PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux - Origin of its Name

Bundu_Ubuntu
January 31st, 2006, 06:30 PM
OK, this post is not designed to start a flame war, it is with interest I note that we have a Linux distribution called Ubuntu Linux - something I only discovered today by pure chance. I live in Kansas USA and have not really followed the progress of Linux the past year or so and have been involved in other work and projects so my attention has been elsewhere.

Anyone have any idea where Ubuntu Linux got its name, or where or how Mark Shuttleworth came up with this idea ?

The reason I ask is that a number of years back while living in Amarillo Texas, in 2002 or 2003 I sent Mark Shuttleworth an email suggesting that Africa create its own Linux distribution, and that this Linux be called Ubuntu Linux. As I had no means to create my own Linux distribution nor the experience, it was just a suggestion, an idea, a whim - having a Linux distribution created based on the principles of Ubuntu. At the same time I shared this idea with the creators of Boa Constructor the Python IDE and suggested they work with Mark Shuttleworth as he too was interested in Linux and Python. As these were emails out of the blue coming from someone no-one knew, I really don't expect anyone to remember any of this.

I just want to make it clear, I stake no claim to Ubuntu Linux, and in no way do I attach any of Ubuntu's success to my name in anyway. All in all this could be just pure coincidence. I am just very pleased to see that this dream, this vision has become a reality.

I wish you guys all the best, hope you go from strength to strength. You guys are doing a fantastic job, and you make us all very proud to be South African - not only that, proud to be Ubuntu.

Sincerely

Alan Dennill :KS
aka BunduBasher
Wichita Kansas USA
dennill atSign cox.net
Formerly from Pietermaritzburg South Africa

Bandit
January 31st, 2006, 06:50 PM
Just for curiosity sake, do you have and proof of this?

Cheers,
Bandit

TechSonic
January 31st, 2006, 06:54 PM
The White Man Demands PROOF!

megamania
January 31st, 2006, 06:59 PM
why ask for proof?

It's a name on the screen, no claims, no flames. If he made this story up, what will he gain from it?

Maybe Mark Shuttleworth himself could just read this (I'm sure somebody here has his personal email address - just forward the link to this thread to him!) and let us know how he came up with the name. I'm sure the story would be interesting anyway.

earobinson
January 31st, 2006, 06:59 PM
"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are". The Ubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.link:http://www.ubuntu.com/

Would like proof also! Would be cool if it was true!

matthew
January 31st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Interesting...here's Mark's personal wiki page with some more detail on the whys and wherefores.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarkShuttleworth

Bundu_Ubuntu
January 31st, 2006, 08:16 PM
As this occurred years ago, and at the time there was no grand scheme, just an idea, there was no need to save the email. I guess if I went back to my old company and asked them to pull all my old email for the past three years we could find something. Having them do this to make a point or to prove this I really don't see them going along with it.

The way I see it, a couple of years ago I shared some ideas with some folks in Africa on the future of Linux, of regional distros, of anyone wanting to roll their own, ideas about third world countries and what Linux could do for them. I had been toying with a few names, Via Afrika Linux, Usuthu Linux, but Ubuntu was the name that stuck with me. It seemed to make perfect sense that the Linux distribution for Africa should be called Ubuntu. Now as they say 'great minds think alike', so I am pretty sure that I was not the only one thinking along these lines, coming up with similar names, for all I know this came out of something different altogether.

I just found it fascinating today that I logged into the web and found Ubuntu Linux, and that it was a project by Mark Shuttleworth. I am actually quite stunned, almost to the point of not believing I had anything to do with this, that maybe I heard about this years ago, and that in a freakish way I am now claiming something that isn't mine to claim. However what saves me from this insanity, is the fact that the name Ubuntu Linux was something I created, it was in an email I composed regarding regional Linux, in it I had names for Linux from different regions like Ural-Linux or Ozzy-Linux (Linux-OZ), Ubuntu Linux being the name I coined for African Linux. This email I then sent off to people like Mark Shuttleworth and Riaan Booysen of Boa Constructor.

Like I said before, all I was interested in was sharing this idea, having an African Linux - the fact that somebody ran with it is just incredible.

In some way, I feel really foolish even associating my name with a post like this. In my life I have never laid claim to anything which was not rightfully mine or something I created. I'm just a lowly software engineer who programs in Visual Basic and C# (of all things), spent most my life on UNIX RDBMS's 4GL's, and have been an applications developer all my working life. The only thing I ever did with Linux was install Mandrake on a SOHO system to run as a DHCP server !

I guess how this name originated is pretty irrelevant, I think the fact that Africa has this incredible distribution is just fantastic. I think kudus really goes to those who have worked their butts off to make this a reality, these are the people who deserve all and any credit. :cool:

earobinson
January 31st, 2006, 09:03 PM
Just a not ubuntu is not a regional distro. That being said I dont think you are trying to lay clame to anything. would be cool to see what mark had to say. or see some kind of proof. But im not bothered if we dont.

