PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Installed WL driver, unable to conect with wep?

BigCityCat
August 12th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I'm really new to this but I have manged to get the wireless to show up after restart. I just can't get it to connect. It keeps asking for wep key over and over and then fails. Here are my outputs.

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11 Nickname:""
Access Point: Not-Associated

pan0 no wireless extensions.

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: MCP67 Ethernet
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: a
bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
logical name: eth0
version: a2
serial: 00:1e:68:da:b0:86
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm msi ht bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.61 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.3 latency=0 link=yes maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 module=forcedeth multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth1
version: 03
serial: 00:21:00:47:cb:c1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.10.91.9 latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: de:b4:3e:fd:58:4f
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

ii linux-restricted-modules 2.6.28.14.19 Generic Linux restricted modules.
ii linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-11-generic 2.6.28-11.15 Non-free Linux kernel modules for version 2.
ii linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-14-generic 2.6.28-14.19 Non-free Linux kernel modules for version 2.
ii linux-restricted-modules-common 2.6.28-14.19 Non-free Linux 2.6.28 modules helper script
ii linux-restricted-modules-generic 2.6.28.14.19 Restricted Linux modules for generic kernels

superprash2003
August 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM
post output of sudo iwlist scanning , have you tried various authentication types liek 64bit, 128bit etc

BigCityCat
August 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I recieved two different outputs. The first was while it was scanning and the second when it wasn't.

lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 Failed to read scan data : Invalid argument

lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:1F:B3:73:0E:C1
ESSID:"2WIRE126"
Mode:Managed
Frequency=2.417 GHz (Channel 2)
Quality:1/5 Signal level:-81 dBm Noise level:-90 dBm
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Cell 02 - Address: 00:0F:66:8F:65:A4
ESSID:"linksys"
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality:1/5 Signal level:-81 dBm Noise level:-90 dBm
Encryption key:off
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Cell 03 - Address: 00:1B:2F:5C:AD:96
ESSID:"Wireless"
Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
Quality:5/5 Signal level:-51 dBm Noise level:-90 dBm
Encryption key:on
12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

BigCityCat
August 12th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I only tried wep because that is what I have. It was given to me by the provider.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Also I have tried the fb cutter firmware on both Kubuntu and Ubuntu on this same laptop. It worked in ubuntu and not kubuntu, but I want to make Kubuntu work.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I'm having a conversation with myself. lol

Is there some other resource to fix all the wireless problems that Linux have or is it basically hit or miss?

I have already read through almost everything on this site. You guys who are helping do a service but the magnitude of problems is hard to deal with. I can see that, but all the animosity towards windows with all these problems Linux has seems a little crazy.

chili555
August 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
As long as you have a connection with wired ethernet, which you do, Network Manager and its cousin knetworkmanager will not allow a wireless connection. Please see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7. Especially:
The computer should use the wired network connection when it's plugged in, but automatically switch to a wireless connection when the user unplugs it and walks away from the desk. Likewise, when the user plugs the computer back in, the computer should switch back to the wired connection. The user should, most times, not even notice that their connection has has been managed for them; they should simply see uninterrupted network connectivity.In order to test your connection, you must detach the wire and ideally, issue a command:
sudo ifdown eth0May I assume you are trying to connect to:
Cell 03 - Address: 00:1B:2F:5C:AD:96
ESSID:"Wireless"
Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
Quality:5/5 Signal level:-51 dBm Noise level:-90 dBm
Encryption key:onThat's the only access point I see that is using WEP. Have you double-checked your key? Is it 10 or 26 characters? Are you plugging it in to 'WEP 40/128 bit key?' Have you tried both upper and lower case for any letters in your key, viz:
096C7F280Eand, also:
096c7f280eSorry for the delay in replying.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Chili I can't test this right now cause I was giving Ndiswrapper another shot. I didn't use the ubuntu community instructions the last time and I wanted to try a few drivers. Mostly the one that came directly off the windows partition. Here is the out put from that install. Bear in mind I have blacklisted a few drivers. I realize these are two seperate tasks we are dealing with.

After isntalling driver in ndiswrapper and running

ndiswrapper -l

WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
bcmwl5 : driver installed
device (14E4:4328) present (alternate driver: ssb)

here is my blacklist.conf

[QUOTE]# This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by
# alias expansion, usually so some other driver will be loaded for the
# device instead.

