PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu

Merrib64
August 14th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I have a computer with two hard drives installed. XP is installed on drive c:, the second hard drive is partioned as D: and E:. Hard drive D: is empty and I use drive E: as my backup information drive. My question is two fold:

1. I want to have a dual boot system, will I need to install any software to get a dual boot at computer start up to select what operating system that I want ?

2. Drive D: is where I want to install Ubuntu currently it is formatted for XP, when I install Ubuntu from boot up will it allow me to install it on drive D: and will it partition and format this drive accordingly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

j.bell730
August 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I have a computer with two hard drives installed. XP is installed on drive c:, the second hard drive is partioned as D: and E:. Hard drive D: is empty and I use drive E: as my backup information drive. My question is two fold:

1. I want to have a dual boot system, will I need to install any software to get a dual boot at computer start up to select what operating system that I want ?

2. Drive D: is where I want to install Ubuntu currently it is formatted for XP, when I install Ubuntu from boot up will it allow me to install it on drive D: and will it partition and format this drive accordingly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

1. Yes, GRUB should be installed. It's an extremely useful bootloader that can also assist in recovery should you need it. GRUB should be installed along with Ubuntu, so you need not do anything extraordinary.

2. Yes, you will have the option for Ubuntu to do this automatically for you (or you can do it yourself if you know how).

ohmman
August 14th, 2009, 01:51 AM
You did not say how big your unused D: partition is. My install of Ubuntu 9.04 is approximately 8Gb in size with a 5Gb swap partition. I always have a dual boot system because I share the computer with my family members. I use Grub installed along with the Ubuntu install. I have been successful with different Linux distros dual booting along side XP and Vista. Pay close attention to how Linux names hard drives and partitions, very different than Windows.

Merrib64
August 14th, 2009, 03:31 AM
You did not say how big your unused D: partition is. My install of Ubuntu 9.04 is approximately 8Gb in size with a 5Gb swap partition. I always have a dual boot system because I share the computer with my family members. I use Grub installed along with the Ubuntu install. I have been successful with different Linux distros dual booting along side XP and Vista. Pay close attention to how Linux names hard drives and partitions, very different than Windows.

Drive D: will be 35 Gigs and will be used only for Ubuntu.
Bob

running_rabbit07
August 14th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Just so you know, Grub is automatically installed when you install Ubuntu.

raymondh
August 14th, 2009, 04:26 AM
EDIT .... erased. Did not notice the 2 HD set-up ... sorry