PDA

View Full Version : Totally [OT] - Pronounce for non-native English speakers

Luke771
January 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM
[OT] I'm having a discussion with a guy here, we agree about pronouncing linux as "leenux" (that's how Linus himself says it) and ubuntu as ooboontoo but it gets kinda difficult when it comes to "routers": he says "roo-ter" and I say "r-aw-ter" (like "ou" in "out"). I learned English by travelling and he learned it in school, but neither of us remembers about talking "routers" with some native English speaker.
He says that "rooter" sounds correct to him and I keep saying that "raw'ter" sounds correct to me, now what do you guys think, who is right?
(same thing about "pronounce", now: he says almost "pro-noons" and I more like "pro-nawns")

tseliot
January 31st, 2006, 12:19 PM
[OT] I'm having a discussion with a guy here, we agree about pronouncing linux as "leenux" and ubuntu as ooboontoo (that's how Linus himself says "The Word") but it gets kinda difficult when it comes to "routers": he says "roo-ter" and I say "r-aw-ter" (like "ou" in "out"). I learned English by travelling and he learned it in school, but neither of us remembers about talking "routers" with some native English speaker.
He says that "rooter" sounds correct to him and I keep saying that "raw'ter" sounds correct to me, now what do you guys think, who is right?
(same thing about "pronounce", now: he says almost "pro-noons" and I more like "pro-nawns")
It should be "roo-ter" but if you look up the word you will find "rauter" as well (only in the US).
I'm not a native speaker (but I got my degree in Foreign Languages).

BTW I use "roo-ter".

Luke771
January 31st, 2006, 12:43 PM
*everybody* say rooter in Italy but in Sweden they say rawter, and I dont remember how they say in England because when I was there last time I didnt do computers yet.
Same problem with me and this friend of mine: he *dis* study English and I did not, but I travelled a whole lot more and I am the one that speaks fluently, even if he is better at writing, but again, rawter sounds right to me, and rooter sounds right to him.
The dictionary says they are both correct.
grazzie paisano

Viro
January 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM
It's rooter in the UK at least it is down south in Oxford. You'll never know how those crazy northerners may pronounce it :).

I call Linux lee-nux, because in Finland, Linux is pronounced as Leenus. Of course, in the UK Linus is pronounced as Lye-nus (as in goodbye) so you can understand why many in the UK call it Lye-nux.

Titus A Duxass
January 31st, 2006, 12:49 PM
In UK it is rooter, a rowter (r-aw-ter) is used in carpentry .
Us crazy northerners us the same as the shandy drinking southerners:-)

tseliot
January 31st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Di niente.
BTW I looked it up in "Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary"

Luke771
January 31st, 2006, 12:51 PM
I guess it's rooter than.
About linux, I say leenux because Linus Torwalds pronounces it that way, and he invented the stuff. End of discussion, if in the UK someone says laynux, well they say wrong.
And by the way, I found on the Internet a "you could be a nerd if..." list, and one of the points was "you engage in discussion about the correct pronounce of 'linux' "

mips
January 31st, 2006, 02:37 PM
If you speak english (the queens language) then generally it is roo-ter.

If you speak american/yankee (or whatever they call it over there) then it is raw-ter. Keep in mind that americans have there own spelling or lack of it as well ;) almost like a C & C++ thingy :)

I would consider UK/British/Pommy english the standard (Why? It originated there!) and therefore roo-ter should be the international pronounciation.

xequence
January 31st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Router : Row-ter
Linux : Lin-ux
Ubuntu : Uuu-buun-tuu

ice60
January 31st, 2006, 07:10 PM
i live in London, i normally pronounce things the English way but with the word router i can't bring myself to say "rooter" it just sounds so stupid. lol

i had a computer teacher who use to go crazy everytime i said router, he'd say carpenters use routers - networks use "rooters" lol. it's a nightmare when i go to a shop and have to say router - no matter which way i pronounce it i feel stupid - one sounds ridiculous and the other is mispronounced :rolleyes: probably best to pronounce it like this - "hardware firewall" if your talking about the one on your desk :D

imagine
January 31st, 2006, 08:29 PM
In Germany usually "rooter" is used, except by people who spent a long time in the USA.

The first time I heard someone talking about a "rawter" it took me some minutes to understand what he was on about.

mips
January 31st, 2006, 10:32 PM
i had a computer teacher who use to go crazy everytime i said router, he'd say carpenters use routers - networks use "rooters" lol.

lol, i have to agree with your teacher, routers are for carpenters.

