PDA

View Full Version : I'm creating a little help sheet for first-time ubuntu users

chaosx9
August 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah! I found that a lot of tips on the forums was very useful, but i thought I would bring all of the help that you find on the net together into one guide for K/X/Ubuntu users.

I need some help on how to do certain things in K and X, because i've only ever used U. Anyone interested?

tripolitan
August 13th, 2009, 03:34 PM
For most beginners, I think that the installation process is the biggest hurdle with all kinds of different hardware and PC/laptop configurations out there.

As for use, I think that this is a non-issue as most beginners are either migrants from a familiar point-click OS or complete newbies to computers who will struggle, no matter what they use.

The ubuntu forums offer a lot of cases from which one could draw ideas.

bodyharvester
August 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
ive only ever used Ubuntu, but i wish you luck!

alindgr1
August 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I think a guide would be very helpful, perhaps for people who just switched. There are guides and books that will teach you about Linux and Ubuntu, though.

I recently switched from Window$ to Ubuntu, and I love it :P I am not a programmer or computer scientist, but I know them pretty good. The biggest problem I had with switching is trying to figure out "where" everything was. I spent alot of time cruising these forums and still go back to the same ones when I reload a computer.

I guess I would have liked a checklist of places and websites to go to for information.

Finally, I love Ubuntu and will only go back to Windows kicking and screaming.

Screwdriver0815
August 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I have Kubuntu. So if you need specific answers, I will answer them, if I can.

Most of the things are similar but some things need to be done different because of the different GUI

chaosx9
August 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks screwdriver, i'll definitely be needin your help at certain points

chaosx9
August 29th, 2009, 03:41 AM
i've got the first version of it done. At the moment, i've only managed to get upto fixing problems with the sound playback in ubuntu. If anybody want's to add some bits to it, then they're free to do so. Just leave your e-mail here and i'll e-mail you the original odf file (or you could make an additional bit, and send it to me to include)

http://uploading.com/files/48E7HR5V/Linux Help Sheet.pdf.html

Phreaker
August 29th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Most of the stuff is Ubuntu-specific, so you should rename it to be Ubuntu Help Sheet

HappinessNow
August 29th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Yeah! I found that a lot of tips on the forums was very useful, but i thought I would bring all of the help that you find on the net together into one guide for K/X/Ubuntu users.

I need some help on how to do certain things in K and X, because i've only ever used U. Anyone interested?
http://www.psychocats.net/

chaosx9
September 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM
I know that at the moment it's ubuntu specific, but i am inviting people to help me add to it, in terms of help for other distro's, such as any differences in linux mint, debian etc.

I might rename it, and just make other ones though

steveneddy
September 2nd, 2009, 03:37 AM
Um - what about those links in my sig?

Aren't they for the beginner AND the seasoned Ubuntu user?

Don't forget to add "Don't Panic!"

chaosx9
April 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I know that i've stayed off of this for long, but i have started the guide again from scratch, and it's going very well. I'm not sure which is better, whether to make three separate guides, or one big guide (especially with Lubuntu around the corner, probably bringing it to four)

Jennytorns
April 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Really? This is such a great idea and I am VERY thankful for it! :)

Frogs Hair
April 12th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I found the sticky in Absolute Beginner Talk a great place to start, and if I had read it more carefully I would have avoided asking some questions in the forums. Good idea ! if can get all the links to good up to date information in one place it would great.

TheNerdAL
April 12th, 2010, 10:52 PM
For most beginners, I think that the installation process is the biggest hurdle with all kinds of different hardware and PC/laptop configurations out there...

I agree, but only the partitioning

Doctor Mike
April 12th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I agree, but only the partitioningTheNerdAL has a point. Some of the legacy rewrites of what was tried an true are creating problems. Grub2, Partition manager, etc. Am I missing something?

chaosx9
May 2nd, 2010, 08:24 PM
Anyone who's still watching this space:

I got an update on progress if anybody's interested.