Derek Djons
January 31st, 2006, 09:24 PM
Wow this is really 'out of the blue' :)
Well, Mark Shuttleworth's mobile number is floating on the internet. You could phone him and that way know for 100% why he chose the name :)

xequence
January 31st, 2006, 09:26 PM
Wow this is really 'out of the blue' :)
Well, Mark Shuttleworth's mobile number is floating on the internet. You could phone him and that way know for 100% why he chose the name :)

I would phone him.. But it might cost alot in long distance ;O

krusbjorn
January 31st, 2006, 09:41 PM
I would phone him.. But it might cost alot in long distance ;O

SkypeOut is the **** :D

Bundu_Ubuntu
January 31st, 2006, 10:28 PM
The fact that Ubuntu Linux not being a regional distro is not only astounding but a testament to the people who really are responsible for its creation. My original thoughts were that Linux itself lends itself to being a regional solution, each country or region being able to create and claim their own distribution - having their own distro which is not owned by a huge foreign corporate business. In a way Ubuntu Linux is regional in that the Principle of Ubuntu has its origins in Africa, South Africa to be more precise. It seems the philosophy of Ubuntu has a worldwide appeal to humanity. I find the lack of Ubuntu here in the States to be somewhat depressing.

I guess Africa now does have its own regional distro in Impi Linux which is based on Ubuntu Linux - Impi being a Zulu word for a group of Zulu warriors, one of their war cries being 'Usuthu / Oo-soo-too", which is why Usuthu-Linux was one of the names that came to mind when thinking of Ubuntu-Linux.

An NO, I have no intention of calling Mark Shuttleworth.

This is how the conversation will go:

Hi Mark
Yes
Alan Dennill from the USA
Yes
I sent you that email regarding Ubuntu and Linux a few years back
You have got to be kidding me, seriously
Yes
No, sorry I don't remember
OK, not to worry, Cheers
Cheers
Click !

I would be totally flawed if this correspondence still existed, or even if Mark would even remember the email - 'Gob smacked' would be the word !

Ubuntu the philosophy, and Linux together make for a wonderful dynamic new paradigm - I'm just glad it happened.:D

mips
January 31st, 2006, 11:27 PM
I dont think Impi is based on Ubuntu, it's been around longer (2003 v1.0) than Ubuntu.

Mark has basically kinda purchased Impi though, http://www.impilinux.co.za/node/14

Bundu_Ubuntu
February 1st, 2006, 04:15 AM
I dont think Impi is based on Ubuntu, it's been around longer (2003 v1.0) than Ubuntu.

Mark has basically kinda purchased Impi though, http://www.impilinux.co.za/node/14

http://www.impilinux.co.za/products

from impiLinux.co.za
ImpiLinux is a complete PC operating system based on the popular, award winning and robust Ubuntu Linux operating system.

MIPS, I should have my brother look you up, he still lives in Westville KZN ;)

SkypeOut is the ****

I have Vonage ... man I love VOIP ! :cool:

mips
February 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM
ImpiLinux is a complete PC operating system based on the popular, award winning and robust Ubuntu Linux operating system.

That is the new Impi Linux after Canonical took over the reigns and is a very recent development. Was not the case pre-takeover days.

MIPS, I should have my brother look you up, he still lives in Westville KZN ;)

You are scaring me, is he gonna break my kneecaps ? :grin:

earobinson
February 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM
The fact that Ubuntu Linux not being a regional distro is not only astounding but a testament to the people who really are responsible for its creation. My original thoughts were that Linux itself lends itself to being a regional solution, each country or region being able to create and claim their own distribution - having their own distro which is not owned by a huge foreign corporate business. In a way Ubuntu Linux is regional in that the Principle of Ubuntu has its origins in Africa, South Africa to be more precise. It seems the philosophy of Ubuntu has a worldwide appeal to humanity. I find the lack of Ubuntu here in the States to be somewhat depressing.

I guess Africa now does have its own regional distro in Impi Linux which is based on Ubuntu Linux - Impi being a Zulu word for a group of Zulu warriors, one of their war cries being 'Usuthu / Oo-soo-too", which is why Usuthu-Linux was one of the names that came to mind when thinking of Ubuntu-Linux.

An NO, I have no intention of calling Mark Shuttleworth.

This is how the conversation will go:

Hi Mark
Yes
Alan Dennill from the USA
Yes
I sent you that email regarding Ubuntu and Linux a few years back
You have got to be kidding me, seriously
Yes
No, sorry I don't remember
OK, not to worry, Cheers
Cheers
Click !

I would be totally flawed if this correspondence still existed, or even if Mark would even remember the email - 'Gob smacked' would be the word !

Ubuntu the philosophy, and Linux together make for a wonderful dynamic new paradigm - I'm just glad it happened.:D
lol would make for a funny convo.

BLTicklemonster
February 1st, 2006, 04:58 PM
"Mark Shuttleworth, how may I help you?"

"Yeah, I see you went with my original idea I mentioned to you about Ubuntu Linux!"

"... Al? Al Gore? Is this really you?"

#-o

lol just came to mind, had to post. Not meant to challenge the veracity of your statement at all.

Bundu_Ubuntu
February 1st, 2006, 05:20 PM
"Mark Shuttleworth, how may I help you?"

"Yeah, I see you went with my original idea I mentioned to you about Ubuntu Linux!"

"... Al? Al Gore? Is this really you?"

#-o

lol just came to mind, had to post. Not meant to challenge the veracity of your statement at all.

That is exactly what crossed my mind :mrgreen: 'Al Gore, is that you!?' :rolleyes: