PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] The difference in installation protocol

DarkHold
August 13th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Okay... Been a happy Ubuntu user for 3 years now... On a regular desktop, I havent had many issues....

Purchased a laptop the other day, its older... Vaio z505sx. I like it just fine, but it came blank. So, obviously, I put xubuntu on it...

The machine comes with a cdrom drive that connects through the pcmcia port, which was a bit odd, but whatever... No floppy, (Though I understand there is one available) And one usb port.

Stuck in the alternate install disk for xubuntu 9.04 and installed it without a hitch. There were a few error messages, but it boots and runs fine. (Sloppy of me to not run them down and fix them, but its low on the priority list)

Anyways, while it runs fine its still a bit laggy, and it was suggested that I run slackware or DSL on it, just to squeeze a bit more out of it...

downloaded DSL, as I've used and installed it before, stuck it in, rebooted.

it loaded up the initial splash screen, and when i hit enter to continue. it ceased its operation while it was looking for the cd-rom drive... so as a result, cant replace the OS simply because it wont boot from the strange cd-rom/pcmcia combo drive....

so, whats the difference between the install of the two? And more importantly, how do I get it to work?

/yeah, its more of a DSL issue... but...