PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a Centenarian!...anybody else want to be a Centenarian?

HappinessNow
August 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I want to be a Centenarian!...anybody else want to be a Centenarian?

This means incorporating good health practices in my life now. In today's world it is completely possible to become a Centenarian and live a healthy, productive, meaningful life to the end.

Interesting fact: Okinawa, Japan produces the most Centenarians.

The eldery of Okinawa enjoy what may be the longest life-expectancy in the world, and are also known for enjoying relatively good health while doing so. The three leading killers in the West--coronary heart disease, stroke, and cancer--occur in Okinawans with the lowest frequency in the world.
The goal of the study is to find out why this is the case.
Compared to westerners, the islanders age slowly and are about 80% less likely to get heart disease. They're also a quarter less likely to get breast or prostate cancer. In addition, they have half the risk of getting colon cancer and are less likely than westerners to get dementia. On average they spend 97% of their lives free of any disabilities.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_Centenarian_Study

Tristam Green
August 14th, 2009, 02:48 PM
no, sorry. there are far too many people on the planet already, and i certainly don't want to add to the masses or be a burden on the youth of the world lol.

The Toxic Mite
August 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
no, sorry. There are far too many people on the planet already, and i certainly don't want to add to the masses or be a burden on the youth of the world lol.

+1

MasterNetra
August 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM
no, sorry. there are far too many people on the planet already, and i certainly don't want to add to the masses or be a burden on the youth of the world lol.

Blah this notion becomes obsolete once we start colonizing other worlds. At that point we will want to resume expanding our population to populate colonies.

Besides these type of people maintain a good level of health at there age and usually aren't a burden on the youth.

Jesus_Valdez
August 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Who wants to live forever?

I don't.

Live fast, die young and leave a Good-looking corpse.

MasterNetra
August 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM

I don't.

Live fast, die young and leave a Good-looking corpse.

Yes..but what if your not good looking to begin with?

super breadfish
August 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Blah this notion becomes obsolete once we start colonizing other worlds. At that point we will want to resume expanding our population to populate colonies.

But that might never happen, and even if it does it won't be for another 50 to 100 years at the very least.

We can't keep relying on there being a scientific breakthrough around every corner.

Koosti
August 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well...

Nothing there really that I didn't already strive towards. I try to eat somewhat healthy, I exercise multiple times a week.

But who am I kidding? It's mostly to keep in shape. :D

Plus, I ain't giving up my alcohol and the occasional eating frenzy.

HappinessNow
August 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Centenarians don't live forever.

DeadSuperHero
August 15th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I intend on dying young. Sorry to disappoint!

mrgnash
August 15th, 2009, 05:50 AM
No. I don't find life very enjoyable for the most part, and I'll only get more bitter and lonely as I age, so the sooner I die the better, really.

MikeTheC
August 15th, 2009, 07:07 AM
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than a frontal lobotomy."

lisati
August 15th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I don't want to become a boring old fart who has outlived their usefulness and who has become a burden on society. There's a great deal of satisfaction to be gained from even the occasional bit of chit-chat to be indulged in on these forums when not making a difference by trying to contribute to the solution of someone's problems.

MikeTheC
August 15th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I don't want to become a boring old fart who has outlived their usefulness and who has become a burden on society. There's a great deal of satisfaction to be gained from even the occasional bit of chit-chat to be indulged in on these forums when not making a difference by trying to contribute to the solution of someone's problems.

No! No! Say it's not so! :p

lisati
August 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
No! No! Say it's not so! :p

OK then:
It's not so!

koleoptero
August 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I would love to be a centenarian but I'll be hit by a truck before the age of 50.

:P

Irihapeti
August 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Live each day as if it were your last, without fever, without torpor and without acting a part.

- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Swarms
August 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Bah, it much less of a hassle injecting cyborg parts and stopping the ageprocess with chemicals and stamcells. :)

lisati
August 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Bah, it much less of a hassle injecting cyborg parts and stopping the ageprocess with chemicals and stamcells. :)

It has been a while since I've seen It, but how did Pennywise the clown manage? Something to do with taking advantage of the vulnerable and/or gullible, wasn't it?

sefs
August 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Yes..but what if your not good looking to begin with?

heh.

SuperSonic4
August 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
No, life sucks as it is

handy
August 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Life is truly wondrous, I'm grateful for it everyday.

