PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Install Kubuntu-Desktop on Ubuntu - Is it recommended?

Kaisersoze
August 13th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Hi all,

Im running jaunty with gnome. I would like to know your opinnion on installing Kubuntu-desktop on top of Ubuntu. Will my system get slow with those 2 windows manahgers.. will it become less stable?

I have tried to install in on a virtual machine and everything went smoothly... I realize that once I install KDE I wont be able to remove it since it will always get some error...nevertheless I miss KDE (used for more than a year) and this 4.3 seems really cool.

Do you think it is safe to have them both or do you recomend installing a fresh Kubuntu version (not quite in the mood for a new setup)

Thank you!

sasho_zl
August 13th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Sure it's safe. You will just have to choose a desktop environment from your login screen. It won't change your system performance in any way.

Kaisersoze
August 13th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Well I tried to Add KDE and I did not like it because, somehow Gnome and KDE do not get along...

Once you startup with KDE it will change the fonts and load a bunch of gnome daemons. The result is not so good. Example: KDE will still load screenlets and other Gnome startup options

Created a new user, and the result is a bit better, nevertheless, it is still slow and Compiz settings migrate from Gnome to KDE.

I would recommend a fresh kubuntu install. It works but its not the same... no good for me.

mcduck
August 13th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Well I tried to Add KDE and I did not like it because, somehow Gnome and KDE do not get along...

Once you startup with KDE it will change the fonts and load a bunch of gnome daemons. The result is not so good. Example: KDE will still load screenlets and other Gnome startup options

Created a new user, and the result is a bit better, nevertheless, it is still slow and Compiz settings migrate from Gnome to KDE.

I would recommend a fresh kubuntu install. It works but its not the same... no good for me.

How did you start KDE after installing it? It definitely shouldn't load any Gnome startup stuff, and never has done that for me..

I have currently Gnome, KDE, Openbox, XFCE and LXDE installed on the same machine, and I use all of them with the same user account without any problems.. HAving multiple desktop environments/window managers shouldn't have any effect on performance as only one of them is running at a time.

Kaisersoze
August 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I started KDE selection the session on the login manager.. dont know why but it loaded me a bunch of gnome stuff, including the screenlets!

I have reverted to Gnome. KDE seemed also quite slow, I guess it may due to the fact that it is also running gnome daemons (not sure)

Cheers

sokolenko
August 13th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Can't install kubuntu envinroment on ubuntu, but thik that is possible