PDA

View Full Version : why 64 and why shiretoko?

piratemurray
August 12th, 2009, 10:47 PM
A combination of a 64 bit build of Ubuntu, the reluctance of Jaunty to replace Firefox 3 with 3.5 as the default browser and the 64 bit flash 10 have driven me to install a 32 bit build of Firefox onto my 64 bit machine. It means I can run flash 10 32 bit natively (i.e. without ndiswrapper) and without glitches and that my internet bank now recognises Firefox 3.5 instead of Shiretoko which it blocks access to.

Thanks to Ubuntuzilla I am now running a fantastically more stable internet browser which seems quicker too!

For some barmy reason the powers that be over at Ubuntu central have decided not to call the latest update for Firefox by its actual name instead by a stupid code name Shiretoko. This means that my online banking service doesn't recognise it as a standard browser. I'm sure you can hack it to display the word Firefox but to me Ubuntu have broken Firefox. I want to have the latest version of my favourite internet browser and I want to continue using my online bank. Ubuntu have messed that up. However the community comes to the rescue with Ubuntuzilla. It is a script that downloads the 32 bit version directly from Mozilla and customises almost like the Ubuntu build but better it seems.

An added benefit to this 32 bit build is that I can use the 32 bit Flash 10 that doesn't break Firefox like the 64 bit version did. Now the internet is back in my hands! No more freak site crashes!

So my question is why should I bother with the 64 bit build? Or the Ubuntu build for that matter. They are less compatible and slower and less stable. I can run the 32 bit quite happily on my 64 bit machine.

Why 64/ Shiretoko?

louieb
August 12th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Probably for the same reason they put in my pet peeves of Jaunty. Disabling ctrl+alt+backspace to kill X. (there is a workaround). and making me press the alt key when I want to drag a panel somewhere else.

Probably discussed and the developers felt this was the best way to fit the Ubuntu development model.

This would make a good Cafe thread. Why don't you report it and get it moved?

quazi
August 13th, 2009, 12:54 AM
A combination of a 64 bit build of Ubuntu, the reluctance of Jaunty to replace Firefox 3 with 3.5 as the default browser and the 64 bit flash 10 have driven me to install a 32 bit build of Firefox onto my 64 bit machine. It means I can run flash 10 32 bit natively (i.e. without ndiswrapper) and without glitches and that my internet bank now recognises Firefox 3.5 instead of Shiretoko which it blocks access to.

Thanks to Ubuntuzilla I am now running a fantastically more stable internet browser which seems quicker too!

For some barmy reason the powers that be over at Ubuntu central have decided not to call the latest update for Firefox by its actual name instead by a stupid code name Shiretoko. This means that my online banking service doesn't recognise it as a standard browser. I'm sure you can hack it to display the word Firefox but to me Ubuntu have broken Firefox. I want to have the latest version of my favourite internet browser and I want to continue using my online bank. Ubuntu have messed that up. However the community comes to the rescue with Ubuntuzilla. It is a script that downloads the 32 bit version directly from Mozilla and customises almost like the Ubuntu build but better it seems.

An added benefit to this 32 bit build is that I can use the 32 bit Flash 10 that doesn't break Firefox like the 64 bit version did. Now the internet is back in my hands! No more freak site crashes!

So my question is why should I bother with the 64 bit build? Or the Ubuntu build for that matter. They are less compatible and slower and less stable. I can run the 32 bit quite happily on my 64 bit machine.

Why 64/ Shiretoko?

If you're considering 64-bit Firefox 3.5, keep in mind that the biggest part of 3.5, tracemonkey support, is not included in the 64-bit version.

It's pretty moronic. As as a result, I'm currently using Chromium+32bit flash.

piratemurray
August 14th, 2009, 06:40 AM
This would make a good Cafe thread. Why don't you report it and get it moved?

I'm a noob with ubuntu and forums in general. How would one do this?

gletob
August 14th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Why 64/ Shiretoko?

Umm I run 64 bit flash native. I have no problems with Shiretoko.

And it's not just some stupid name, do your research. It was the development name of Firfox 3.5 created by the Mozilla Team

Why should I care if you bother with the 64 bit build. No one is shoving it down your throught. I run 64 for faster video/audio editing and to utilize 4 GiB of DDR2.

And further more if you would like to go ahead and make your own distro and maintain your own repos, you can name anything whatever you want.

As stated before no one is forcing you to use 64 bit but it is inevitable that some day 32 bit support will be droped.

bboston7
August 14th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I run 3.6 alpha with the native 64 plugin and it works great.

piratemurray
August 14th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Umm I run 64 bit flash native. I have no problems with Shiretoko.

And it's not just some stupid name, do your research. It was the development name of Firfox 3.5 created by the Mozilla Team

Why should I care if you bother with the 64 bit build. No one is shoving it down your throught. I run 64 for faster video/audio editing and to utilize 4 GiB of DDR2.

