PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Making a partition for windows in Ubuntu 9.04

wiquiwaqui
August 13th, 2009, 12:03 AM
How do I set up a partition for windows XP with ubuntu 9.04 installed already? Will all my files get deleted? Do I use Gparted? Sorry im a noob.

jmac0101
August 13th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I am also kind of a noob, but I would use Gparted to resize the current partition and place the windows OS on the space you carved out. One thing that might become a problem is that windows might want to start automatically without giving Ubuntu a chance. I ran into this problem before and have always found it easier to install windows first and then Ubuntu (this way the grub bootloader will give you the option of which OS to start in).

I use Ubuntu for all my computing needs, but often for work and school I am forced to use windows (or at least windows products). I chose not to dual boot, instead I use virtual box and install and run windows while still using my Ubuntu.

Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGI5lOOqMEA&feature=player_embedded

pizza-is-good
August 13th, 2009, 12:19 AM
How do I set up a partition for windows XP with ubuntu 9.04 installed already? Will all my files get deleted? Do I use Gparted? Sorry im a noob.

It's no problem that you are new.

Please give more info on your system. Dual boot? Partitions? Partitions' sizes? All that you can provide. Then it will be easier to help.

Bachstelze
August 13th, 2009, 12:20 AM
It's true that the Windows installer will overwrite GRUB without asking you anything. However, it is possible to reinstall GRUB without reinstalling Ubuntu altogether:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

jmac0101
August 13th, 2009, 12:24 AM
It's true that the Windows installer will overwrite GRUB without asking you anything. However, it is possible to reinstall GRUB without reinstalling Ubuntu altogether:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Cool! thanks for the info.

wiquiwaqui
August 13th, 2009, 12:53 AM
My system is an HP dv1000 and when I run GParted it seems that the only thing I can do is make a partition table which would erase everything.

On GParted i think it says that I have 3 partitions???
Partition File System Size Used Unused Flags
/dev/sda1 ext3 91.76gb 16.76gb 75.99gb boot
/dev/sda2 extended 1.39 ---- -----
/dev/sda5 linux-swap 1.39

pizza-is-good
August 13th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Gparted can only work on unmounted partitions, so whatever you do you need to do it through a liveCD.
Then shrink your current partiton, and format the rest as NTFS. Then you should be able to install Windows.

Arand
August 13th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I seem to recall something about XP stubbornly having to be installed on the first partition, so you might want to take that into consideration when repartitioning.

- Arand

raymondh
August 13th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I seem to recall something about XP stubbornly having to be installed on the first partition, so you might want to take that into consideration when repartitioning.

- Arand

You can always trick windows into thinking it is "first" by editing in the menu.lst.

Herman's site (http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html) on GRUB has a lot of tips, mapping, included.

Happy Ubuntu-ing.

Bartender
August 13th, 2009, 04:06 AM
How tough would it be to just reinstall Ubuntu? Copy your personal data off to some external storage, make a few notes about what you've installed, and wipe it? You may find that much easier than trying to swim upstream by installing Windows after Ubuntu.

If you take the well-trodden path...

1) Download and burn to .iso the latest stable version of GPartedLiveCD (GPLCD).
2) Set the PC to boot from optical and see if the GPLCD disc boots up and shows you your partitions.
3) Using GPLCD, wipe all partitions. Each time you give GPLCD a task, apply that task.
4) Create a primary NTFS partition for Windows. Apply.
5) Create an extended partition from the rest of the space. At this point you could set up your Linux partitions if you wanted, but you don't have to. You can just leave the space inside the extended partition unformatted.

Install Windows. The Windows disc will only see the NTFS partition, leaving the rest of the HDD alone.

Pop in your Ubuntu CD. The simplest method would be to let it detect and install to the "largest free space", although you could also go manual and set up /, /home, and swap partitions if you felt like it.

Arand
August 13th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I would say that doing a wipe-reinstall is an unnecessary hassle in this case. It might be slightly simpler, but will most likely take much longer, whilst in the end achieving the same result.
- Arand

Mark Phelps
August 13th, 2009, 01:11 PM
+1 on the GParted LiveCD.

You can always get the latest version at distrowatch.com.

You can also download and burn Parted Magic. Has much the same utilities but there have been cases where parted magic worked when GParted did not.

vegesm
August 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Before installing XP set the linux partition hidden in GParted. Then XP name his partition as C:. It's good because some programs automatically install themselves at C: (and in XP you can't change the name of the drives). After installation delete the hidden flag from the linux partition.

charles.e.murray
August 13th, 2009, 01:15 PM
It might be wothwhile looking at this website if you want a dual boot with windows and ubuntu http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm

wiquiwaqui
August 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I keep trying to install XP but it keeps saying set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. What should I do now?

Arand
August 15th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Just a hunch: It may be that the drive is using AHCI (see http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/10/23/windows-xp-setup-could-not-detect-and-find-any-sata-hard-disk-drive-on-ahci-mode/ )

In that case, you might be able to just disable it through the BIOS, although I don't know if that will mess with ubuntu. Or you could look about for guides on how to get the proper drivers for the XP installer to handle AHCI.

- Arand