PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu user needs and behaviour survey

jaj23
August 13th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hi all

Please could Ubuntu users take 5 minutes to complete this survey on Ubuntu user needs and behaviour, as part of a larger usability study undertaken at the University of Sussex in collaboration with Canonical, aimed to improve future versions of Ubuntu.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=5YeyH8xmnBkNAMTJTJmILw_3d_3d

Ubuntu users only please :)

jaj23

PuddingKnife
August 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Done. Nice survey ..

aesis05401
August 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Hello,

By not providing a link to an official statement of involvement by Canonical or the University of Sussex you are kinda undercutting your potential respondent base.

I went so far as to click through on your survey link to check for references, but there are none posted on that page.

Then I did a couple of google searches and found your blog and other places you have posted this request, but nothing official showed up in the early pages of search results...

It is too much work to participate in your survey at this time ;)

Dragonbite
August 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I've taken the survey.

koenn
August 13th, 2009, 09:41 PM
what aesis05401 said.

And while we're at it, could you explain, seeing that you say

Please could Ubuntu users take 5 minutes to complete this survey on Ubuntu user needs and behaviour, ....

Ubuntu users only please :)

why is question 7 in the survey :

7. What Operating Systems do you use? (tick all that apply)

Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows 7
Mac OS
Ubuntu
Other linux/unix
Don't know
Don't care
Other (please specify)

wojox
August 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hello,

By not providing a link to an official statement of involvement by Canonical or the University of Sussex you are kinda undercutting your potential respondent base.

I went so far as to click through on your survey link to check for references, but there are none posted on that page.

Then I did a couple of google searches and found your blog and other places you have posted this request, but nothing official showed up in the early pages of search results...

+1 Exactly what I was thinking

andlinux21
August 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Survey completed nice...

Copernicus1234
August 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM
what aesis05401 said.

Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows 7
Mac OS
Ubuntu
Other linux/unix
Don't know
Don't care
Other (please specify)

Most of us are forced to use Windows at work. Perhaps thats why its included. I use Windows XP at work, but its not my choice. Its the typical story of a corporation who have lots of old systems that need Internet Explorer and Word/Powerpoint to function... :/

slakkie
August 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM
what aesis05401 said.

Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows 7
Mac OS
Ubuntu
Other linux/unix
Don't know
Don't care
Other (please specify)

Because you use Ubuntu doesn't mean you don't use other OS'sen. I use OSX, Solaris, FreeBSD, Debian and Vista (and other Windows versions like 2003 server).

deadbeatdrum
August 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hello,

I guess I knew I would register here on these forums at some point. I am sort of with aesis on this one. Whenever one of these links to a survey arises I get as paranoid as the character Travis Bickle (Robert De Niro) in Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver.

Is this genuine?

Ranax
August 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I am not sure if this is genuine.

Sealbhach
August 13th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I am not sure if this is genuine.

Survey completed. Don't be paranoid, they're not asking for your bank account details.

I think this is the guy who is doing the survey:

http://www.blogger.com/profile/12757484414016703813

Ranax
August 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Survey completed. Don't be paranoid, they're not asking for your bank account details.

That makes more sense.

koenn
August 13th, 2009, 11:22 PM

it's not about paranoia, it's about proper procedure.
I might be willing to spend some time on a genuine usability study, but I'm not interested in wasting time on yet another blogger who just discovered surveymonkey, a fanboi with an agenda, or a marketing survey in disguise.

aesis05401
August 14th, 2009, 12:03 AM
it's not about paranoia, it's about proper procedure.
I might be willing to spend some time on a genuine usability study, but I'm not interested in wasting time on yet another blogger who just discovered surveymonkey, a fanboi with an agenda, or a marketing survey in disguise.

+1. That sums it up very nicely.

murderslastcrow
August 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Well-thought. I hope if Canonical starts doing official surveys they can become more specific to features we want in different areas.

lisati
August 14th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Most of us are forced to use Windows at work. Perhaps thats why its included. I use Windows XP at work, but its not my choice. Its the typical story of a corporation who have lots of old systems that need Internet Explorer and Word/Powerpoint to function... :/

I use Ubuntu, Win 98SE, XP and Vista at home: Ubuntu because I want to and I like it, Win98SE because it's the only OS I've had any measure of success with on one of my machines, and XP & Vista because of laziness/frustration searching for an Ubuntu-friendly equivalent for some software I use (mainly video editing).

Edit: Minor complaint: a couple of the questions I wanted to click more than one answer but it wouldn't let me.

jrusso2
August 14th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Now that I think about it why would Cannonical use survey monkey to do a survey?

I just don't like being tricked into doing it.

dragos240
August 14th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Objective achieved. Completed survey.

jaj23
August 14th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Just to clear stuff up for anyone that is worried this is illegitimate...

This survey is part of a usability study by a university researcher at the University of Sussex, and yes I am very much working in collaboration with the guys at Canonical (i.e. in regular contact with them and sharing data and results).

The data is also fully confidential to these two parties.

All your inputs appreciated.

jaj23

jaj23
August 14th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Just thought I would add that if you go to one of my blogs, which documents my early experiences with Ubuntu as a usability researcher:

http://ubuntuusability.blogspot.com/

You will find that Ivanka Majic is a follower. She is one of the lead designers at Canonical.

Hope that clears everything up :)

jaj23
August 14th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Please keep the responses coming

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...TJTJmILw_3d_3d (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=5YeyH8xmnBkNAMTJTJmILw_3d_3d)

Elfy
August 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Please do not bump these request so quickly thank you.

Just to clear stuff up for anyone that is worried this is illegitimate...

It might be worth getting someone people recognise to back that up rather than a user recently joined.

Warpnow
August 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I don't like that the highest level of computer use is working in the industry. I know more about both hardware and software than many of my CS student friends. Alot of CS people really get lost once they're not in MS Visual C++.

Perfect Storm
August 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Done.

aesis05401
August 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Done.

Is that in reference to confirming the legitimacy of the survey?

If so, I'll go take the thing now ;)

MaxIBoy
August 14th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Hee, hee, hee.

Curve officially blown.

To the survey designer: I'm the under-18 male who has messed with every single aspect of the UI and who has a home server. Just so you know.

installed different desktop environments but stuck with GNOME, installed cairo-dock, installed conky, embedded a terminal in the desktop using compiz, customized compiz options heavily, created custom icons, created custom themes, created custom backgrounds, installed the "stylish" firefox plugin for userstyles, messed with xorg.conf to get a dual-monitor configuration in "big desktop" mode, changed the gdm theme manually thru the command line, edited the gnome menus. I've changed nearly every aspect. I tend to prefer dark themes so the default ones don't really do it for me.

jaj23
August 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Thank you for all your responses

The survey is now closed

jaj23

Dragonbite
August 16th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Thank you for all your responses

The survey is now closed

jaj23

And the results are?...