And further more if you would like to go ahead and make your own distro and maintain your own repos, you can name anything whatever you want.

As stated before no one is forcing you to use 64 bit but it is inevitable that some day 32 bit support will be droped.

Woah woah woah woah. What's with all the hostility?

I love Ubuntu and I love firefox and all my other programs are 64 bit up to date builds.

I have done my research and I know what shiretoko is and why it is still named like this. The problem I am experiencing is my online bank doesn't recognise it as a supported browser. Do you want me to change my bank's security policy? I didn't think so.

By providing a package in the Ubuntu repositories that still uses the code name shiretoko, the Ubuntu admins have effectively said to me, "you can use your online bank and an up to date version of firefox..... but not at the same time". Where does that fit in with the philosophy of, "it just works!"?

Secondly, I have an AMD64 processor (an old one) and the 64 bit flash 10 plugin crashes firefox on certain sites because it seg faults in the processor (a laff instruction?). See I did my research there too! The 32 flash 10 doesn't AND it works well on my system without any wrappers.

So really, why would I use the 64 bit builds of anything really? This is a genuine question, since I don't really know. I don't do intensive graphics/ video editing and if anything the 32 bit builds seem to run faster and are more stable. I don't know why this PC has a 64 bit processor, I just purchased it like that.

As a convert from Windows, the biggest issue I have with Ubuntu (and Linux) is that it doesn't "just work". Its easy enough to get sorted, but you have to invest some time and effort which a lot of people don't want to do. I'm still new to Linux and I love it. I can't imagine switching back. However, were I not so inclined to try out new software and technologies I'm not so sure I would feel the same.

How much effort/ knowledge do you need to start your own distribution? It is likely more knowledge than I have. So I'd reject your suggest to start my own brand of Linux. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Its not all doom and gloom. As I've said, I am absolutely enamoured by Ubuntu/ Linux/ OSS and am trying to get my company to make the switch.

gn2
August 14th, 2009, 10:10 AM
~ I have an AMD64 processor (an old one) and the 64 bit flash 10 plugin crashes firefox on certain sites because it seg faults in the processor (a laff instruction?). ~

So buy a new one, they're dirt cheap now.

piratemurray
August 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM
So buy a new one, they're dirt cheap now.

Are you going to buy one for me? :P

aphirst
August 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Surely all you have to do to make your Bank's online service recognise Shiretoko is to change the key general.useragent.extra.firefox from Shiretoko/3.5 to Firefox/3.5 in about:config...

Eisenwinter
August 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Surely all you have to do to make your Bank's online service recognise Shiretoko is to change the key general.useragent.extra.firefox from Shiretoko/3.5 to Firefox/3.5 in about:config...
And with that, ladies and gentlemen, the thread seems to have reached its end.

piratemurray
August 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for that! I'll remember when I next install something that my bank doesn't recognise. Cheers. These forums are a really good way to learn things like this!

t0p
August 14th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I have done my research and I know what shiretoko is and why it is still named like this. The problem I am experiencing is my online bank doesn't recognise it as a supported browser. Do you want me to change my bank's security policy? I didn't think so.

Have you tried using the User Agent Switcher add-on? I think it will enable you to identify your browser to your bank as whatever you want.

As a convert from Windows, the biggest issue I have with Ubuntu (and Linux) is that it doesn't "just work". Its easy enough to get sorted, but you have to invest some time and effort which a lot of people don't want to do. I'm still new to Linux and I love it. I can't imagine switching back. However, were I not so inclined to try out new software and technologies I'm not so sure I would feel the same.

I love hacking my computers to do what I want them to do. But I know there are computer users who don't want to do such stuff, and that may dissuade them from using Linux. Still, I don't think you need to do much of anything to your Ubuntu install if you want to do just the Big Three (web browsing, email, instant messaging).

gn2
August 14th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Are you going to buy one for me? :P

Yeah sure, just PM me your bank details, social security number, mother's maiden name etc and I'll lodge the funds in your account :lolflag:

forrestcupp
August 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM
A combination of a 64 bit build of Ubuntu, the reluctance of Jaunty to replace Firefox 3 with 3.5 as the default browser and the 64 bit flash 10 have driven me to install a 32 bit build of Firefox onto my 64 bit machine.As for the reluctance to replace Firefox 3 with 3.5, I don't think 3.5 was released yet when Jaunty was released, was it? That's how Ubuntu works. Once a version of Ubuntu hits the feature freeze stage, they don't keep updating their repos with new versions of everything; they only do things like security bug fixes. The best way to get updates faster than waiting on a new version of Ubuntu is to enable your Proposed & Backports repos under the Updates tab. It's beneficial, but there are stability dangers with doing that.

Yeah sure, just PM me your bank details, social security number, mother's maiden name etc and I'll lodge the funds in your account :lolflag:Done! I'll be waiting. ;)