PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How create a Launcher from the command line

nbrinson
August 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I need to write a script that will create several desktop launchers so our user don't have to create them manually. Is there a command to do this?

warp99
August 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Long story short, no command to do this. But you can make a simple script that can do this using a *.desktop file layout. What exactly do you want your users to do?

nbrinson
August 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to create a script that will place the following luancher on the desktop of several computers....

The launcher should point to this command: /usr/bin/ibm5250 as400.mydomain.com -sso
and it will have this icon: /usr/share/pixmaps/tn5250-48x48.png

I have several other launchers that I'd like to add as well.

VCoolio
August 12th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Just make the .desktop files in a text editor and copy them to the users desktops, wouldn't that be easier? The .desktop files are like this (there are more options, but this should do:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Whatever name you want
Comment=Whatever comment you want in the tooltip
Exec=/usr/bin/ibm5250 as400.mydomain.com -sso
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/tn5250-48x48.png

You can also place the launcher in ~/.local/share/applications, add a line like "Categories=Office;" and it will show up in the applications menu under 'Office' (after restarting the gnome-panel).

warp99
August 13th, 2009, 02:20 AM
VCoolio is correct. If you have the computers networked users can drop and drag the desktop launchers from the remote share, which would be much easier then a script.

nbrinson
August 13th, 2009, 02:00 PM
That'll work... Thank you!