Puptentacle
January 31st, 2006, 10:57 PM
Interesting stuff (Yes, I am a Geek!)

Being from the Southern part of the US orginally, we pronounce everything wrong anyway. I recently changed the way I say "gnu" to "Guh-Noo" because I had not clue. This also changed "Nome" to "Guh-Nome".
I am trying to get my mouth around "Lee-nucks" because that is how Torvalds pronounces it.

As far as "rooter" and "rowter" go, I pronounce it "rowter". I can see the arguement for "rooter" because "route" can be pronounced either way but my southernism comes into play on this one. Maybe I'll go the other way after I finally get "lee-nucks"!

Now for an really OT one..."Awnt" or "Ant" for the word "aunt"?

mips
February 1st, 2006, 12:34 AM
Awnt

Bundu_Ubuntu
February 1st, 2006, 03:31 AM
Now that you can say Ubuntu, how about Bundu -Boon-doo ! - Colloquial word in Africa for the Bush, origin - Boondocks !

I grew up speaking (and spelling) the Queens English, having lived in the USA for seven years I now speak and spell American.

Depending on where you live in the states, some people say root or rowt for route. They all however call a Rooter a Rowter - root or rooting has to the American mind something to do with sex, which is why our American friends here find it hard to say Rooter.

A Rowter is for wood working, my only question has always been - why spell the damn thing the same way as a Router ! Then there would be no confusion.

Other American funnies - They don't wear Jersey's they wear Sweaters and a Track Suit are 'Sweats' - A jersey is the thing American Footballers wear - those guys who play handball gridiron - ! Soccer is Football ! .... It's just not Cricket !

A Dungaree is called an Overall, I don't even know what an overall in the US is called, A dummy is a pacifier, a rubber an eraser, a nappy a diaper

No wonder the poor folks over here just looked at me in confusion - isn't it hilarious having to watch British Shows in the US with subtitles.

Oh yeah I think an overall is a jumpsuit - and a jumpsuit to my mind is that all in one outfit toddlers wear.

Next we should discuss how the English slaughter the Spanish language - my little brother still likes to eat tortillers and fageetas ! :rolleyes:

Linux here is Lyn-ix ...... and for me it is Awnt !

endersshadow
February 1st, 2006, 04:53 AM
Router is rowter.
Linux is lin-ex.
Gnome is guh-nome.
Gnu is guh-new.
Ubuntu is oo-boon-too.
Kubuntu is koo-boon-too.
Xubuntu is zoo-boon-too.

And that's how we say things in the Northeast US of A, or at least that's how they're pronounced at LinuxWorld in Boston :-D

Actually, in Boston, it's "row-tah" :lol:

geekphreak
February 1st, 2006, 05:32 AM
I heard router pronounced as rooter and I thought it was funny at first, but then I realized that it is pronounced that way in a lot o fcountries in Europe. I guess that it sounds more British to me, but I am not an expert on this. I am used to r-aw-ter.

polo_step
February 1st, 2006, 07:17 AM
Router is pronounced like the cabinetmaker's power tool of the same name. In the US, a "rooter" is a device that cleans impacted filth out blocked sewer pipes ("drains" in the UK) -- which may explain why in nearly twenty-five years of working here in the heart of the computer industry, I have *never* heard router pronounced that way.;)

Linux with a short "i"...the G in gnome is correctly silent in English, as it is in gnu...

Viro
February 1st, 2006, 08:15 AM
In UK it is rooter, a rowter (r-aw-ter) is used in carpentry .
Us crazy northerners us the same as the shandy drinking southerners:-)

We don't drink shandy. We drink Pimms :D

mips
February 1st, 2006, 10:03 AM
Hehe, then they go and say pop the hood or open the trunk. hood=bonnet & trunk=big chest like suitcasey hting.

Transmission=Gearbox
Manual=Stick shift
Indicator=Turn Signal
Exhaust=Tail pipe
Cubbyhole=Glove compartment
Petrol=Gas (Really, how can it be gas, it's in liquid form ??)
wheel spanner= lugwrench or tire iron (Tyre iron is usualy use to remove the tyre (rubber part) from the rim/wheel (metal part)

"Waiter, check please". Firstly that should be spelled cheque and secondly a cheque is usuall a form of payment. You should ask for the bill or invoice etc.

Jason_25
February 1st, 2006, 10:26 AM
Manual=Stick shift
Indicator=Turn Signal
Exhaust=Tail pipe

Both terms for these are widely accepted in the states.

Petrol=Gas (Really, how can it be gas, it's in liquid form ??)

Short for gasoline.