# evbug is a debug tool that should be loaded explicitly
blacklist evbug

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
blacklist usbmouse
blacklist usbkbd

# replaced by e100
blacklist eepro100

# replaced by tulip
blacklist de4x5

# causes no end of confusion by creating unexpected network interfaces
blacklist eth1394

# snd_intel8x0m can interfere with snd_intel8x0, doesn't seem to support much
# hardware on its own (Ubuntu bug #2011, #6810)
blacklist snd_intel8x0m

# Conflicts with dvb driver (which is better for handling this device)
blacklist snd_aw2

# causes failure to suspend on HP compaq nc6000 (Ubuntu: #10306)
blacklist i2c_i801

# replaced by p54pci
blacklist prism54

# replaced by b43 and ssb.
blacklist bcm43xx

# most apps now use garmin usb driver directly (Ubuntu: #114565)
blacklist garmin_gps

# replaced by asus-laptop (Ubuntu: #184721)
blacklist asus_acpi

# low-quality, just noise when being used for sound playback, causes
# hangs at desktop session start (Ubuntu: #246969)
blacklist snd_pcsp

# EDAC driver for amd76x clashes with the agp driver preventing the aperture
# from being initialised (Ubuntu: #297750). Blacklist so that the driver
# continues to build and is installable for the few cases where its
# really needed.
blacklist amd76x_edac
blacklist ssl
blacklist rmmod wl ssl
blacklist b43[/QUO

chili555
August 13th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I believe the last part needs to be as follows:
# really needed.
blacklist amd76x_edac
blacklist ssb
blacklist wl
blacklist b43Also, I notice that, in addtion to a blacklist.conf, you have a separate file, blacklist. Please copy and paste it for me. Thanks.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I have tried several different drivers with ndiswrapper with no success.

It seems either way I try it doesn't work. With the ndiswrapper I can't find a driver that works and when we set it up your way I can see my network but cant connect. I think it has something to do with wep but that key was assigned by my provider and I don't know how to fix or change that security. I heard something about maybe resetting the router and trying to connect during the reset. I don;'t know. Another problem I was having, is when me and you set it up your way my pc won't shut down completely and I was having to pull the plug. I know if it has something to do with what was being blacklisted cause when I removed those additions it shut down properly, but then the wireless would'nt restart.

I have learned a great deal during this process but I am begining to think I am out in the cold with this driver until the developers come up with a solution.

Is it possible to buy a different internal wireless adapter maybe by intel for this pc and make that work? I was looking at the prices and they were like maybe 20 to $40 dollars. What do you think?

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I believe the last part needs to be as follows:
# really needed.
blacklist amd76x_edac
blacklist ssb
blacklist wl
blacklist b43Also, I notice that, in addtion to a blacklist.conf, you have a separate file, blacklist. Please copy and paste it for me. Thanks.

what is the command exactly?

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 04:01 PM
what is the command exactly?

never mind

blacklist bcm43xx
blacklist b43
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist ssb

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 04:03 PM
ok I fixed the blacklist.conf

I can't understand how we had it working the last time but can't get it this time. It's making me crazy.

chili555
August 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
So this is the blacklist file?
blacklist bcm43xx
blacklist b43
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist ssbAnd the long file you quoted above is the blacklist.conf file? If that is the case, you can safely remove the blacklist file entirely:
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklistYou don't need to worry about bcm43xx, since it no longer exists as a module in Jaunty aka 9.04. To be entirely safe, I'd probably add the b43legacy bit to blacklist.conf.

Now run iwconfig. Do you have an interface, wlan0 perhaps? Do you see networks? Can you connect?

Since we had an interface with the wl driver and could see your network, I am skeptical that ndiswrapper will help. However, stranger thaings have happened and I have been wrong before! So let's keep trying.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I called hp and found the intel card and part number that goes with this laptop. The question is is it supported. I pre ordered win 7 for 50 dollars. If this card works I can get it between 20 and 60 dollars. I can cancel my win7 pre order to pay for it. If the crad will work.

intel 802.11 a/b/g/n wlan circuit

part number 480985-001

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM
So this is the blacklist file?
blacklist bcm43xx
blacklist b43
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist ssbAnd the long file you quoted above is the blacklist.conf file? If that is the case, you can safely remove the blacklist file entirely:
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklistYou don't need to worry about bcm43xx, since it no longer exists as a module in Jaunty aka 9.04. To be entirely safe, I'd probably add the b43legacy bit to blacklist.conf.

