PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Applications tab went blank

booka-dooka
August 13th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Yesterday i found a program on my computer called "Menu Editor". it was under: Applications>Other>Menu editor
It had an Ubuntu logo next to it. When i opened it i realised it seemed the same as the Main Menu program under :System>Preferences>Main Menu. After clicking a few arrows on the menu tree i closed the program. When i went to open another application, the applications tab on the toolbar was blank. i wanted to take a screen shot of the problem, but i cant get to the screen shot program. i know the programs are still there, but i can't access them. the main menu program (System>Preferences>Main Menu) will not open, and i don't know why. is there a way to bring back my "Applications" tab, without re installing Ubuntu? that wouldn't be a problem, but i would rather not. i am running Ubuntu jaunty and it has just been updated.

Schendje
August 14th, 2009, 12:52 AM
You can also use the "real" screenshot button on your keyboard for screenshots.

Btw, right-click GNOME's panel, choose "Add to Panel" and add "Main Menu" to the panel. Open that to reach your programs. Right-click on it and choose "Edit Menus" to sort things out.

Hope that helps. :)

booka-dooka
August 14th, 2009, 01:37 AM
file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.jpgi added the gnome menu to my toolbar. this was not the problem. it will not take a screen shot after i click on "Applications", but maybe i could describe it better.
on my toolbar across the top of my desk top:
Firefox logo, Help icon, Ubuntu logo, Applications, Places, System.
if i click on places or system, the menu drops down and displays them as normal, but when i click on applications, a small blank square falls down below the applications tab, and has nothing to click on. the tabs: Accessories, graphics, other, ect. do not even appear.

epicoder
August 14th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Right click on the menu and choose 'edit menus'.

Anything in italics is hidden, and vice-versa.

'Prnt Scrn' on your keyboard should take a screenshot.

booka-dooka
August 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM
i click edit menus and nothing happens, no program opens

booka-dooka
August 14th, 2009, 04:48 AM
deleted the file /home/<username>/.config/menus/applications.menu as explained in another tread. this brought back the menu instantly.:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS:KSthanks for the help

cmannnn
August 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Thank you i had this proble to and your solution worked for me thanks so much