PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Hide User Name @ Login?

Qagak
August 13th, 2009, 05:14 AM
G'day. I was wondering: Is there a way to hide your user name at the login screen or get Kubuntu to NOT remember the last user who logged onto the system?

Thanks for all of your help! (Oh ya... I just did a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.04 from a CD & it's the only thing on the computer.)

starcraft.man
August 13th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I am guessing your thinking about security from a local pov. Someone coming up to screen seeing username and then just trying to guess your pass. Let me just say, don't be. If someone's got physical access to your computer, there's an endless number of ways to get at your stuff, and no way to stop em all. Easiest being taking your HD out of comp (thus having all data) and then just working on it at home. Trivial. By same token, having a pass that isn't something everyone knows about you never hurts either.

Kubuntu a good choice btw.

If you really insist, see System Settings in Kmenu > Advanced Tab > Login Manager > Convenience Tab and tinker with settings. There's an option there says preselected user or none, choose none. Might be more settings too ya might like, look around.

Qagak
August 13th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for your reply! It gets the job done.

I'm not worried about any thing in particular. I was just surprised when I saw it on the login screen. (I haven't used Windows in a long time that I actually forgot that it's there too.)

You know, it's sort of like Xubuntu, it's not there. Ubuntu, it's not there. UNR, it's not there (when I was the only user on the computer). I got used to that & when I saw Kubuntu, I was like, "Huh? .... :-k .... Oh.... Okay...." :-)

Thanks again!