PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Troubles Installing Ubuntu

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I am using an older Windows XP Professional. I burned LinuxMint onto a disk and when I try to boot it, it takes me to a screen that says:

GRUB4DOS O.4.4 2009-04-21, MEMORY:640K/765M, MENU END: 0x43456 [Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completion. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ESC at any time exits.]

I burned two different disks and they do the same, so I don't know if there is something I just need to do at this screen?

Edit: Same problem with other versions.

--Additional Problems--
I got mint to install on my other computer, but when I try logging on I get a black screen.

And now on my older comp, I cant log onto my Windows XP account anymore. It gives me an error (Auto Check can't be found and so the comp constantly restarts.)

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 01:49 AM
No one has seen anything like this, or has a solution?

hansdown
August 14th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Hi BananasInPajamas.

Did you by any chance download the server version of mint?

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I got it from the LinuxMint site

would I need to do anything with that Grub thing to fix it, or would the ISO's im burning end up corrupting?

hansdown
August 14th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Not to add to your frustration, but I would download a new one from here.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Make sure you burn it at the slowest possible speed. Hope this helps.

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I'll try it, I only have 2 disks left though.

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Got the same thing, takes me to GRUB and idk what to do there

hansdown
August 14th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I've never encountered that, and when I googled it, the only link is your thread.

Ummm, sorry?

*slinks away*

*comes back filled with renewed strength*

I have had trouble installing some distros, when other ones load great.

Are you looking for mint because of the extras?

I can help with the multi-media things if you would like to install ubuntu 9.04.

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I got mint to install on my other computer with Windows Vista, but when I restart and try logging on, the screen turns black :(

And now on my older comp, I cant log onto my Windows XP account anymore.

presence1960
August 14th, 2009, 04:37 AM
what graphics card do you have? If you have an ATI or Nvidia at GRUB boot into recovery mode and choose command prompt with networking. Log in and run this command
envyng -t make sure your num lock is on and follow the prompts. This will install your driver for your ATI or Nvidia card.

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
My friend told me the reason is because my comp is AMD(?) not Intel. So I needed a different version of Mint. I tried x64 and when I tried booting it, I didn't have enough disk space and I couldn't get to the login screen, then when I REBOOTED, I got to the login screen but my mouse and keyboard stopped working.

presence1960
August 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
My friend told me the reason is because my comp is AMD(?) not Intel. So I needed a different version of Mint. I tried x64 and when I tried booting it, I didn't have enough disk space and I couldn't get to the login screen, then when I REBOOTED, I got to the login screen but my mouse and keyboard stopped working.

Sorry to say but your friend is incorrect. 32 bit and 64 bit Mint work on both Intel & AMD CPUs. 64 bit is labeled AMD64 basically because AMD was first to implement it, but it does work on Intel 64 bit CPUs.

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
So that wasn't my problem, and now I have 2 different Linux versions on my comp lol. One that goes to a black screen and one that freezes at login.

presence1960
August 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I would get rid of one of those Linux partitions and reinstall. Go here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions) for boot options. you may want to look at one or more of the top 3 options for F6

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM
By the way, my graphics card is Nvidia, I tried that code you gave me, I did the recommended settings, and the Main Edition still gives me a black screen.

presence1960
August 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
By the way, my graphics card is Nvidia, I tried that code you gave me, I did the recommended settings, and the Main Edition still gives me a black screen.

check out the link in post #14

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I can't press F6 at the menu, and which partition am I to delete from the list? It reads:

Partition | File System
/dev/sda1 ntfs
/dev/sda2 extended
/dev/sda7 ext3
/dev/sda8 linux-swap
/dev/sda5 ext3
/dev/sda6 linuxswap
/dev/sda3 ntfs

BananasInPajamas
August 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I deleted x64, so scrap that one.