PDA

View Full Version : A PPA for webkitkde?

Ranax
August 13th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I am trying the Webkit backend for Konqueror and generally it works great, except for that it renders some pages like Google searches in a minute font. This appears to be a bug with the webkitkde package that Jaunty has in the repo, so can someone please point me to the appropriate PPA so I can update?

Ranax
August 13th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Bump.

loell
August 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
probably install kde 4.3 PPA , which may have the latest konqueror?

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/08/install-kde-43-in-ubuntu-jaunty-904.html

Ranax
August 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM
probably install kde 4.3 PPA , which may have the latest konqueror?

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/08/install-kde-43-in-ubuntu-jaunty-904.html

Yes I am running 4.3 already :)

The problem is that the webkitkde backend in the repos is an early alpha.

Starlight
August 13th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I'm curious, how did you enable webkit in Konqueror? I've installed all the webkit KDE packages, but I can't find any options related to it in Konqueror :(

Ranax
August 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I'm curious, how did you enable webkit in Konqueror? I've installed all the webkit KDE packages, but I can't find any options related to it in Konqueror :(

Search for webkitkde in KPackageKit and install it. Then open up Konqueror and goto View >> View More >> Webkit.

Starlight
August 13th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Search for webkitkde in KPackageKit and install it. Then open up Konqueror and goto View >> View More >> Webkit.

Thanks for the reply! But it's strange, I installed that package, but there's no "View More" in my Konqueror :( I have KDE 4.3

EDIT: It's ok now, I had to restart KDE and now it's there :)

Ranax
August 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the reply! But it's strange, I installed that package, but there's no "View More" in my Konqueror :( I have KDE 4.3

EDIT: It's ok now, I had to restart KDE and now it's there :)

I didn't have to restart KDE for it to appear :confused:

Are you using 4.2 or 4.3?

Starlight
August 13th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I didn't have to restart KDE for it to appear :confused:

Are you using 4.2 or 4.3?
I'm using KDE 4.3 :)

It seems that it wasn't restarting KDE that helped, but going to a different website. For some reason, that option in the menu doesn't appear when I'm looking at the default home page.

Ranax
August 13th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I'm using KDE 4.3 :)

It seems that it wasn't restarting KDE that helped, but going to a different website. For some reason, that option in the menu doesn't appear when I'm looking at the default home page.

I see :D

But it still has this issue....

.::KHTML::.
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4580/snapshot31.png

.::Webkit::.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8999/snapshot30.png

:(

Starlight
August 13th, 2009, 10:50 PM
It's like that on my computer too, but I don't really mind it. :) However, Konqueror seems to switch back to KHTML every time I go to a different website. And with Webkit enabled, it crashes with a segfault quite often. :(

Ranax
August 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM
It's like that on my computer too, but I don't really mind it. :) However, Konqueror seems to switch back to KHTML every time I go to a different website. And with Webkit enabled, it crashes with a segfault quite often. :(

That's why I'm trying to find a more up to date version from a PPA! :P

Starlight
August 13th, 2009, 10:54 PM
That's why I'm trying to find a more up to date version from a PPA! :P
Maybe there's no newer version yet :P

Ranax
August 13th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Maybe there's no newer version yet :P

Don't say that! :(

Starlight
August 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Don't say that! :(

Well, I hope they are working on it so that it gets better soon. :) It would be good to have a good KDE browser. I love KDE 4.3, but unfortunately the best browsers at the moment are GTK ones, like Firefox and Chromium. It would be nice to have a really good KDE browser. Konqueror is still rather behind these two, but it's getting better and better. Arora also looks promising, but it's still a very early version, without many features...

sertse
August 14th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Opera 10 Beta, Qt4 version.

It's a full featured proper web browser and integrates with Qt4 (which Kde also uses) nicely.

Ranax
August 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM

It's a full featured proper web browser and integrates with Qt4 (which Kde also uses) nicely.

I have already tried it and it didn't work very well, infact I found it worse than Konqueror.

Changturkey
August 14th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I really hope KDE devs give Konqueror some attention for 4.4.

Skripka
August 14th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I really hope KDE devs give Konqueror some attention for 4.4.

They really just need to drop KHTML and use Webkit as the default backend...MOST of Konqueror's web-browsing problems come from the continued default KHTML.

Starlight
August 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM

I agree, Opera 10 Qt4 version is very good, I use it sometimes. :) But its KDE integration isn't very good. It ignores KDE's color scheme (like the menu bar and selection colors) and its Qt Native skin is unusable and full of weird glitches (the default Opera skin is really good, but it would be nice to be able to make Opera look like other KDE applications). And Opera's file dialogs are different than KDE file dialogs. They have less features, and more bugs (I was just trying to import Firefox's bookmarks to Opera from a HTML file, and Opera's file selection dialog showed the directory with that file as empty, even though that file was there, and the file dialog was set to look for HTML files. What's interesting, when I manually entered "bookmarks.html" in that file dialog, it imported all the bookmarks correctly).

They really just need to drop KHTML and use Webkit as the default backend...MOST of Konqueror's web-browsing problems come from the continued default KHTML.

That would be cool :) Some other good things for Konqueror would be to have something like Firefox's Awesomebar, and to fix favicons in bookmarks (in bookmarks imported from Firefox, all their icons are generic HTML icons instead of each site's favicon, even after I open that site).

Ranax
August 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
That would be cool :) Some other good things for Konqueror would be to have something like Firefox's Awesomebar, and to fix favicons in bookmarks (in bookmarks imported from Firefox, all their icons are generic HTML icons instead of each site's favicon, even after I open that site).

Agreed. :P

dlenmn
October 10th, 2009, 03:45 AM
can someone please point me to the appropriate PPA so I can update?

There may have been some updates to the webkitkde package since this was posted, but -- for my own amusment -- I've made a package for karmic from the latest source and put it in my PPA (https://launchpad.net/~leon-n-maurer/+archive/ppa). This is the first time I've made a package, and I don't know the state of the source code (I am in no way associated with the development of the WebKit KPart), so there's the off chance that installing this package will blow up Pittsburgh. However, I followed the instructions (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete) and the package works on my computer. If there's interest, I can keep this package up to date since no one close to the project is regularly providing new packages.