I've done quite a few of the first running things, and i've made a few tips for partitioning outside and inside of the live CD (outside of it being within windows)

At the moment i'm working on making a guide for people who want to use easybcd to make a nice looking loader which won't mess up when uninstalling ubuntu

I'm also working on tryna get some more info in on K/Xubuntu, but if anyone knows their way around Xubuntu, please PM me. I need help on that bit. :confused:

Thanks for support from people already helping me out!:P:P:P

arnab_das
May 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
how about this : http://explore-ubuntu.blogspot.com/2010/03/ubuntu-1004-beta1-closer-look.html (link's in my signature as well)

its not as extensive as psychocats but it can be helpful i guess. take a look.

chaosx9
May 23rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Sitrep for everyone:

I've started adding more guides for people who want to make it a desktop machine, so that it ends up being more specific to what they'll want to do.

Just added a guide to using Blueman rather than Gnome-Bluetooth, and a way to schedule tasks.

I'm thinking of making a separate document for partitioning, rather than including it in this one at the moment, as it seems to be the hot topic, so I'll get onto that and leave the whole guide to one side for a week or so.

EDIT: Also working on adding help for conky users (i know there's a page out there with all of the commands and objects, but it's just to collate it all)

chaosx9
June 1st, 2010, 01:05 PM
Sitrep: Baad problem:

My laptop is DEAD! (no!) I'll just have to wait a month till i can get the money up for a new one. But when i do, i'll probs get a pdf link out

sudoer541
June 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
We already have tons of ubuntu tutz, so we dont need more confusion to be added!!!

Love ya!!!

chaosx9
July 11th, 2010, 11:31 AM
sitrep everyone:

I've got a lot done over the last few weeks, it should only be a maximum of three more weeks until i get a link for the guide up, as long as i have a front cover by then (if not, i'll just put it up as it is)

I have a thread asking for help with the cover, here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9575350#post9575350

If you've had any experiences that you've ended up getting solved, or have any problems you'd got solved by the forums that you want me to check out, then PM or e-mail me on:

hmohammed43 (at) gmail (dot) com

scouser73
July 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
sitrep everyone:

I've got a lot done over the last few weeks, it should only be a maximum of three more weeks until i get a link for the guide up, as long as i have a front cover by then (if not, i'll just put it up as it is)

I have a thread asking for help with the cover, here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9575350#post9575350

If you've had any experiences that you've ended up getting solved, or have any problems you'd got solved by the forums that you want me to check out, then PM or e-mail me on:

hmohammed43 (at) gmail (dot) com

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but this has already been done.

http://ubuntu-manual.org/

chaosx9
July 13th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I looked though the document quite briefly, and it goes through if it's a flawless install, which is hardly ever the case with a lot of laptops. Looking through, it was more an instruction manual.

What i want to do is different. It's more an index of a lot of different things. Like, comparisons of docks, some useful applications to install and how useful they can be, overcoming certain problems, such as sound problems on certain laptops and ubuntu versions (once I start getting to it) and things like that.

chaosx9
July 13th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Update: I've got an incomplete (and quite short) version of the guide up, so everyone can see what I've made right now:

http://uploading.com/files/c58a9121/ubuntu_guide.pdf/

or, if you don't like the little "wait this long for free download at a supposedly slower rate" then e-mail me (e-mail in post above) asking me for a copy, and I'll send it to you.

sudoer541
July 14th, 2010, 12:53 AM
We already have the Ubuntu Manual and it does a great job.
We dont need more guides, cuz it will confuse us ever more.

Thanks for caring though... we love you! :p

EditL I just realized...that I have already posted here...lol sorry!!!

chaosx9
July 14th, 2010, 08:36 AM
We already have the Ubuntu Manual and it does a great job.
We dont need more guides, cuz it will confuse us ever more.

Thanks for caring though... we love you! :p

EditL I just realized...that I have already posted here...lol sorry!!!
Have you looked through my guide?

chaosx9
July 21st, 2010, 08:35 PM
Different link via. Mediafire:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ehfxa2nenry1771/ubuntu_guide.pdf