PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Set Color Depth to 16-Bit

Redmage913
August 12th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Greetings,

I'm trying to decrease the color depth to 16-bit in an attempt to increase the efficiency of one of my wine programs (Starcraft).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have little experience with Xubuntu (running 9.04), and have no idea where to look to change this setting.

Thanks,
Redmage913

Diabolis
August 14th, 2009, 03:06 AM
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In the section "Screen" add the line DefaultDepth 16 so it will look similar to this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 16
EndSection

Then restart the xserver by loging out and then loging in.

Redmage913
August 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
When I type in the gksudo command, the terminal sits for a few seconds, then it displays another prompt. nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

--Red

4Orbs
August 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Since you are using xfce, your text editor is probably mousepad rather than gedit. Just replace gedit with mousepad in the above command.

Redmage913
August 16th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Thank you much!

Quick question though - is gksudo different than sudo? This is the first time someone suggested to me to use the gksudo command.

I just made the edits, and will be restarting the computer to see if it took effect. Is there any way of verifying that it is indeed 16-bit?

--Red

stwschool
August 16th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Gksudo just makes that graphical prompt for your password come up where sudo asks for it in the terminal. Other than that it's the same.

Redmage913
August 16th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Also, if I want to change back to true color, should i set the color depth to 24 or 32? I've read they're virtually the same thing and the last 8 bits are empty or something like that...it was in technical-ese so I didn't quite understand it

4Orbs
August 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Use gksudo when you need admin access to an app with a gui. Use sudo when you are using only the terminal. Once you are using the 16 bit depth, it should be obvious because the colors will be greatly reduced. The desktop won't look as sharp and as nicely colored as it does with 24 bit.

Redmage913
August 16th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Well, if that's the case, I am unsure if it worked. The desktop looks the same to me, along with firefox. I checked my favorite webcomic (PLUG: Questionable Content), and it still looks the same.

Here is the xorg.conf file where I edited:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 16
EndSection

Shig
August 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Running the following command in a terminal is a good way to see what BPP your display is running at:

xdpyinfo | grep "of root"

The grep "of root" bit simply filters the output of the command, you can run xdpyinfo by itself to get a lot more information if you wish.

Redmage913
August 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
matthew@handy-dandy-notebook:~$ xdpyinfo | grep "of root"
depth of root window: 16 planes
matthew@handy-dandy-notebook:~$

success?

Shig
August 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
success?
Success!

Redmage913
August 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
success.

okay, to set it back to default, plug in 24 or 32 for the color depth in xorg.conf?

4Orbs
August 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM
EDIT: Disregard this post due to slow typing and lack of expertise.

I guess my method of verification was a bit crude and subjective. There probably is a command you can enter in a terminal to verify the change to 16 bit, but I don't know what it would be. If you are using an nVidia proprietary driver, you can open the nVidia Display Settings Mgr and look under Monitor 0 and it will show the color depth (but it pulls that info from the xorg.conf, so I don't know if that would be legitimate verification). Eventually, one of the forum's Ubu-gurus should post a satisfactory answer for you.

Redmage913
August 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I found a way to check your color settings with this website:

http://www.cywarp.com/faqtruecolortest.htm

Thanks for all your help, fellow geeks.

4Orbs
August 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Does your video game run better now?

Redmage913
August 16th, 2009, 04:17 PM
it's better - a little choppy, but muuuch better than before. you'd think starcraft could be emulated on a modern laptop (dell mini 9)....*shrug* i'm just glad it works. i wasn't looking forward to having to install windows *just* to play it.

4Orbs
August 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I don't know if this would apply to Starcraft, but when I play Diablo2 on my old computer, I set it to run in 2D rather than 3D and it performs as well as it does on Win XP. Actually, it performs better than 3D on XP. It runs flawlessly in wine at 2D. The lack of 3D is a minor sacrifice when weighed against the performance increase.

theo77
November 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Hi! I would like to do the same, but i do not have this xorg.conf file. I need the 16 bit color depth on my eee pc, since I experienced with windows that this way the battery time is ca 30 percent longer. Now I'm a satisfied Ubuntu 10.4. user. But still it can be better :) and longer :D
Any idea?