PDA

View Full Version : [edubuntu] Installing Edubuntu

praveensripati
August 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I have 'Ubuntu 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope' up and running properly. I installed 'edubuntu-desktop' on top of it for my kid using 'Synaptic Package Manager'.

I see a bunch of applications under the 'Applications -> Education' menu. And also 'System -> About Ubuntu' and 'System -> About Edubuntu'.

How to select Edubuntu Session at login? In the list of available sessions in the login screen, Edubuntu is not available. Only Gnome and some other options are available.

I thought it was similar to installing kde-desktop and selecting kde session at the login screen.

Thanks,
Praveen

AmerNewbieInDE
August 14th, 2009, 01:34 PM
now that you mention it, i installed ubuntu 9.04, then installed kubuntu, i just thought it add the extra programs, never did think i would have to log in with kubuntu. when the pc boots, i get a kubuntu splash then my nvidia and the ubuntu...been thinking of installing kde4 to see how that is..

praveensripati
August 15th, 2009, 02:36 AM
@AmerNewbieInDE

Kubuntu which has KDE is a Desktop Environment like GNOME and not a bunch of applications. These Desktop Environments can use the same Kernel but with a different user experience.

aysiu
August 15th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Edubuntu is just Gnome with a different set of applications.

There won't be an edubuntu session available from the login screen. You just log into Gnome.

jerrrys
August 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM
GNOME is the GNU Graphical Desktop, it's the default desktop environment on Ubuntu, as well as Edubuntu. found that here http://edubuntu.org/Screenshots

so the way im reading it, its part of ubuntu and not a separate entity like kde.

if you want, tell me what package(s) you downloaded from synaptic and i will do the same and verify this.

edit well, aysiu took care of that :)

praveensripati
August 16th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Hi,

As I mentioned in the earlier post, I am getting menus under 'Applications -> Education'

When I try these menu items, nothing happens

Applications -> Education -> Educational suite GCompris
Applications -> Education -> GCompris Administration

I checked and my system is with all the latest patches.

Is there any log files I should check?

Thanks,
Praveen