PDA

View Full Version : connect IRC server other than freenode.net

bcn17
August 13th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I am very new to IRC. Just started last night. I have a few questions.

First of all I am using pidgin, any other irc client recommendations are welcomed.

Q1. Why is the server irc.ubuntu.com and irc.freenode.net the same server? I can use either one and my now registered name works at both. It seems that my name gaba17 should be gaba17@irc.ubuntu.com OR gaba17@irc.freenode.net. Not both... This is confusing.

Q2. I cannot connect to any other servers. For instance using this list,

http://www.undernet.org/servers.php

I just copy and paste the server name into the server field in pidgin and pick a name, however I am never able to connect. What am I doing wrong? I want to try and find another server with other channels of interest.

Thanks.

LookTJ
August 13th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I will recommend two clients; Xchat and irssi.

:)

calrogman
August 13th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I would recommend ii for those wanting to create simple bots. It's not great for a client but it works.

Firestem4
August 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I just copy and paste the server name into the server field in pidgin and pick a name, however I am never able to connect. What am I doing wrong? I want to try and find another server with other channels of interest.

Thanks.

I use quassel on my machines, or ChatZilla in windows. I am usually on the #sclug channel in OFTC.net since that is my local Linux Users Group's IRC channel.

to connect to it i usually type /server irc.oftc.net (alternatively you can type /join i think, too.)

to join my channel I do /join #sclug

done.

snova
August 13th, 2009, 10:21 PM
First of all I am using pidgin, any other irc client recommendations are welcomed.

I suggest Xchat, it's graphical and has better IRC support than Pidgin (being a dedicated client).

Q1. Why is the server irc.ubuntu.com and irc.freenode.net the same server? I can use either one and my now registered name works at both. It seems that my name gaba17 should be gaba17@irc.ubuntu.com OR gaba17@irc.freenode.net. Not both... This is confusing.

irc.ubuntu.com is a DNS alias.

Q2. I cannot connect to any other servers. For instance using this list,

http://www.undernet.org/servers.php

I couldn't say, I've never used Pidgin.

bcn17
August 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM
lookTJ: I am liking xchat alot.
calrogman: I will try ii when I want to make a bot.
Firestem: I connected using irssi, thanks. You weren't there though!
Snova: ^^xchat! DNS, I see.

Thank you everyone.

Eisenwinter
August 14th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I recommend Irssi for a client.

t0p
August 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Pidgin is naff as an irc client. When I use irc, I use xchat. It's simple as heck to use. But it doesn't seem to want to obey many commands typed into the dialogue box. Luckily, I don't use irc much. If I did, I'd probably investigate some other clients.

bcn17
August 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM
So I have been liking xchat. But one really cool thing I have discovered with irssi is combining it with screen and ssh.