PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] box upgrade

johnh10000
August 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hi gang BEFORE I do this, I'm going to ask first.

I have come accross a slightly faster box, for what has become my server box. It's presently running the following servers.

Axigen - mail
Samba
Apache2
ftp
Icecast

.. etc

So all I want to be able to do, is just swap the harddisks,.

now whats the commands so it can update it's drivers etc, pls

dstew
August 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I have been told, although I haven't tried it, that you can just put an Ubuntu hard drive into a PC, boot it, and it will activate the necessary kernel modules on its own. It is different than a Windows installation, which needs to have new drivers installed for a different machine. Anyway, its worth a try.

johnh10000
August 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I have been told, although I haven't tried it, that you can just put an Ubuntu hard drive into a PC, boot it, and it will activate the necessary kernel modules on its own. It is different than a Windows installation, which needs to have new drivers installed for a different machine. Anyway, its worth a try.

Well I'll try it later, off to the pub first ;)
And I'll report back. From what I've read though Ubuntu, is soposed to be idiot proof, so... we'll see soon.

johnh10000
August 13th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Well I'll try it later, off to the pub first ;)
And I'll report back. From what I've read though Ubuntu, is soposed to be idiot proof, so... we'll see soon.

Well after swaping. and adding one cdrw and removing...

I get hex dumps 2of, bug22 or int22 or something. The memtest thingy worked. Anyhow back to the old sever.

Will ponder more later.