PDA

View Full Version : Quick tip to help you get your forum questions answered

tgeer43
August 14th, 2009, 02:30 AM
In forums that are as busy as these are the title of your thread can make the difference between getting a timely response and maybe not getting one at all. Nondescript one-word titles are just not going to cut it. When I logged in just now the first three threads had titles of 'multimedia', 'YouTube', and 'updating'. Come on folks, let's put just a little more effort into it. How about something like 'Need help in configuring multimedia devices' or 'Can't view YouTube videos in Firefox' or 'Strange error message when updating packages'? You'd be surprised at just how much more attention your question will get when people have an idea what you are talking about without having to open up every blessed thread in the forums. There's just too much traffic here for that.

And while I'm on my soapbox, knock it off already with the incessant 'bumps' every 15 minutes. Give it time to be read. This is not a real-time live chat. Sometimes things take a bit of time and besides, folks who have started threads after yours deserve their brief time at the top of the list too. Frequent bumping like that is the digital equivalent of cutting in line and you ought to know just how popular that is. [-X

Ok, I feel much better now. :rolleyes:

tgeer

Marlonsm
August 14th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I've already seen a thread like this some time ago, but it's always good to remember.

Another thing I'd like to add: Remember that your question is as important as everybody's else, so no titles like "PLEASE, HELP NOW!!!!!!!!".

And just bump at most once every 24 hours, so everybody will have a chance to read it before it's bumped.

credobyte
August 14th, 2009, 02:43 AM
And while I'm on my soapbox, knock it off already with the incessant 'bumps' every 15 minutes. Give it time to be read. This is not a real-time live chat.

Comparing to Fedora/Debian forums, this is a live chat :D