PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Difficulty removing wubi

triplesick
August 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Due to difficulties with the partitioner using the standard Ubuntu 9.04 CD, I chose to "install inside windows." Later I was able to partition my drive manually and install Ubuntu properly, and wanted to remove the wubi installation, as I believe it is called. I went to add/remove programs, and after 2-3 seconds, it said it was done, and indeed I had my hard drive space back.

But when I start up my computer, after the initial boot menu (Linux partition vs. Windows partition), if I choose to boot to Windows, I still get the wubi boot menu (windows vs. ubuntu). How can I completely get rid of the wubi installation? An automated process would be ideal, as I am an absolute beginner with Linux.

EDIT: I only have one hard drive.

raymondh
August 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
If you're running XP ... and from the wubi guide (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%20do%20I%20manually%20uninstall%20Wu bi?) ... you'll have to manually delete the WUBI (JUST THE WUBI!) from the boot.ini file.

Remember, just the WUBI/UBUNTU related line. Also, do back up your files :)

triplesick
August 13th, 2009, 02:08 AM
So I deleted the boot.ini file like you told me to, but now I can't get Windows to boot at all. No Windows, no nothing. Just kidding. Thanks, it worked great.

raymondh
August 13th, 2009, 02:17 AM
So I deleted the boot.ini file like you told me to, but now I can't get Windows to boot at all. No Windows, no nothing. Just kidding. Thanks, it worked great.

Notice the underlined and double warnings? (Just kidding as well .... )

Excellent news. Happy Ubuntu-ing :)