PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ThinkCentre with an Airlink wifi card

Gildedtongue
August 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Hello. Just loaded on Ubuntu 9.04 yesterday and this is my first foray into Linux, outside of a rather poor class in college.

Anyway, running an IBM ThinkCentre A55 (Lenovo 9645-J1U), and trying to get my wireless card to get me online, (Airlink+ AWLH3025). The system sees the card just fine, it sees the router just fine, but, getting the two to talk seems to be an effort in futility at the moment. Security is none, except the router is MAC-Addy locked, and the address of the desktop is added to the list of kosher addresses. Did not have any issues when the machine was running XP Pro.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!

sethtriggs
August 15th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Does this result in any sort of crashes on the computer? Any sort of error messages? I am wondering about this before I try to go to 9.04. Is it possible the machine has some incompatibilities?

-Seth

Gildedtongue
August 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM
No, though the machine crashes pretty regularly, anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours, usually if more than one thing is going on at once. The crash is a hard freeze, and the Caps and Scroll Lock lights blink, which, according to other threads on this forum, indicate a Kernal Crash, I suppose, but, no error message pops up saying what's wrong.

There doesn't seem to be any error messages, like I said. Wirelessly, it just doesn't connect, and wired seems to only work about a sixth of the time. Seems that one can't force a connection, merely suggest it if the computer feels like it.

sethtriggs
August 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
And what are the specs (processor, RAM) for the machine, just out of curiosity? That might help narrow down some things.

-Seth