Now run iwconfig. Do you have an interface, wlan0 perhaps? Do you see networks? Can you connect?

Since we had an interface with the wl driver and could see your network, I am skeptical that ndiswrapper will help. However, stranger thaings have happened and I have been wrong before! So let's keep trying.

Just to let you know. Some of this has changed because I have been screwing around with ndiswrapper. Also some things on that blacklist.conf I put there. It's not exactly how me and you set it up. Right now I can the wireless up by doing

sudo rmmod ssb wl
and
sudo modprobe wl

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I do not have wlan0

I have

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11 Nickname:""
Access Point: Not-Associated

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM
also I am not at home so I do not have acess to my network right now, but there are other networks here at work recognized. I just don't have the password.

chili555
August 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
If you can get the card to work with wl, the native driver, then ndiswrapper is not working for you. It does create an eth1 interface and it scans, but when it is taken over by knetworkmanager, it just won't connect.

When you scan at work:
sudo iwlist eth1 scanDo you see any networks with "key:off?" Can you connect to one of those? If so, that means your whole issue is encryption; that is, the WEP key.

Please do:
cat /etc/rc.localand copy and paste the result here.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
If you can get the card to work with wl, the native driver, then ndiswrapper is not working for you. It does create an eth1 interface and it scans, but when it is taken over by knetworkmanager, it just won't connect.

When you scan at work:
sudo iwlist eth1 scanDo you see any networks with "key:off?" Can you connect to one of those? If so, that means your whole issue is encryption; that is, the WEP key.

Please do:
cat /etc/rc.localand copy and paste the result here.

no all the keys are on. I tried connecting to what I thought was unsecure but there is no way to tell if they are just weak signals.

Here is the output you asked for.

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

chili555
August 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I called hp and found the intel card and part number that goes with this laptop. The question is is it supported. I pre ordered win 7 for 50 dollars. If this card works I can get it between 20 and 60 dollars. I can cancel my win7 pre order to pay for it. If the crad will work.

part number 480985-001I believe this is the Intel 5100 agn chipset. If you search this forum for '5100,' you will see that there are quite a few problems with it. If it were my money, I would not spend it to trade one monster for a new monster.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 05:13 PM
also I found this page about the intel card would work for me. I think the one at the bottom of that list corresponds with the part that HP gave me. Can you tell me if they are one and the same?

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_chipset.php?chipset=Intel

what hp told me

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I believe this is the Intel 5100 agn chipset. If you search this forum for '5100,' you will see that there are quite a few problems with it. If it were my money, I would not spend it to trade one monster for a new monster.

right, that is what I am trying to decide

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Do I need to go in and blacklist ndiswrapper now or remove it?

chili555
August 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# value on error.
#
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing. I hope that's not all there is to it! Please try again and see if there isn't one more line:
exit 0Please sudo kate /etc/rc.local and make it look like this:
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# value on error.
#
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
rmmod wl ssb
sleep 3
modprobe wl

exit 0Proofread, save and close. Restart the machine and run iwconfig. Do you have an eth1 interface? Good! Now we are ready to connect when you get home.

chili555
August 13th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Do I need to go in and blacklist ndiswrapper now or remove it?Not quite yet. Let's see what happens after you restart. We can clean this all up tonight. You seem to have a very tolerant employer, yes?

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Ok I changed it to what you wanted, and yes the exit 0 was there.

chili555
August 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM
And after a restart, is eth1 there?

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I did what you said. It didn't come up, but I changed some things from what me and you did the last time. When I get home I will put it back the way it was and hopefully those last few changes will take effect. I'm going there now. Should be back in about 30 minutes.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 06:05 PM
It's own like popcone. lol

It's working. It has to be the last thing you did. I put it back the way we did initially and then the only changes were what we just changed. I am going to put a full run down of the process in this thread if it's ok with you. With the disclaimer that this process may not work for everyone and that I am not the expert. You are, but this works for this set up. It should help a lot of people.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 06:05 PM
oh yeh I still have to restart.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM
good after the restart. Thanks a lot Chili you are the man. Nobody anywhere else had any solutions. I read tons of material.

chili555
August 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Kopete when you get home?

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Kopete when you get home?

I'm home now and Kopete is online.

BigCityCat
August 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM
i put the whole process here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7781802&posted=1#post7781802