PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what is wrong with my updates?

clinc
August 13th, 2009, 01:18 AM
For some reason, I am not able to install updates now.

please help!!!

the system updater error message states:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I have changed nothing recently, and I have been able to update this computer successfully since I first installed 9.0.4.

Any thoughts?

raymondh
August 13th, 2009, 01:20 AM
For some reason, I am not able to install updates now.

please help!!!

the system updater error message states:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I have changed nothing recently, and I have been able to update this computer successfully since I first installed 9.0.4.

Any thoughts?

As it says, type in terminal (applications > accessories)

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Then continue with the update

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Your update was interrupted, somehow.

clinc
August 13th, 2009, 01:45 AM
when I type "sudo dpkg --configure -a" it basically freezes the functionality of my computer. All other things happening concurrently all seem to choke.

What could be making this happen?

raymondh
August 13th, 2009, 01:54 AM
when I type "sudo dpkg --configure -a" it basically freezes the functionality of my computer. All other things happening concurrently all seem to choke.

What could be making this happen?

Are you running only the terminal? Or do you have synaptic and/or add/remove open as well? Only run one (1) manager.

clinc
August 13th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I am running in terminal. My terminal then states what I believe it is referring to as an open office package and all other functions of my computer freeze. I can still move the mouse around, but I can't access any of my other open windows of applications. I let this run over-night last night, and nothing changed.

this is really frustrating. It looks as if the installer is going to begin working, since it asks for my password. Then, everything locks up.

raymondh
August 13th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I am running in terminal. My terminal then states what I believe it is referring to as an open office package and all other functions of my computer freeze. I can still move the mouse around, but I can't access any of my other open windows of applications. I let this run over-night last night, and nothing changed.

this is really frustrating. It looks as if the installer is going to begin working, since it asks for my password. Then, everything locks up.

Back up your files.

Does it (lock-up) also happen when you just have the terminal .. and all other apps/programs are closed?

What version open office? I seem to recall a number of posts in the forum about open office and that it seems to be better using the 'sun' version.

Do you want to try to un-install open office and install again? You can use synaptic for that by marking for removal all open office. make sure your OO files are backed up elsewhere.