PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving from 8.04 to 9.04

Hammeh
August 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hello!!

I am relitively new to ubuntu so I will try and explain my question as best I can. My dad is currently running Ubuntu 8.04 on his laptop (64-bit) and he loves it a lot. I run Ubuntu 9.04 as a virtual machine on my windows desktop. After using my ubuntu, he wishes to upgrade his own to the most recent version.

His only worry is, that he had great trouble getting drivers for his wireless card. Will the upgrade remove or change the installed drivers??

Thanks for your help,
Hammeh

sblunix
August 13th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hello!!

I am relitively new to ubuntu so I will try and explain my question as best I can. My dad is currently running Ubuntu 8.04 on his laptop (64-bit) and he loves it a lot. I run Ubuntu 9.04 as a virtual machine on my windows desktop. After using my ubuntu, he wishes to upgrade his own to the most recent version.

His only worry is, that he had great trouble getting drivers for his wireless card. Will the upgrade remove or change the installed drivers??

Thanks for your help,
Hammeh

Well, I'm pretty sure that it'll work just fine, first go ahead and check the drivers for compatibility with 9.04 on google before doing anything, and also, go ahead and burn a LiveCD of 9.04 too just to see how that will work out... Personally, I think doing a fresh install'd be best but nonetheless it'll probably work fine. Also remember that you're going to have to go through 8.10 then to 9.04, unless you do the fresh install..
If you don't wanna fresh install tell him to go ahead and run "Update Manager" From "System->Administration->Update Manager" and check all options, should keep all his drivers and install 8.10 then 9.04 with hopefully no problems...

Hammeh
August 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the input!! Sounds like good news to me =D
Can someone else confirm this before I tell him to do the upgrade tomorrow?

Thanks!
Hammeh

wojox
August 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I'd find out what drivers he has and google about compatibility for 9.04. Realize also you have to upgrade to 8.10 first then 9.04.

LewRockwell
August 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the input!! Sounds like good news to me =D
Can someone else confirm this before I tell him to do the upgrade tomorrow?

Thanks!
Hammeh

NO ONE...

REPEAT!!!

No one should upgrade from one version to the next without confirming the successful operations via a LiveCD of the desired, but not yet installed, version...

Maybe back in the dark ages Dim and Dork needed to club each other in the head to crack their skulls for brain surgery but now that we have LiveCD test-drive functionality...

why drive blindly off the cliff?

seriously!?!

upgrade(instead of a fresh install) at your own risk of time, headache, and heartache

hope you got fresh back-ups!

As always, your mileage may vary...

We now return you to your regularily scheduled programming

credobyte
August 13th, 2009, 09:59 PM
By the first, you can't upgrade from 8.04 to 9.04 without upgrading it to 8.10 ( haven't tried it, however, it's not an easy process and might result in a lot of problems ). All I want to say is, do a fresh install of 9.04 ;)
Regarding wireless drivers - I had problems on 8.04 .. they disappeared upon upgrading to 9.04 ( in most cases, it will work ).

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM
NO ONE...

REPEAT!!!

No one should upgrade from one version to the next without confirming the successful operations via a LiveCD of the desired, but not yet installed, version...

Maybe back in the dark ages Dim and Dork needed to club each other in the head to crack their skulls for brain surgery but now that we have LiveCD test-drive functionality...

why drive blindly off the cliff?

seriously!?!

upgrade(instead of a fresh install) at your own risk of time, headache, and heartache

hope you got fresh back-ups!

As always, your mileage may vary...

We now return you to your regularily scheduled programming

This is true.

Slim Odds
August 13th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I would mostly agree with Lew.

The only thing you can't really try out are things like the proprietary graphics drivers. These must be loaded at boot time.

But for most everything else, definitely try the LiveCD first.

credobyte is also correct, there is no direct upgrade path from 8.04 to 9.04 (you must go to 8.10 first or just backup all the data and install 9.04 directly).

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I would mostly agree with Lew.

The only thing you can't really try out are things like the proprietary graphics drivers. These must be loaded at boot time.

But for most everything else, definitely try the LiveCD first.

credobyte is also correct, there is no direct upgrade path from 8.04 to 9.04 (you must go to 8.10 first or just backup all the data and install 9.04 directly).

Yes I agree with Lew tew.

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I have never had any good experiences with upgrading via Update Manager. I would do a clean install if I were you. But that's just me. :)

mangurt
August 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I had good experiences with Upgrading...but I seem to be the lucky one. I'd still download the livecd and give that a go first.