PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem accessing anything with a password

htfqueen
August 13th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Noob here and a frustrated one right now!

I have a Dell Mini 9 (in a lovely pink!) with 8.4 installed from the factory. Purchased in late April and it's been somewhat of a rollercoaster to understand this system. I am hardly tech saavy but I've managed to wade through several issues on my own successfully. That is until a couple of weeks ago when I was out of town and trying to access my email.

I would type in my screenname (aol), enter the password and....nothing. Thought it might be AOL and so moved on to Facebook to check my page....entered email addy and password and nothing. Turns out anything requiring a password to enter is unpassable at the moment. For a brief second I had it working....cleared the history on the browser and that seemed to do the trick twice but then nothing. And in fact, it doesnt appear that my browser history is completely cleared either.

I am at my wits end.

So...I am appealing to the forum for assist. Has anyone had this issue come up before and how did you repair it? I am a real noob and techspeak is like a foreign language so any help in laymans terms will be appreciated. Save me from chucking the whole thing and having Windows installed!

jrothwell97
August 13th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums!

I'm not entirely sure what's happenning. You say that when you enter your screen name and password, nothing happens? Does that mean a blank page comes up? Does it mean that nothing happens at all?

Clorow
August 13th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I've never heard of that problem before, but it might be that what you type just doesn't show up, but is still there, so you can press Enter after you type your password. This happens usually on the command line, but I haven't seen it outside of that. If pressing Enter or a "Log in" button won't work after you type in your password, then I don't know what's wrong.

Paqman
August 13th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Sounds like your browser has gone wonky.

Slightly heavy-handed solution: nuke the whole thing and start from fresh.

Back up your bookmarks (Bookmarks > Organise > Import and Backup > Backup
Go to your home folder, pres Ctrl-H and delete the .mozilla folder
Open Synaptic and reinstall firefox
Import your bookmarks back in

This will throw out your whole profile, resintall the browser and start again from scratch.