Though I don't like the idea of being physically crippled with inflammation of the connective tissue, or the possibility of dramatically reduced capacity to hear, see, sense odours, taste, control my bladder, or of having short, medium & long term memory dysfunction, & an overall dramatically reduced mental capacity.

In short, no, I don't want to be a centenarian.

Quality not quantity.

Swarms
August 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
It has been a while since I've seen It, but how did Pennywise the clown manage? Something to do with taking advantage of the vulnerable and/or gullible, wasn't it?

Not great in the book, but he continues to lurk the sewers. :)

DeadSuperHero
August 15th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'll just end up committing suicide, really.

Ranax
August 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'll just end up committing suicide, really.

Mr. Psychopath = Mr. Depressed?

koenn
August 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Mr. Psychopath = Mr. Depressed?
At a loss as to what direction he wants his life to go in + kind of a 'detached', rational attitude.
Don't worry, he'll live.

nubimax
August 15th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Old age is not for wimps, you have to be tough and it if you look it, is mostly women that are that tough.
M

handy
August 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Old age is not for wimps, you have to be tough and it if you look it, is mostly women that are that tough.
M

I think most people of any age are scared of the unknown, & dying is the BIG unknown.

As far as women living longer is concerned, they have some biological advantages, one primary example is that they naturally have a higher count of the "good" cholesterol.

Does that mean they are tougher, or just that they were born with something that is most beneficial in this day & age of carnivorous fast food & deep fried rubbish?

nubimax
August 16th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Handy you are right about biological advantages. For the last 40 years or so fast food in this household has been an apple or banana or other fruit. I think pizza might be fast food but we have not had that for at lest 10 years (I think that I will have a slice when I go to the beach this year) my wife and I live a healthy life style and grow most of our vegetables.
M

subdivision
August 16th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I'll live to be however old I live to be. Not much sense in thinking about it. You could eat healthy and do everything "right" and still get hit by a car tomorrow. Just enjoy life right now.

cprofitt
August 16th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I want to live long enough to see grand children... after that it will be gravy. If I could be an 'elf' and live to a few thousand years old that would be cool too. As I am human I am not sure that age would be so fun as the bones and other parts start to get progressively less responsive and more painful.

ZankerH
August 16th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Centenarian? I'm a singularitarian! ;)

Danny Dubya
August 16th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I'll live to be however old I live to be. Not much sense in thinking about it. You could eat healthy and do everything "right" and still get hit by a car tomorrow. Just enjoy life right now.
And part of truly enjoying life is living healthy, as one who does not have a healthy lifestyle is not truly happy, but constantly seeking pleasure and ends up miserable as a result.

So no, I don't think eating lots of good-tasting, unhealthy food is a good idea either way.

subdivision
August 16th, 2009, 05:35 AM
And part of truly enjoying life is living healthy, as one who does not have a healthy lifestyle is not truly happy, but constantly seeking pleasure and ends up miserable as a result.

So no, I don't think eating lots of good-tasting, unhealthy food is a good idea either way.

I'm so glad you're showed up to tell me whether I'm truly happy or not. Thanks.

Danny Dubya
August 16th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I'm so glad you're showed up to tell me whether I'm truly happy or not. Thanks.
What are you talking about? That was not my intention -- hell, I don't even know anything about you. It's just that I frequently hear or read people saying the same thing that you posted, and based off of that logic, others assume that it's intelligent to prioritize pleasing themselves above a long life. There's nothing necessarily wrong with doing so, and worrying about when you'll die is quite foolish, but gluttony can be just as harmful as fear, so perhaps one should not be exchanged for another. I "showed up" to try to prevent that type of assumption from being made, not to make any assumptions about you.

Anyway, if you think about it, you know I'm right. Why desire anything, after all? Because we aren't happy, and want to try to suppress those feelings we don't want with other feelings, whether they be anger or pleasure, than to actually face and solve the original problem, which would bring us peace and contentment.

subdivision
August 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Anyway, if you think about it, you know I'm right.

I'm quite convinced that you think you're right. At any rate, I'm certainly not advocating gluttony, merely putting forth my own opinion that worrying about what age you'll live to is pointless and that you should concentrate on actually living.

collinp
August 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Well, this thread is depressing.

I will live to be however old I will be. And I intend for that to be a long time.

Barrucadu
August 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I intend to live long enough in my biological body for cyberisation and prosthetic bodies to become reality/reliable :P