at best), the actual text within the editor had a gigantic font... then crashed again. I uninstalled it, then eventually retried it a few times.. same result.

Then I familiarized myself with Eclipse and now I can't live without it.

andrew222
August 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Eclipse is the industry standard. This is so because a few years back it had more functionality than NetBeans had and the consensus was in favor of Eclipse.

These days NetBeans has improved it's functionality, but Eclipse remains the favored IDE. Since NetBeans improved late int he game, it is widely overlooked.

Eclipse has plug-in functionality and has a community based around it as well.

It is pretty much your preference as to what IDE you would like to choose.

I myself prefer Eclipse because it is the most widely used IDE...

froggyswamp
August 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Eclipse - larger user base, NetBeans - smarter, more intuitive.
However Sun is in deep trouble so I might have to dump NetBeans but I really love it, would give it 10/10 if it wasn't so slow, especially on Linux.

Can+~
August 17th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I guess I'm the only person who had a horrible experience with Netbeans. I installed it, it crashed several times after startup, seemingly random.. not sure what was triggering it.

Actually, I had issues that pushed me to Eclipse too.

It would crash at random, sometimes it would bump the amount of memory usage to 300 MB (from the initial 110 MB I remember correctly) and I had to force the Garbage collector to do it's job.

But the weirdest thing was that it would sometimes throw an error without an error, a blank box and all the letter were completely out of place.

On the other hand, I installed eclipse, and it ran smooth and stable.