PDA

View Full Version : Wow there are loads of Linux jobs out there

Bigtime_Scrub
August 13th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I just got out of college and I was looking for work and I've been blown away with all the Linux related opportunities out there. It really is incredible. I looked over on Rackspace and there are tons of stuff available if you know Python, can write scripts, PHP, and can set up Apache. Its crazy. How come no one ever told me about this stuff. :popcorn:

I want to apply for a position there bad. Anyone have any advice?

Firestem4
August 13th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Linux/UNIX experience (regardless of certification or not) is one of the most highly sought-after qualities in the I.T. field. Major corporations pay big bucks for those skills. Its nice =)

sdlynx
August 13th, 2009, 04:48 AM
and they (parents) say I should do something productive... I am!

Katalog
August 13th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Funn you should mention that. I was just browsing articles in Liferea and saw one that said people with Linux/Unix experience are the second most in demand in the IT industry.

MikeTheC
August 13th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hmmm... I had no idea. Well, that's cool since I'm going after a CIS Management degree in college. I'll be sure to bump up my actual Linux skills so I am yet even more attractive. However, to be perfectly honest, I have no inclinations where any kind of coding are concerned (scripting is a form of coding) so those are simply not jobs I'll probably ever be competent or qualified to hold. However, I'm tired of being on the front lines anyhow. I'd rather go into management because, as I see it, if I'm going to be given responsibilities, I want some authority to go along with it.