PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Can't Shutdown, Reboot, logoff Kubuntu 9.04 after KDE 4.3 update

viveksj
August 14th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Hello All

I am having trouble with Shutdown/Reboot or logoff Kubuntu 9.04 after updating to KDE 4.3. If i select any one of these options from menu i get absolutely no response from the system. But i can change user from kickoff menu.

One more thing Shutdown and reboot commands work fine from Terminal.

Anybody knows the reason or solution to this problem please reply

Thanks
VJ

sturmflut
August 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I am having the same problem on a machine running Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.3 packages and a machine running Kubuntu 9.10 Beta 4.

It is possible to go to the Logout/Shutdown dialog once (via the K-Menu or by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting "Leave.."), but after that nothing happens and the dialog won't appear again.

"Logout" is now only possible by restarting kdm, Restart/Shutdown only by using 'shutdown' in a konsole.

I don't know if it helps but I noticed that the session also can't be shutdown using qdbus:

sturmflut@ion $ qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMSServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.canShutdown
true
sturmflut@ion $ qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMSServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.logout 0 0 0

sturmflut@ion $

...and nothing happens after this.

sturmflut
August 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Okay, apparently the problem has been found and a work-around is available:

http://osdir.com/ml/kde-bugs-dist/2009-08/msg02999.html

You need to explicitely turn off the "logout" sound, even if sound notifications are already globally off.

Personally I am in favor of removing most of the sound notifications because I always deactivate them completely and this is not the first major issue connected to them.

homebaze
August 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hi, I tried the workaround as well, but it still doesn't do it for me.
If I want to shutdown or reboot, I have to use the terminal.
The odd thing is though, at an another account (without compositing and k-win effects), it can be shutdown via the GUI or the shutdown button on the laptop.
Can anyone help me? What further information would you need?

raditzman
March 25th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I did the workaround and now I can logoff and shutdown :)