PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mobile] Can i install linux on my Sony Erricson Mobile

shashwat
August 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I have seen linux on my friend's Motorola Hanheld Mobile Telephone Device.
I was purely amazed by what linux can offer to a mobile device.After some surfing and goolging I found out many linux mobile OSs. But None of them were for a Sony Ericsson Mobile Phone. Can anyone suggest me a OS that can run a Sony Ericsson K320i.Or can anyone just tell me how to install these "non-compatible" OSs on my Sony Ericsson K320i:-k

Hospadar
August 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
The short answer is no. It may be doable, but it would certainly be hard, and probably some things (like the phone part of the phone) would no longer work. It would also probably require programming skills and good knowlege of the kernel, the ARM instruction set, and how to best port things.

That said, I may be wrong, if someone has already done it, they probably put instructions up somewhere, and if so, you may be able to do it too. I would just google around, if it's possible, it's probably a pretty specialized process and also probably won't totally produce the results you are hoping for (a lot of times "getting linux running on a device" means some hacker got it to boot, and has a cool terminal prompt, which is fun for them, a sweet linux kernel hacker, but not for you, someone who presumably wants to use their device)