PDA

View Full Version : How do I handle this?

jimw
August 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Apparently the term "netbook" is under litigation, so I received my mini notebook today. As promised, it has Ubuntu 8.04 on it. In preparation for upgrading, I had downloaded the karmic netbook remix, but I see that what I've got is an .iso. My understanding was that, for loading from a flash-drive, I needed a .img file.

Since I don't have any external cd drives that attach by usb, what are my options?

JimW

Mark Phelps
August 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM
You are aware that 9.10 is an "alpha" right? And that installing is it nearly guaranteed to produce a system that is not only unstable, but is also likely to have quite a few things that don't work?

Given the difficulty of installing/replacing OSs on a Netbook, why would you want to do that?

snakeman21
August 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Installing OS's on a netbook isn't difficult at all. I have an Acer Aspire One, and installing is a breeze, if you have a spare usb stick and the proper knowledge. To answer the original question, no, you do not need an .img file. You did for the netbook remix of Jaunty, but that more the exception than the rule. Just put the iso on the desktop or somewhere that you'll remember, and insert your usb stick. Then go to USB Startup Disk Creator, choose your iso, and click install. When it's done, reboot with the stick in (make sure to tell it to boot from the usb device) and install your new OS from there. It's just as easy as using a CD, and I've done it to mine more times than I could count on both my hands.

Edit: But yes, Karmic is in "Alpha." Expect it to be unstable, buggy, and to present you with a LOT of problems. I would go with Jaunty for now, just until Karmic is stable.

Bucky Ball
August 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
... Then go to USB Startup Disk Creator

OP using 8.04 and that is not there.

Yes, stick with 8.04 for the moment. It is a really good place to start as it is stable and a lot of users are quite experienced with it. There is testing and there is stable. Then there is somewhere in between ... ;-)

If you want to break things and have a go at fixing them, I suggest a stable 8.04 partition and create another partition for Karmic Koala and knock yourself out! That's what I'm intending to do end of year.

P4man
August 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
jimw, easiest is that you install USB creator for hardy :

http://ubuntuliving.blogspot.com/2008/11/usb-creator-for-hardy.html

Then you can turn those iso's into bootable sticks, and install fron usb.

I agree with everyone else though to stay away from Karmic for anything other than testing or curiosity.

jimw
August 14th, 2009, 06:41 PM
jimw, easiest is that you install USB creator for hardy :

http://ubuntuliving.blogspot.com/2008/11/usb-creator-for-hardy.html

Then you can turn those iso's into bootable sticks, and install fron usb.

I agree with everyone else though to stay away from Karmic for anything other than testing or curiosity.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll stick with what I've got till the next version is stable.

JimW